• Selah Audio Mass. Demo: 29 Jul 2006

Gardner, MA Demo

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Gardner, MA Demo
« on: 10 Jul 2006, 03:07 am »
Please join us on Saturday July 29th. Email irs_beta@hotmail.com for directions, time, and other information.

MarkM

Re: Gardner, MA Demo
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2006, 04:14 pm »
Look forward to meeting you Rick and of course hearing a Line Array design.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2006, 11:14 pm »
Look forward to meeting you Rick and of course hearing a Line Array design.

That's great to hear. See you on the 29th.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2006, 11:26 pm »
Rick,

Which speaker or speakers will you be demonstrating?

What is the other associated gear?

George

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2006, 11:33 pm »
Are you new guys allowed who are trying to hear as many systems as possible to develop a reference?

Please be honest.  I am not capable of buying speakers at this time but would sure love to hear yours Rick!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2006, 02:22 am »
Rick,

Which speaker or speakers will you be demonstrating?

What is the other associated gear?

George

The front end is Levinson Reference equipment (preamp / amps / transport / DAC) plus a Sony SCD-777ES for SACD. I'll have a new array, the RS8, the DEQX, and possibly another set of speakers.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2006, 02:25 am »
Are you new guys allowed who are trying to hear as many systems as possible to develop a reference?

Please be honest.  I am not capable of buying speakers at this time but would sure love to hear yours Rick!

You're welcome to come listen and I look forward to meeting you.

beemer

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2006, 01:02 am »
I am the host for the Gardner Demo, so far we have 8 attendees, including myself. Time is getting short, I would sure like to see more people show up~! In addition to the Levinson Reference system, I am a collector of vintage gear. Lots to see. On the main system we also can and will spin vinyl. There's a second full Levinson system, (390S, 380S, 33H) that I can set up if Rick brings any monitor speakers (and stands!) Bring your favorite CD's.

I am quite intrigued by Rick's designs and I am for sure looking forward to a listen. I'm sure there are others so shoot me an email at either: irs_beta@hotmail.com or beemers@verizon.net   :thumb:

Hoping to see YOU there!

Best,

Paul :green:

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2006, 02:34 pm »
Myself and a couple of friends plan on coming and we have all got the OK from Paul.

I would feel much better about attending the demo if i could take part some how.  None of my DIY speakers are finished but I do have a Behringer DEQ2496, SRC2496, and a modded DCX2496 with balanced analog outputs. 

I am willing to bring the Behringer electronics and whatever cables I have if there will be time for comparison against the DEQX.  I have not had the chance to use this equipment yet but it seems to be in good working order.

This is just a thought!   

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2006, 04:01 am »
Myself and a couple of friends plan on coming and we have all got the OK from Paul.

I would feel much better about attending the demo if i could take part some how.  None of my DIY speakers are finished but I do have a Behringer DEQ2496, SRC2496, and a modded DCX2496 with balanced analog outputs. 

I am willing to bring the Behringer electronics and whatever cables I have if there will be time for comparison against the DEQX.  I have not had the chance to use this equipment yet but it seems to be in good working order.

This is just a thought!   

I'm here at my hotel  south of Hartford, CT and need to give an update. I didn't bring the DEQX so we'll be running the arrays with the passive crossover. While I think the Behringer equipment would be interesting to hear it would take some time to properly set it up for use with an array. With the amount of time available this simply isn't possible. Don't let this discourage you and I look forward to meeting you and your friends.

Rick

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2006, 03:38 am »
Thanks to Paul for hosting and everyone who attended. On to Philly tomorrow...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2006, 03:48 am »
Hey Rick....you towing a trailer like the last tour ? Have a safe trip.... :thumb:
Chris

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2006, 04:21 am »
Hey Rick....you towing a trailer like the last tour ? Have a safe trip.... :thumb:
Chris

I rented a SUV and am setting new records for $ in filling a tank. I don't know how you NE guys have enough money leftover to buy CD's  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2006, 04:23 am »
Chris

I rented a SUV and am setting new records for $ in filling a tank. I don't know how you NE guys have enough money leftover to buy CD's  :lol:
Cool Rick !! Thanks to all the gas taxes, its up there in price....keep your receipts....its a tax writeoff.... :lol:
Happy trails.... :thumb:
Chris

beemer

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2006, 05:25 pm »
 :evil:

Great weekend with you guys, I took a lot of pix, they will be up later.

Unfortunately not only did I have some digital source problems, and now today I have to restore my computer as well :nono: :scratch:

Thanks to all who came, it was a pleasure to meet you all.

