SIG. 30 Questions

zeke

SIG. 30 Questions
« on: 13 Jul 2006, 08:38 pm »
I have been unable to answer these questions from the website info.

How many steps has the attenuator ?

What is the cost of replacement batteries at this time ?

Is there a possible battery sizing problem 2 or 3 years down the road ( batteries available later may not fit the current box size ) ....   ??

Thanx,
zeke

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: SIG. 30 Questions
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2006, 09:40 pm »
I have been unable to answer these questions from the website info.

How many steps has the attenuator ?

What is the cost of replacement batteries at this time ?

Is there a possible battery sizing problem 2 or 3 years down the road ( batteries available later may not fit the current box size ) ....   ??

Thanx,
zeke

Hi Zeke,

The DACT stepped attenuator volume control has 24 steps.  More details of it can be found here: http://www.dact.com/html/attenuators.html

The batteries can easily be found online and are made by quite a few companies.  For example, they are $7.95 each at batterymart.com:
http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=SLA-12V5-F1

This is a very popular model battery (used in other applications besides audio, such as security alarm system back-up, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, etc ) and will be around for many years to come.

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

Loftprojection

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2006, 02:03 pm »
Well even if this model/technology of battery would disappear, there will always be new type of batteries, smaller, lighter and more effective that will replace it.  So bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it, I think these battery operated toys Vinnie designs should be pretty resistant to aging, unlike us humans!   :wink:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2006, 02:19 am »
Trust me, the batteries used for the Sig 30 will be available for a long time.  They are made by many SLA battery manufacturers and are one of the most popular models.  The company that I get them from has quite a few thosand of them  :o

loki1957

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2006, 05:14 pm »
Hi all, I've read alot of posts and the 6 moon review of the Sig 30. My question is does the amp have the richness and mainly the texture that I here from good tube amps.

-Richard-

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2006, 02:11 am »
Hi loki1957 ~

I am currently working with 3 amps that I listen to regularly: Roger Modjeski's RM245.1
45 tube SET amp, on older integrated SEPentode tube amp and Vinnie's sensational
Signature 30 digital amp ~

I am currently using the Signature 30 amp exclusively because of my current setup...
which is a bit complicated to explain here ~

The Signature 30 has its own unique characteristics that make it a world-class amp:
an uncanny quietness that creates a profound feeling of intimacy... as if you happened
on a musical performance by sheer accident that was being performed under extraordinary
circumstances... the tone of every instrument is rich and very present... there is a palpableness
that has a visceral presence that can be easily felt... great speed and detail that always serves
the musical performance and does not call attention to itself... and like the best SET tube
amps... which happen to be Roger's... the Signature 30 has an organic wholeness to its
presentation... a gestalt that refuses to reveal any seams in its sense of the totality of the
living "presence" of the musical conglomeration ~

What speakers you have will impact on what you hear of course... the important thing here
is that the Signature 30 has the magic we are all looking for ~

The Signature 30 has its own unique sonic characteristics ~

Those characteristics make the Signature 30 extremely seductive... it possesses that
rare effect that only a few amps I have ever heard have: it pulls you into the inner
dimension of the music's structural and often hidden intelligence... voices are so warm
and accessible that you will find it hard to stop listening... the Signature 30 develops a
craving for female voices that is purely addictive!!!!

Warm Regards ~ Richard ~
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2006, 11:24 pm by -Richard- »

Dmason

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2006, 04:30 am »
I have been a dyed in the wool tube-o-phile since I was a teenager and couldn't afford a stereo like all the other boys, so I had to wire the amplifier of my Hammond C3 Organ into the Altec Voice of the Theatre speakers being used as a PA system by our band. The BIG sound of the Hammond PP6550 did it for me, and from the age of 15 I realized that current type amps were not for me. It was always tubes, until I stumbled across the T amps.

The Signature is a complete departure from even the finest sounding T amps I have heard, heard plenty and own about six of them. Despite the fact that I also own several very, very good tube amps, I have found myself listening exclusively to the Signature 30, over the last several weeks, as I imagine the amp to have crossed the 100+ hour mark and is offering my ears everything they want. It has become just an astonishing amp, I am listening to it play the Stargate TV show soundtrack with all this GLORIOUSLY musical orchestral music with synthesizer tracking, and whew, very monstrously tube-ish, but of course is not a tube amp. It does something even more interesting, and that is that it offers a sonic signature that my hearing cannot really distinguish from "tube." It is by far and away the best sounding solid state amp I have ever heard. Hope this helps.

loki1957

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2006, 02:22 pm »
Thanks guys, I guess I'll just have to try one and see if it works for me. I have as a back up amp an ARC D120 which for solid state is very warm and smooth. It can't do bass at all though. If I use it my bi-amped system on the top it is very nice indeed. Until I put my tube amps back in and then I can hear what is really missing. Mainly bloom and a texture to music and voices I just don't get with SS amps. I'm sure my tube amps are anything but what people call accurate and highly detailed. I just need the lushness I only have heard from good tubes.

-Richard-

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2006, 04:35 pm »
Hi Loki1957 ~

Vinnie has a wonderful way to try his amps... you can audition one in-home
for a certain amount of time and hear for yourself what all the excitement is all about ~

Warm Regards ~ Richard ~

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2006, 11:17 pm »
Hi Loki1957 ~

Vinnie has a wonderful way to try his amps... you can audition one in-home
for a certain amount of time and hear for yourself what all the excitement is all about ~

Warm Regards ~ Richard ~

Hi Richard and Dmason,

Thanks for posting your Signature 30 impressions for Loki1957.  I'm sure you guys are racking up the hours of use on your Sig 30s  :D.

Hi Loki1957,

What speakers are you using in your system?  Feel free to email me at vinnie@redwineaudio.com if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Vinnie

loki1957

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2006, 08:32 pm »

Hi Loki1957,

What speakers are you using in your system?  Feel free to email me at vinnie@redwineaudio.com if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Vinnie

I use either Michael Green Clasic 60s' or the top end of the Cabasse Baltic and Srombollis'. Both are easy to drive.