Australian CDs, Vinyl and Music

jules

Australian CDs, Vinyl and Music
« on: 5 Jul 2006, 11:24 pm »
For every Australian artist who achieves international fame there's a huge number of creative and inspiring lesser knowns that don't. This thread is intended to be a place for Aussies to offer up their own personal tastes in music as well as being a portal for people in other countries to get inside info. on what's hot locally. Specialized and eccentric contributions are welcome. Reviews of new releases and re-evaluations of lost gems all have their place here.

I'll make a list of CD and Vinyl retailers part of this post in the near future [ie when I get a list of contacts  together]. While Sanity might dominate the market, there are a host of smaller places like Fish, So and the ABC that go beyond the standard popular material.

Information on music events such as Womad [world music]or Tamworth [country music] etc can be posted here. Some of the more significant music events are also recorded which makes them eligible for mention on two counts I guess.

jules

« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2006, 01:07 am by jules »

HumanMedia

Re: Australian CDs, Vinyl and Music
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2006, 03:04 am »
Sydney inner city residents should check out 2FBI radio station which has a fantastic program of music including incredible Australian Music which you never hear on other stations (like the corporate whores 2JJJ).

2FBI is like what 2JJJ used to be like before they got taken over mind and soul by the ex-Triple M management.

2FBI - 94.5

http://www.fbi.org.au/

(I have no affiliation)

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2006, 06:28 am »
Australian radio stations suck, they play alot australian music which i dont like,
good australian music was that of 80s 70s 60s etc

the only way i enjoy my amps is through cd, why listen to radio, other people
choose music for you and try to promote artists who suck

cheers

jules

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2006, 10:59 pm »
HumanMedia,

thanks for the suggestion and link ... think you might be right about the decline of JJJ as well.

G.G.

that's a bit harsh isn't it  :). Radio is a pretty good place to pick up potential CD purchases even if the other 99% doesn't interest you. I don't know where you live but do you have any recommendations for great places to buy CDs?

jules

DSK

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2006, 12:12 am »
JB HiFi prices are always much lower than Sanity or HMV, even on Top 20 stuff ($18 vs $21).

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2006, 12:26 am »
Jules-

G.G.

that's a bit harsh isn't it  . Radio is a pretty good place to pick up potential CD purchases even if the other 99% doesn't interest you. I don't know where you live but do you have any recommendations for great places to buy CDs?
------------------------------------------------------------------
yes radio is good only when they play good music, not when they try to promote music that sucks
those mainstream radio stations suck because they think they can tell people whats good and whats
not, i like local and international artists who are good, the recording and radio industries think they
can sell anything by playing it over and over to give the perception of whats good

good music promotes itself by being exceptional, in radio they try to agressively promote music because of $$$$,it sucks, they could be playing good music instead

cheers

Greg Erskine

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2006, 02:06 am »
Hi Jules,

IMHO, Dirt cheap CDs is the place to buy CDs - $10 to $15. I usually buy 4 or 5 and try to pick an "odd" one that I would not usually buy.

They are online as well - http://www.dirtcheapcds.com.au/

Aussie Bands: A mixture of old and new, all very good IMHO - The John Bulter Trio, Spiderbait, Powerfinger, John Farnham, Kasey Chambers, AC/DC, Sunnyboys, Taxi Ride, Jet, Delta Goodrem, James Reyne, Diesel, Tina Arena, Kylie, Wendy Matthews, Vanessa Amorosi, Air Supply, Baby Animals, Australian Crawl, Suzi Demarchi, Gangajang, Riptides, George, Darren Hayes, David Hole, Hoodoo Gurus, Inxs, Midnight Oils, Radio Birdman, Savage Garden, The Whitlams, The Radiators, Skyhooks.

Some I never listened to on the radio, didn't like them, but on a good hi-fi system, good talent always shines through, like Wendy Matthews and Vanessa Amorosi. Bands like Midnight Oil, absolutely fantastic live but their CDs are only OK.

