Fluorescent lights

PhilNYC

Fluorescent lights
« on: 14 Jul 2006, 03:22 pm »
Wasn't sure where to post this, but I figure most folks who are interested in HT take interest in room lighting etc.

I just moved to a new house and am using my basement for my listening room.  The room is fairly large (about 19' x 41' x 8ft), and built into the ceiling are a number of fluorescent light panels.  Are there any things that I can do to "warm up" the lighting in the room?  For example, are there:

- "Warm" fluorescent light bulbs?
- Panel filters that can warm things up?
- anything else?

Currently, the lighting doesn't come across as "harsh", but its certainly a bit whiter/brighter than I would like.  If I can't find anything that will help things out, I'll probably get a few floor lamps to use for "mood lighting", but I'd rather do something with the ceiling lighting so that everything is turned on/off from one wall switch.

Levi

Re: Fluorescent lights
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2006, 03:51 pm »
Congrats on the new place. 

I am sure you did some brain storming already.  I would turn off the Fluorescent lights when watching movies.  I would then get an ambient light specifically for HT watching.  Ideal-Lume Panelight from CinemaQuest dot com would be a great addition.

PhilNYC

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2006, 03:54 pm »
Yeah, I do turn the light off for watching movies...I'm mostly just wondering how to make the place look less like a room in an office building and have nice warm lighting (so when you come over for the Rave, you can take great pictures!  Otherwise you will need some lense filters...)...

Have you received your Panelight yet? 

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2006, 04:32 pm »
I have two of these (older models) behind my RPTV.  I can no longer watch TV without them. 

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2006, 04:38 pm »
As a lighting equipment designer for 27 years, I can throw this into the mix. They do make a warm white for your fluorscent fixtures. I am assuming they are the standard F48/T12 medium bi-pin (4 foot). Genreally there are only 2 to pick from, cool white or warm white. If you can't get the color you want, there are "gel filters" that allow only certain colors through, but that may get a little weird. They also make dimmable fluorscent ballasts, but they are expensive and you would have to rebuild your lights. I am just throwing that in as an idea. I have wall mounted incandescent sconces in my theater/music room that are on dimmers. I can set them so there is just a glow. A word on dimmers is needed here. They can be a source for AC line noise and make certain that the light circuit is not on the outlet circuit for the hifi system. Leviton makes an excellent dimmer with the least amount of noise if you decide to put in incandescent wall mounts. I'd try to get rid of the fluorscents as the lamps are a hazardous waste and disposal is a pain in the ars. Also fluorscents like to be run about 12-16 hours a day to maximize on survival. If the basement area is going to be a place where lights are turned on and off often, then I would look for a new lighting source. Incandescent isn't a bad word. you can throw them away when they are burnt out and you can manage their energy consumption by holding off on the wattage were gobbs of light aren't required. Good luck.

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2006, 04:58 pm »
Wayner,

Thanks for the great input.  I'll look into the warm white bulbs, as I agree that the gels might be a bit weird.

The long term plan would be to replace all the fluorescents, but at the moment I've spent a bit more money on other aspects of the room than I was intending (I had to get a sub-panel for my dedicated AC lines because the main panel was full, had all the walls stuffed with acoustic insulation, tons of room treatments, re-painting, pole covers, etc)...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2006, 05:02 pm »
pole covers....
Nice Phil....better grip for the dancers.... :lol:
Nice space there...looking forward to the Rave !!!

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2006, 05:03 pm »
I have not receive the lights as of today.

PhilNYC

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2006, 05:04 pm »
pole covers....
Nice Phil....better grip for the dancers.... :lol:
Nice space there...looking forward to the Rave !!!

Dancers...is Emil coming?  :lol: 8)

I think you'll be surprised at how different my gear sounds in this new room... 8)

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2006, 05:05 pm »
I have two of these (older models) behind my RPTV.  I can no longer watch TV without them. 

Btw - why do you need two?

Levi

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2006, 05:11 pm »
That's one for each side Phil.  I ordered two aswell.  One might not be enough.

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2006, 04:36 am »
Don't they make "daylight" bulbs for fluorescents? I thought I've seen them before at Lowe's. Though I've not paid quite so much attention to them as I don't personally have any fluorescents in the house, and when I install them (on that rare occasion) no one specifies the bulb type, so whatever gets picked up with the fixture is what gets put in there.

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2006, 04:57 am »
You are correct.  They make all sorts of Flourescent bulbs.  Name your color space in Kelvins 5000, 65000...