Titan XL and room size

jasonboulder

Titan XL and room size
« on: 13 Jul 2006, 06:22 pm »

Hello all. I'd like to solicit opinions as to the ACI Titan and my HT space.

I have a 7000 cu ft, multi-use space that contains living (with HT), dining, and kitchen areas. The 3000 cu ft living room (HT) is in the front, and backs up to the kitchen/dining remainder of the space. I've installed 5 in-wall speakers from Phase Tech in the living room for HT, but currently have no sub. I'm not looking to crack the drywall, but I do want a sub that does a good job. The sub itself will be less than 8 feet from the listening position. As much as I would love to put a Maestro in the room, there is simply no way I can afford the $2500 tag. $1300, however is a right at the limit of my budget, so enter the Titan XL.

Many have recommended powerhouse 12" ported subwoofers like the SVS Plus/2 for such a space, but regardless of the positives, the thing is MASSIVE, and fails WAF on the spot. And like I said, this isn't a dedicated HT. I want solid, enjoyable bass, but not necessarily 'wake the neighborhood' bass.

I'm a huge fan of the smaller form factor and great looks on the Titan XL, and it passes WAF with flying colors. The question then, is the space simply too big for the Titan to provide the bass I need? I've read that a sub's position relative to the listening position helps out alot, and the sub will be pretty close, but in a room this size, does it even matter?

I'll probably post this at AVS or Audioholics as well, but comments from those with Titans (or that MAKE Titans, wink wink) would be appreciated!

Mike Dzurko

• Facilitator
Re: Titan XL and room size
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2006, 02:16 pm »
Jason:

Your area is large . . . but there's no doubt that the Titan XL will do what you want. You'll get clean, potent bass of very high quality. Having it sit fairly close will help. It won't hit you as hard as a Maestro would, but it will give you plenty of satisfaction. And, they look even better in person than the pictures . . . you and your wife will love the looks. Order one and see for yourself, I guarantee you'll be pleased  :D

jasonboulder

Re: Titan XL and room size
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2006, 06:19 pm »

Thanks Mike. I will take your word for it and order a Titan. The audio forums seem populated with serious audiophiles who scoff at the notion of a 12 inch sealed sub in such a space, but for a regular Joe Blow like me, who has never owned any sub before, I don't feel the need to blow the roof off to be happy.

If the Titan doesn't produce the nice punch I hope for (which I doubt will happen, given your comment), then I'll return it and begin pinching pennies in hopes of affording the Maestro once day.

On a side note, Mike, with the Maestro, I have high quality RG6 running through the wall from my receiver point to an outlet in the far corner for a sub. It was intended for a sub with onboard amp (Titan). If I end up with an outboard amp (ie. Maestro), can I put the amp in my receiver cabinet and use the RG6 cable to connect the sub, or do the amp and sub need to be together on a different cable?

Thanks for all your help!

Jason