OT: Australian Radio: After 25 years of 2JJ/2JJJ I'm now getting on and have become an ABC AM listener (i.e. no music)

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2006, 10:26 am »
Hi,

I've recently discovered dirtcheap cd's and will be buying from them in the future.  The hardest thing i find after having spent so much money on my system is trying to find well recorded cd's that i actually like.

Regards

Rod

ps i can only listen to dianna krall so many times.  The Coors 'home' cd from rhino records sounds great.

Andy G

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2006, 11:11 pm »
The only time I listen to radio is in the van, even then I rarely have it turned onand when I do, I tend to flick channels trying to find something listenable.

Now, being in Newcastle, and actually doing sound mixing for fun, I have heard quite a bit of live music, some of it good, and shows promise, some of it is 3 chord junk (I try to avoid that if I can).  Trouble is that my tastes are rather different than what the younger generation seems/pretends to like. Bands that I consider interesting, playing music, usually fold after a while, whereas young hack 3-chorders seem to last longer. Also the advent of the DJ and karaoke has made it even harder for musos to get decent funds out of anyone.  Band wages haven't really changed in like 15 years !!! 
It is also very hard for any new band to get any consistent airplay even on most of the local radio stations, and they often choose the crap anyway.

jules

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2006, 02:36 am »
Thanks Greg,

that's a great list

Rod,

If you're a Diana Krall fan you might like to try Norah Jones. She's got two CD's ... Come away with me and Feels like home. The first one is probably the best. If you want to have a go at something vaguely equivalent in Aus. terms you could try Renee Geyer's Tenderland. She's had many years in Aus music and this CD had very good reviews when it came out a few years back.

RESOURCES ....

At some point I'll gather all these together and make a compact sticky but here's a few that might be useful

Fish Records: www.fishrecords.com.au/

Fish has stores in central sydney [classical] along with Balmain, Glebe, Leichardt, Mossman and Newtown. Their range goes from classical through Jazz to rock etc. and while they are fairly mainstream, they definitely offer more than the usual fare. The staff are knowlegeable and there's a good smattering of specials to make an expedition there seem like money well spent. The website isn't particularly informative but it's possible to make purchases from outside Sydney.

Red Eye Records: www.redeye.com.au/

The Red Eye website is detailed so I'll leave the hunting to you. I haven't bought anything from Red Eye but they have shops on two levels at 66 King st. Sydney along with a third shop at 370 Pitt st. They offer New, Imports, 2nd hand, collectables and vinyl.

Dixon recycled: www.dixons.com.au

I've visited the Dixon shop in Brunswick st. Melbourne and I can report that they have a very large and diverse range of 2nd hand Cd's. They are well organized and I've found things there that drew blank stares when I've asked elsewhere.

I've got a heap more of these places to add but I'll just be doing it when I get a spare moment.

Please add any of your own favourites

jules

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2006, 04:46 am »
No radio beats cd listening, hi guys,talking about good music go get the santana-3cd-great hits collection
when listened through a class-a amplifiers wow i cant put it in words the clarity of its music
simply amazing, also kylie minogue's pop music appears more live when played through a good
class-a amplifier

GGA class-a amplification

regards

bluesky

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2006, 10:05 am »
Hi Everyone

OK, time to spill one of my long held dreams..........creating a library of Australian music.

I have often thought of asking the other members of our local audio club here in Brisbane to collate all our various collections of Australian records and CD's and try to put it all together onto some sort of computer storage thingy (it's obvious I am not computer literate!). 

Over time it would hopefully grow to something substantial and be a source that people could access to both add to and to listen to, a kind of "living document" if you will.  Of course, I realise that this may mean problems with copyright and such but it "seemed like a good idea at the time".   

