Numark TTX

Carlman

Numark TTX
« on: 14 Jul 2006, 07:01 pm »
I'm looking for an OK turntable to play records occasionally and be 'pretty good' for the price.  What do you think of this one: Numark TTX ?  (The link doesn't take you to the right place... you'll have to go to 'products', then select 'turntables' and it's the TTX... first one.)

A challenge in choosing a vinyl setup is the fact that I use a digital preamp. 
I will need one of the following scenarios to play (and hear) records:
1. An integrated amp with a phono input to bypass the digital preamp (currently trying this route, will see)...
2. A phono preamp that outputs digital (somewhat expensive and limited to 1 option, B&K's Phono 10d)
3. A turntable that outputs digital (Like the Numark, Stanton makes one also but it felt/looked cheaper)
4. A DAC card for my preamp + good phono preamp (very expensive for my needs)

Anyway, thought I'd pose this question to see what folks thought... I have a Sony PS-X600 table now.  I've put Kimber Kable KC-1 IC's on it... It's a good table.... not a great one... but gets the job done.  I'm using a Dynavector 10x5 cart.

Thanks,
Carl

Carlman

Re: Numark TTX
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2006, 09:22 pm »
So, is this like a totally bogus question or does Numark have no reputation?  :scratch:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2006, 12:12 am »
So, is this like a totally bogus question or does Numark have no reputation?  :scratch:

Pack the Sony with as much Plast-i-Clay inside as you can stuff in there and it will improve. Ditto the (most likely) cheap aluminum, ring prone platter and put a $50 Herbie's mat on it. Dial in azimuth, VTA, overhang, and tracking force spot on and put them up on some absorbent feet/puds and you might not think it so bad for playing records every once in a while.I did these things on my cheapie JVC direct driver and it surely did improve.....plastic (I think) tonearm and all.

As for the Numark, I have no idea about it, but that shortie tonearm tells me it's for scratchin', not playing great tunes.

jt1stcav

• Li'l Sammy...she loves directly heated triodes!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2006, 11:19 pm »
Stick with your Sony...IMO the Numarks aren't very reliable. I work at a Guitar Center and they're returned all the time due to reliability issues.