Best,

Paul  :green:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jul 2006, 07:09 pm »
I want to thank Beemer(Paul) for opening his doors to Rick Craig and allowing me the opportunity to hear the Selah Audio RS8 Line Array. It was a pleasure to meet Rick Craig and talk audio with him. Rick's a very personable guy and a true credit to AudioCircle. With my limited exposure to audio components in Vermont and my limited history in audio in general, it was a rare treat for me to audition such a floorstanding loudspeaker.  :hyper:

I found the RS8 to be quite the eye candy, with the rounded curvature of the back and the thick square base that this line Array sits on. And heavy!  :o I had the pleasure of helping carry these babies out to Rick's SUV, these are not people with weak backs. As for the performance of Ricks Array, it was incredible how these Array's, placed straight forward, filled up the medium sized room with music. As much is I enjoyed sitting in the sweet spot, I found standing in the back of the room just as satisfying. The midrange was very detailed & full, filling the room completely and it's integration with the ribbon tweeters was seemless. There was no listening fatigue whatsoever with all those ribbons. What surprised me the most was the bass,,, nice n' tight. It complemented the midrange quite nicely and it makes me wonder if the addition of a subwoofer might have taken away from what was being done here so excellently. Just guessing here.  :dunno:

Anyways, I can't thank Rick Craig enough for making this trip to New England for us Yankee infidels. :notworthy: It was waay out of his way and I for one totally appreciate his time and efforts.  :thumb:

Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jul 2006, 08:50 pm »
Great to have you back Robin!   :thumb:

Now that I am closer (I am outside of Boston) to you, maybe one day you can swing down and hear the "new" system in the new house.

I would have liked ot have been over there yesterday, but it just wasn't in the cards.

To be honest, I am more interested in Rick's new RC5 than the arrays anyway.

George

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jul 2006, 09:29 pm »
Great to have you back Robin!   :thumb:

Now that I am closer (I am outside of Boston) to you, maybe one day you can swing down and hear the "new" system in the new house.

I would have liked ot have been over there yesterday, but it just wasn't in the cards.

To be honest, I am more interested in Rick's new RC5 than the arrays anyway.

George

It's good to be back George,,,, it really is. :icon_lol: Now that I have a Dodge Magnum (hea, it's got a HEMI), I'm just egging for an excuse to get it out on the road. I was just down in Hopkington two weekends ago having a 750G Seagate hard drive installed in my HTPC at Cellar Cinemas. I'd love to hear anysystem of yours George!  :thumb: I can also state I'd love the opportunity to hear anything that Rick Craig has made after having the opportunity to hear his RS8 Line Arrays. I still can't get over how these Line Arrays sounded while just standing against the back wall. :o  Hell I was just happy to be there anyways.  :beer:

Robin

beemer

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2006, 01:48 am »
Here's pix from yesterday in Gardner:

Discussion was all audio.

Arrays all set up and ready to go.

The arrays were lookin' good up close.

It was fun hosting, my thanks again to all who showed up. Forgive my poor name retention.
The arrays had a smooth and easy to listen to all day sound. The transition from the cones to ribbons was near-seamless and very hard to detect. Imaging was wonderful with a full center image and great spread from side-to-side. Rick has done well finding the balance between brightness and resolution, I have heard speakers with more resolution, my own Aerials included, however the Arrays served the music exceptionally well, and that's what counts to me. Cabinetry and build quality were top-notch.

Best,

Paul  :green:

MarkM

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2006, 02:31 am »
Big thanks to Paul for hosting this event and Rick for traveling to New England.  Paul has an impressive collection of audio gear and music.  One look around told me this guy likes his music and has an understanding wife.  :beer:

The RS8s were setup well into the room, amp I heard was a McIntosh tube amp reissue and I think a Levinson pre and Sony source.   Paul has more equipment than some dealers. :o As Robin stated the RS8 is a very attractive looking speaker.  The sound is even more impressive.  I was able to listen to the first 7 songs on one of my favorite cds, Ben Harper, Fight For Your Mind, in the "sweet spot".  I have pounded this cd to death for years.  I have to say I have never heard such depth to this recording as I did with the RS8's.  My impressions, big sound stage, depth, solid image-even if you are slightly off center, want to stand and listen, this speaker does it.  Musical and detailed.  I can't emphasive the depth the music had.   Very different than a traditional point source speaker.   After hearing the array, this makes a decision on my next speaker project that much more difficult.
 :scratch: