Meet: July 16 not working, how about July 23? (Sunday)

Carlman

I will be in a good place to host a meeting one of those 2 weekends.  This could be a mostly social gathering but I'll be glad to share the results of my latest findings... not sure what I'll have just yet for amplification but at least a Butler 2250 and a borrowed pair of CI Audio D200 monoblocks. 

Please RSVP with which Sunday works best (or both) by this weekend... that way I can plan a little food and drink... If you have suggestions for food, let me know.  Otherwise I could just grill sausage dogs and/or burgers with beer/wine/sodas.

Thanks,
Carl

EDITED... sorry, I had Monday's dates instead of Sunday's...
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2006, 01:38 pm by Carlman »

sheadlee

Re: Meet: July 17 or July 24?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2006, 07:00 pm »
Hey, Carl  :o!!

July 17 & July 24 are Monday's :scratch:????? I definitely can't do Monday's!!

Maybe you were looking at the month of June calendar. If you do them on Saturday's, then I can't get there until around 2:00-3:00PM...but I would love to come see/hear what you have done.

Carlman

Re: Meet: July 17 or July 24?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2006, 07:27 pm »
Hey, Carl  :o!!

July 17 & July 24 are Monday's :scratch:????? I definitely can't do Monday's!!

Maybe you were looking at the month of June calendar. If you do them on Saturday's, then I can't get there until around 2:00-3:00PM...but I would love to come see/hear what you have done.

Steve, I don't know what I was looking at.. I meant for it to be those 2 Sundays.  I think Sundays work out best for us generally.  Sorry for the confusion.

-C

sheadlee

Re: Meet: July 16 or July 23? (Sundays)
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2006, 08:54 pm »
Carl,

Thanks for the update...I can make either one...at any time...since they are Sunday's.

So...I will be happy to join the gang, for whichever day works best, for all  :thumb:

Hantra

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2006, 10:39 am »
Count me in either weekend.   :thumb:

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2006, 12:33 pm »
Thanks for being so accomodating...
I'll know for sure which day we can have this on the 12th.  That's when the doors should be here.  I'd like to plan for the 16th and if the doors fall through make it the weekend following... So, I'm 90% certain it'll happen the 16th.... we'll see as the time gets closer.

-C

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2006, 12:51 am »
Carl,
Any better prognostication on this weekend or next?
Tim

Carlman

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2006, 02:09 am »
Well... Lowe's gave me a 'limp' answer and said they'd know for sure tomorrow when my door will be installed.

I need to confirm all the amps can/will be here tomorrow... I haven't heard from Zybar but he wasn't feeling well when I last spoke to him... So, I'm not sure if the D200's will be here... I'm pretty sure the McIntosh is ready to go... and the Butler is of course here... and my preamp is enroute and should be here tomorrow... So, it's all coming together OK but I need to confirm things.

I will let you know for sure/for sure tomorrow.

Thanks and sorry I don't know yet...

-Carl

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2006, 02:24 am »
Well... Lowe's gave me a 'limp' answer and said they'd know for sure tomorrow when my door will be installed.

I need to confirm all the amps can/will be here tomorrow... I haven't heard from Zybar but he wasn't feeling well when I last spoke to him... So, I'm not sure if the D200's will be here... I'm pretty sure the McIntosh is ready to go... and the Butler is of course here... and my preamp is enroute and should be here tomorrow... So, it's all coming together OK but I need to confirm things.

I will let you know for sure/for sure tomorrow.

Thanks and sorry I don't know yet...

-Carl

Sorry to report that the amp won't be there tomorrow.  As Carl mentioned, I was sick and work has just been silly busy lately.  I won't have time to ship the amps till this Saturday.  So if you push it to Sunday the 23rd, no problem.

George

Carlman

Re: Meet: July 16 not working, how about July 23? (Sunday)
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2006, 01:54 pm »
George, that's totally cool... hope things are getting better for you.

I'm going to move it anyway because I have my doubts about the doors... and I really want to compare the D200's to the MA6300. 

So, mark your calendars... The official meet is on July 23rd.  However, if anyone wants to come around for the 16th, you're welcome to, just let me know.

-Carl

sheadlee

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2006, 02:33 pm »
I will be there on the 23rd...looking forward to it :thumb:!

