The ultimate Squeezebox PS/Mod square off!! Coming to Houston, TX

95bcwh

Wayne is kind enough to send me some of his top end SB2 mod including his Ultimate Power Supply and the Elpac. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I already have RWA fully modded SB3. And two days ago when I ordered some stuff from Aberdeen Component for my Tact 2.0S, Anthony was excited to learn that I'm going to do a shoot out between the two SB mods, so he said he would send me his power supply too! :green:

3 of the biggest names come together in one place at the same time.

If there's any member in Houston (whom I'm not aware of) would like to participate in the shoot out (on the week of July 23). Send me a PM.

I must be the luckiest person in the world :lol: :lol: :lol:

« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2006, 11:48 pm by 95bcwh »

ctviggen

Please level match each one of these and also use the same interconnects.  Inasmuch as possible, change only one variable -- the power supply in this case -- at one time. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Well I am pretty confident which one will come out on top, but it will be interesting to see the results.

Will you be sending the digital signal to the TacT (I certainly hope so)?

George

brj

Sounds like an interesting comparison!  I wish Houston were a little closer to the DFW area... you'd probably get a bunch of volunteer auditioners to show up! :)

JohnnyLightOn

It would be great if you could compare them as transports to an outboard DAC, as well as using their analog outs.   :D

arthurs

not like us to shy away from a little drive for a shootout Brian.... :)

tonyptony

It would be great if you could compare them as transports to an outboard DAC, as well as using their analog outs.   :D

Seconded. Many of us are using SB2/3 as digital servers to high end DACs. Please cover this as well (if possible), and if you do make sure to disable the internal volume adjustment!

Oh, and one vote for using the stock supply as a control.

95bcwh

Thanks for all the suggestions :thumb:.. I will try it both way, first just run all the SB analog out directly into the amp.

After that I will set up my Tact, and run the SB digital out into it. I bought the power supply and the DAC board from Aberdeen Component. I will see how much impact they made, then I will probably send the whole unit to Anthony for further mod  :green:

The most expensive cable in my system now is a pair of Zu Gede Single Ended IC :icon_lol:, I use 14 gauge normal zipcord as speaker cable. My plan is to leave cable upgrading till the very end, until I have gotten all my gears/room set up probably.
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2006, 11:49 pm by 95bcwh »

Double Ugly

I recently conducted a similar comparison of Anthony's PS and my Bolder Ultimate.  Assuming neither Anthony nor Wayne have made appreciable changes to their respective PSs, it will be interesting to see if your findings match my own.

shokunin

Now, if we had a battery powered Off-Ramp Turbo 2 to the mix.... that would be VERY interesting!!!

95bcwh

Now, if we had a battery powered Off-Ramp Turbo 2 to the mix.... that would be VERY interesting!!!

This off-ramp stuff needs a PC nearby in order to work right?

gongos

This off-ramp stuff needs a PC nearby in order to work right?

I can be up to 30' away with a powered hub.

95bcwh

Just to note down some of my initial impression of Bolder's SB2 mods.

I have to say millions of thanks to Wayne who have sent me so many high quality products for audition. I asked to audition his ultimate power supply and his modded SB2, but he's kind enough to also include his Elpac mod, plus his NITRO cables/Interconnect, digital IC, and power cords. And he also sent me some test tones but unfortunately the DVD was cracked during transport. But I have no complain, I think I'm already one of the luckiest person in the world. :green:

Last night I have tested his Elpac, Ultimate power supply and the modded SB2 and they all work fine with no problem.

I am running my RWA modded SB3 digital out into Tact 2.0S with Aberdeen power supply and DAC, into Bryston 4B-SST, into a pair of HT3.

I first swapped out my speaker cable (zip cord) with the Nitro cable, and the difference I heard was that the Nitro removes a little bit of harshness on the high end and the mid range was fuller.

Then I hooked up the Ultimate PS+Bolder's modded SB2 to the Tact via the second digital input, I use the digital cable included in the package to connect between the Ultimate PS and the SB2, according to Wayne, it's built with WBT NextGen connecters, I'm using one of his Nitro AC power cord to connect the Ultimate PS to my wall outlet without power conditioner. The Ultimate PS+Bolder' s modded SB2 further improve the smoothness of the sound, at first it wasn't obvious, but as I switched between the two several time I can then start to notice the difference, my system now sound pretty much silky smooth without sacrificing the transparency, I no longer miss a tube amp again..:)

Now I must admit that the comparison may not be 100% fair to the RWA modded SB3 because I used a cheap bluejeanscable digital IC to connect to the Tact. I can't use Wayne's digital cable because Vinnie's modification requires BNC plug at the source.

These are based on my initial impression, I haven't had time to listen to them critically, and in fact I need to let all the Ultimate power supply and the Elpac to break in further before I can sit down and listen again.

I'm getting more people (and more ears) to my home next week, some of them are long time audiophile but have no clue about squeezebox, so it will be interested to hear what they have to say.

More to come later.

barry

PeteG

Barry,
 Are you going to try Wayne's Ultimate PS+Bolder's modded SB2 directly in to your amps.

Pete

95bcwh

Barry,
 Are you going to try Wayne's Ultimate PS+Bolder's modded SB2 directly in to your amps.

Pete

Yeah..I will try it tonight...too many gears..too many different combination, enough to keep me busy for the whole week! :green:

F-100

Barry,
 Look like you got your hand full for the next few weeks playing around with those expensive toys. You're one lucky dude!!
Have fun and make sure to have a box of Q-tips handy.  :icon_lol:

95bcwh

Barry,
 Look like you got your hand full for the next few weeks playing around with those expensive toys. You're one lucky dude!!
Have fun and make sure to have a box of Q-tips handy.  :icon_lol:

F-100....didn't expect you to reading my post...I thought you have lost "hope" in this hobby?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loftprojection

Now I must admit that the comparison may not be 100% fair to the RWA modded SB3 because I used a cheap bluejeanscable digital IC to connect to the Tact. I can't use Wayne's digital cable because Vinnie's modification requires BNC plug at the source.

You should at least use the same bluejeanscable with a RCA adapter on the BNC to do your compare. Even if it is not as high quality as the Bolder you will put both SB at the same level.  I use a Stereovox HDXV that comes with BNC on both ends and is supplied with RCA adapters.  There are probably plenty of other digital cables that you can have with BNC and RCA adapters.  If you don't use the same cable it is not very fair for one of the two SB you are reviewing. 

Occam

Well I am pretty confident which one will come out on top, but it will be interesting to see the results....

I would think it might well hinge on both the quality of the AC fed to the powersupplies and quality to the external powerconditioning, if any. One can design a unit assuming it will be fed from whatever high quality powerconditioner, RunningSprings, BPT,etc.... or assuming the AC it will be fed to the component is absolute crap. Both design approaches are valid. I've actually found that with appropriate external powerconditioning, its beneficial to remove whatever conditioning efforts were originally installed in the unit.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Well I am pretty confident which one will come out on top, but it will be interesting to see the results....

I would think it might well hinge on both the quality of the AC fed to the powersupplies and quality to the external powerconditioning, if any. One can design a unit assuming it will be fed from whatever high quality powerconditioner, RunningSprings, BPT,etc.... or assuming the AC it will be fed to the component is absolute crap. Both design approaches are valid. I've actually found that with appropriate external powerconditioning, its beneficial to remove whatever conditioning efforts were originally installed in the unit.

I made my comment not based on the approach or design (I agree both can work and provide excellent results), but based on the fact that I have owned both and been able to evaluate them head to head in my system.

George