Has anyone given up on anti-skating?

TheChairGuy

Re: Has anyone given up on anti-skating?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jul 2006, 06:17 pm »
So, what did you when you you did add the mysterious Longhorn mustache?  The change was rather excellent on my two cartridges.  'ohenry' mentioned to me in a PM that his Grado Green improved dramatically (he also applied the 100 cst silicone to the innards)

Someone really should make a replacement stylus/assembly for the lower end Grado's...with line contact, better diamond, maybe boron or better aluminum tube.  After all, Cratridge Man is doing not much more than that and pawning off Grado Gold's for $1000.00 now and getting accolades.  Sad, but true.  Too bad Grado's need tweeking after spending sometimes significant $$$ on them.

CD's are another issue entirely...there's not enough information at the beginning of the recording process to sound wholesome.  Whereas, with vinyl, there is lots of information, and playback equipment (including cartridge) are something of the more important constraint. It's Sometimes fixable (anti-skating is just a piece of that puzzle), and sometimes not.

TCG

O.K. Chair Guy, you've made me jump through two hoops (the first one was burning, HA,HA). Anyway all in fun, I went downtown yesterday and if I didn't find everything I needed to build a Longhorn for my Grado. Franks website is filled with all kinds of neat stuff. Anyway, It took about 2 hours to make and I think I did a real good job (for an Old Fart). This morning I installed it back into the Empire, did all of the aligning and then put on The Cars "Door to Door". Damn. There is so much information in those record grooves, I wonder if anyone can really open the door to this old technology. Maybe this is the same kind of problem with CD's. The information is there, we just haven't quite figured out how to get it all out of there in one cohesive, beautiful piece. It still bothers me that I have to tweek a $180 dollar cartridge to make it work right.

Thanks Chair Guy!