Carlman

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2006, 05:51 pm »
Carl,
Any better prognostication on this weekend or next?
Tim

Tim,
Do you check your PM's? ;)

-C

Carlman

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jul 2006, 06:27 pm »
Just a quick update...
If no major hiccups occur this week, I should have quite a few amps to hear this coming weekend... the latest additions coming from Hantra/Brandon and Mauimods/Anthony at Aberdeen. 
So, here's the list:
CI Audio D200's (MSRP 2500?)
Butler 2250 (MSRP 3300)
McIntosh MA-6300 integrated (MSRP 3300)
McIntosh MC501 monoblocks (MSRP 9000?)
TacT 2150 (fully modified by Aberdeen) (MSRP 3900.... 2300 for mods + cost of new unit... which according to Shane and Anthony recently went on sale for 1600... but we're not sure if those are 'new' or 'refurbs')

Source: PC feeding the fully modified TacT RCS 2.0S preamp which acts as a DAC also.
Speakers: Piega P5 Limiteds, measured to within 1/16" of each other to the listening position.
Speaker and IC Cable: Greg Straley's Reality Cables
Digital IC: Analysis Plus Oval 9
Power Conditioning: don't know yet... but I do have a dedicated outlet.
The room has been tuned as well it can be... and it sounds quite nice at the moment.  There's only 1 real sweet spot now but there's still room for 3 on the couch.  Share as usual. ;)

I'll have a 'staging room' to plug in all the amps and keep them warmed up.  We'll swap them in and out as fast and safely as possible.

Things I'll need:
dB meter and test cd for matching levels between amps.
Beer, chips, and sodas  (I'll make the main course of hot dogs and burgers for lunch.. if you're a vegetarian... I have 'veggie burgers'...)
Well-recorded music on cd or .flac file that you'd like to use for evaluation.  (If none are brought, I'll use a few I have... Likely Damien Rice, Jack Johnson, and Diana Krall... or Dave Matthews... etc.)

I'm pretty much deciding on the type of sound I most prefer with this setup... I love the preamp/dac, the speakers, the wires, and the source... now it's time to decide on a great amp that will get me through the next few years.  I liked the Mac sound at Brandon's house but will it be the one for me?  I don't know.... my room sounds much different than his.... The Butler is very good at many things but it's a little too slow for my tastes... The TacT was great but I discounted the modified unit due to cost... but now that I've heard the differences with the preamp, I'm reconsidering... The CIA D200's are intriguing because of the reviews and value proposition.

Other amps I wish I could hear are the AKSA Lifeforce 100, Ava Fetvalve 550, and the McIntosh MC252. 

If anyone else has a great amp they'd like to throw in the mix, let me know.  This meeting is about amps only... (well, other than socializing ;) ) Trying to deal with wires on my new speakers are a big hassle and it's important that they not move.... the source is a done deal and somewhat integrated with the pre... etc...

So, that's the scoop... let me know if you have any suggestions/alternatives/advice... or if I'm going too far trying to organize. ;)

Looking forward to seeing everyone and getting amplified... :)

-Carl

Inscrutable

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2006, 08:23 am »
Looking forward to it Carl.

Carlman

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2006, 03:12 pm »
I am, too, Tim.. can you tell? ;)

It just keeps getting better...

I just found out I'll be getting some Black Sand Power Cables to try... the Violet and the Silver Reference!!  :D  They've gotten a lot of buzz so I'm very interested to hear those...

Also, the doors for the room are definitely in, correct, and scheduled to be installed on Thursday... whew!  I just need to make some panels to go on the backs of the doors for sound proofing...

-C

sheadlee

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2006, 04:33 pm »
Carl,

I can bring my Radio Shack digital sound meter, and several test CD's.

What time do you want us to arrive, Sunday??

Carlman

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2006, 06:43 pm »
Anytime is fine with me... If everyone's OK with afternoon, we could start around 2 and end it with some food on the grill around 6....  How's that sound? 

BTW, I just got back from the insulation place buying OC703. they've gone up on prices.. $1.70/sf for 2" panels.  That's $27 per panel in just fiberglass.  GIK acoustics is looking better and better.... fabric will be $15/ea, then wood framing, corner brackets, etc... $60/each.... for a 2'x4' panel...  Time isn't too bad on these now that I've done a few... I would've just bought the GIK's but 2 will be a custom size, 2' x 9' for the front corners... and then there are 2 for the new doors as well... not sure what size they need to be yet.

-C

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jul 2006, 07:57 pm »
I'm going to try and be there.... pretty sure at this point.... looking forward to it....

Hantra

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2006, 01:48 am »
Sweeeet!  Mind if I bring an Audience PowerChord or two for comparison to that BS one?  I'd love to know what the differences are. . .

Inscrutable

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2006, 11:08 am »
On my recent inexplicable power cord binge, I now have a Black Sand Silver Ref, a W&M Audio Silver Ref (with the Oyaide connectors), and a BMC.  Also picked up a Monster 3500 when PE was closing them out, if no one brings a better conditioner.  None of this stuff is really broken in yet, so if you would want me to bring any of it let me know and I will try to break them in, or bring them over during the week so you can burn them in.