Anyone have any input to this idea, perhaps there is an archive already existing?  Would there be a way for musicians to be able to receive a small royalty without compromising the ideal of having access and knowledge of Australian music to genuine audiophiles?  I would like to hear from people about this idea.

Best regards to all,

Bluesky

PS Thanks again Rod!     

jules

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2006, 12:38 am »
Some ambition Bluesky! Does this mean you've got a fairly large collection already? Would you want to collect even stuff you don't like all that much?

I imagine the ABC with all its arms, might have the biggest collection in their archives. I wonder if they have some sort of index system or indeed, if anyone has something like a listing of all Oz stuff that has ever been. Red Eye, who I mentioned in an earlier resources post, will do searches for obscure material. I might try them out on something

Anyone help me here? I've been trying to remember the name of a a performer from about 15-20 years ago. He was originally English but sang basic shearers/workers songs with a strong Aus. accent. His work was simple but strong. I think one or two of his songs rated as hits at some level.

jules

bluesky

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2006, 01:06 pm »
Hi Jules

No I don't have a big collection but what triggered the thought was when I was rummaging through some old records at a nearby market and came across a number of early rock albums, unfortunately it looked as though most of these records had been used as frisbees during their short life on earth.. 

This incident in turn triggered memories of group like Gerry Humphries and the Loved Ones, Taman Shud and Spectrum/Indelible Murtceps etc and it brought on thoughts of how often friends and acquaintances would say "do you remember such and such group, or, who was it that sang that song etc".

Of course the obvious answer is that there should be a record and music library for Australian music and one may well already exist but where and who.  If there isn't one how do we make one?  That is when there idea of some sort of computer based open document/data storage system that people could not only access but also add to could be a damn good idea.

I would not mind collecting stuff but didn't see it like that, more along the lines of the Linux tpre of open system where individuals can add the stuff that they had and this would allow for all tastes in music, not just my own small collection.

The computerised process is not something I have the ability to do, but I believe it would be a great asset to all of us who love music.

Cheers

Bluesky   

jules

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2006, 11:29 pm »
oh yes ... I sure know the "who was it who played, sang etc etc feeling  :). You mention some great groups there but you're so right about old vinyl. I've got some myself that I took good care of but unless you are totally obsessive about it [which I certainly wasn't at the time  :)], it does wear significantly with use. 

This rather dry looking website:

http://www.musicians.asn.au/union/vic/index.html

gives access to an online magazine published by the musicians union and containing music reviews by the likes of Glen A Baker, Dan Oakes and Emma Waters. There's also an archive of back issues which cold be handy.

jules

Andy G

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jul 2006, 08:06 am »
I have about 70 discs of stuff I have recorded at live gigs.  I can upload them maybe 2 tracks per week (or whenever) if people are interested. (I refuse to go less than around 160bps on the compression, so big files)
They were done direct to stereo chrome cassette tape on a top Yamaha tape deck at live gigs while mixing, then transfered to disc, some have good quality, some don't.. that's the nature of live recordings !!!

The music varies from quality jazz to not so quality, young formative rock bands, alternative and progressive blues.  ie all sorts of stuff !! 

So... please reply if anyone is interested.

bluesky

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jul 2006, 10:13 am »
Hi Andy

I will step forward with a request for any of your collection of music.  I also appreciate the effort needed to do this.

Bluesky

Rocket

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jul 2006, 10:51 am »
Hi Ian,

Finally the cornet classic is working.  I installed the lundahls and they actually work which is amazing for me as i usually stuff up soldering.  They are set up a little too low in the gain department and i guess i'll have to sort that out eventually.  The cornet comes with stock loxon caps and it does sound quite good imo.  There is hum from my system but i have lost the grounding wire from the phono interconnect and i guess that is the reason why its humming.  I've ordered a new interconnect and belt for the bluenote piccolo.

I'll let you know how it goes.  Did you ever finish the cornet and clarinet?  I'd love to hear what a clarinet sounds like as i'd like to build one eventually.

Regards

Rod