Static out of rear speakers on SP2, when power is off?

mlawson66

Well Folks, this one really has me stumped.  :scratch:  I've had an SP2 for a couple of weeks now. It sounds truly awesome in my system, most of the time. Aside from the loud popping noise (loud enough to pop fuses in my Ampzilla 2000 monoblocks) when we change channels on the cable box, or change digital sources, basically any time the digital signal format changes, we have another strange issue. This is a 7.1 installation, with the SP2 configured for 2 rear speakers. All of the amps stay on all the time, except during electrical storms and extended travel.

So, a couple days ago, when we were shutting things down for the night, my wife asked "What's that noise?". After a few minutes of investigation, we determined that white noise was leaking out of the rear speakers. The problem went away with the SP2 on. With the system muted, not a sound. Turn the power off to the SP2, and within 10 or 15 seconds, static on the rear speakers again.

Has anyone else out there experienced this behavior? The SP2 is the third pre/pro that has been in this system. I'm embarrassed to say the first one was an Outlaw Audio 950  :oops: the second one was a Sherwood Newcastle. Neither sounded anywhere as good as the SP2, but neither was this flaky.

Also, does anyone know if the right rear and left rear signal is identical? If the signal out of the two rear speakers is identical, I'm willing to try connecting both speakers to 1 of the rear channel outputs via a Y adapter.

mlawson66

Re: Static out of rear speakers on SP2, when power is off?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2006, 04:06 pm »
RE: Are left and right rear channels identical? It appears that there is some processing, something like a matrix or chorus effect on the rear channels. It appears that if I set the SP2 for 1 rear channel, and connect my rear speakers to the SP2 via Y adapter, the over all effect will be diminished.

This weekend, I'll try using one of my other amps to verify that the problem is not RF caused by the NuForce amps. I am very skeptical on this point, as the other 3 speakers driven by NuForce amps do not have this problem.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2006, 04:25 pm »
Hi,

The BACK channels in a 7.1 will be Stereo or Mono depending on the source.

In PL11X Music 7 or Movie 7 they will be Stereo. In Dolby EX or DTS Music 6 they will be Mono.

In THX Ultra Cinema and THX Games they will be Stereo.

james

mlawson66

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2006, 10:56 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for the info!  :D So, configuring the system for 6 speakers, and connecting the rear 2 with a "Y" adapter is not an optimal solution.  I'll try a linear amp this weekend. If the problem persists, I really don't know what to do.