Norh or Outlaw? Michael?

someidiot

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« on: 6 Jun 2003, 12:58 am »
Hi,

I'm in the market for 5 or 7 channels of quality amplification, performing double-duty as HT and dvd-audio/sacd.

The 7-channel Outlaw 7100 caught my eye at US$900. They also have an interesting monoblock for US$300. I haven't managed to find any reviews of these yet, so I have no idea of how capable they are.

However the Norh Le Amp has garnered lots of accolades, and the mkII would presumably uphold that sonic reputation. Thus I have three questions:

1) given the immense power capability of the mkII, what sort of sound-stage would it be likely to exhibit at low listening levels?

2) does anyone have experience with a multi-channel Le Amp rig that they will share, or point me towards a write-up?

3) How about the Outlaw gear mentioned above? Can anyone point to a review, or provide a (reasonably objective  :) ) perspective vis-a-vis Le Amp?

I'll be most grateful for any and all help on this, and perhaps Michael would be good enough to weigh in also ...

Cheers,

- Kris

azryan

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2003, 01:30 am »
Secrets of Home Theater did a review recently of the Outlaw monoblock.

I was good, but not glowing. Certainly nothing praising it as high end.

It's quirky too IMO how it switches to class H at I think 100W. They seemed to just be packing in as much power as they could get into a really thin amp.

It should win on size and heat output I'd guess.

Personally... I own and am very happy with the Outlaw 950 pre/pro, but for the same price the nOrh's design is really far ahead of the Outlaw IMO, and should show up in it's output.

Outlaw's great for price/performance value for mid-fi to just entry level hi-fi, but nOrh seems to have a lot more into hi-fi from their speakers to amps and preamps. etc...

I'm getting the Le Amp 2's for sure. No way I'd get the Outlaw instead.

LightninBoy

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2003, 09:00 am »
I have an Outlaw 950 feeding 5 MB-100s (identical to Le Amp).

I am very satisfied with the Outlaw pre-amp. It is nice unit and a great value.

But I am floored by the MB-100s. Great sound, quiet as a tomb, incredible build tolerances, massive transformer, runs cool, and built like a tank. In terms of value the MB-100/Le Amp monoblocks are simply off the scale.

I have never heard an Outlaw amp. They get good reviews and people are happy with them. But there is no comparison in build quality between my Outlaw 950 and MB-100s. The 950 looks and feels like a budget unit (sounds great though). The MB-100 looks, feels, and sounds like a high-end unit.

After all this, keep in mind that the Le Amp II is a totally different design from the original Le Amp. It looks very promising, but its impossible to draw any conclusions about its sound in comparison to the original.

ABEX

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2003, 03:47 pm »
The Outlaw Mono's are ClassG which are usually found in Sub Amps. I looked into them ,but after reading the Class I moved on.

:wink:

someidiot

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2003, 06:00 pm »
azryan, lightninBoy, abex ...

Thanks much for the feedback folks; that's most helpful. This earlier writeup also helped clarify things for me somewhat "I was at the 'Fest".

One further question: I've been looking at the SV subs, and wondered if LeAmp II would make a better subwoofer amp than what SV provides (they make subs with/without amp).  Has anyone seen the rolloff specs/characteristics of Le Amp II, or is that information not yet available?

Cheers!

ABEX

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2003, 08:31 pm »
I do not think you have to worry about rolloff for a subamp.Where you have to look for that is in the High Frequency range for driving Tweeter's.

It might be good to have ample Power and good Current characteristics in regard to using a sub amp.

ClassG amps as stated before are used alot in subamps to bring down cost.

I would imagine that the LeAmps would make a good Sub amp being that they are said to beable to drive a 2ohm load!

Happy subing! :wink:

azryan

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2003, 03:47 pm »
Sorry abex,

But if an amp is rolled off on the low end (which amps sometimes are) then they won't be flat when used w/ a sub only playing through the range where they're rolling off, and won't have as much power as overall rated.
It's NOT just important for the tweeters.

That'd be somewhat true if you were talking main speakers which usually don't play deep enough to care about a low end roll off in an amp, but 'someidiot' wasn't.
Nice moniker BTW!?!?

And SVS are 4 Ohm drivers so the Le Amps being stable into 2 Ohms is pointless. Sounds like you just want to make as many posts as possible here.

I'm not saying the Le Amp II's are rolled off at all. No idea yet of course...

But personally I'd go w/ a powered SVS since you know it's BASH amp is optimized for the driver.
And measures flat on the output for playing in that range.
And as much power as the Le Amp 2 @ 4 Ohms. (isn't the BASH ~380W into the 4Ohm driver?) Plus very low heat.
Plus the sub amp connections...
Low pass control and variable phase knob which can make a huge diff. in integrating the sub into the mix.
Oh... and subsonic filter to guard against bottoming out.

ABEX

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2003, 03:58 pm »
What is with you
"I want to make as many post as possible!"
BS. I come here so I can have intelligent interchange ,but I find there is none from people like you Bashing me!

What's your problem with me anyways?

Well :finger: you I will go someplace else where I can have intelligent conversations instead of being bashed from self-rightous arrogant Morons like you!

Wish I could be as smart as you are!Maybe someday you'll grow up ,but you and the others win I am out of here and off  the AC BB!

Don't have time to time to read this kind of trash! Very unproductive!

brotherman-5th floor

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2003, 04:45 pm »
Quote from: ABEX

Well :finger: you I will go someplace else where I can have intelligent conversations instead of being bashed from self-rightous arrogant Morons like you!

Why not just leave it at :finger: you and keep posting as you please? Shoot a :finger: for a bash and do your thing. Last I checked no one here represents the rest.

Rocket

hello
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2003, 02:35 am »
hello,

abex you should try not to be so sensitive, i find it hard to be upset looking at a computer monitor  :)

after reading azryan's post i can't read anything into what he posted that should be so offensive to you.  don't worry if you don't have all the knowledge on hifi, neither do i.

there are some ppl who post in this forum who have very high levels of intelligence and knowledge regarding hifi.  this doesn't prevent me from posting, i think that i have assembled a pretty reasonable system making my own decisions.

just my thoughts.

regards

rocket

ABEX

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2003, 04:10 am »
Rocket:
  Do not like rights to be tamperd with in any way. Very touchy about that.

If I remember correctly I was asking MB a question ,but took flak from people I had never addressed about anything.

brotherman-5th floor

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2003, 08:55 pm »
Rocket:

If I remember correctly I was asking MB a question ,but took flak from people I had never addressed about anything.

And you are surprised about that when the site moderator acts like he just hit puberty?

Marbles

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2003, 10:22 pm »
Rocket:

ABEX,
free speech is not gauranteed on this site.  Also while you live in a democracy this site is home to an international community.  Thought I'd just point that out, in fact the owner of the site is Australian.

PS: I didn't see anything wrong with your question and having waited on numerous norh products I can understand your frusteration.

To all, let's just remember the reason's we are here, namely to have fun and share our knowlage and experience about audio and audio related products.

ABEX

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2003, 12:08 am »
There are other things more worthy to be frustrated over other than audi gear. It has been a trying weekend for me let alone dealing with audio.

I did have time to try to look at the HDTV market and what I might want for a small set and got to listen to a few CD's.  

I have everything finished with the exception of trying the nOrh amps to see if they are the right fit for my speakers. Took me a very long time to get them so I am somewhat use to waiting.

Brad

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2003, 01:20 am »
Abex,

If you've got the room, RPTV's seem to be the way to go.
The 57" widescreen I bought for $2400 2 years ago on severe discount is about $1600 now (for the new model)

ABEX

Norh or Outlaw? Michael?
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2003, 01:35 am »
BRAD:
  Thanks ,but I am looking for a smaller screen around 27"-30". I am trying to get stuff that is less obtrusive in my room. I want it to be HDTV also.I like my 3-ways becasue they are slimline also.Wish the rest of my system was like Mini components ,but with good quality.Another thing I like about the LeAmps ,they do not overtake you by size.

There is a new SAMSUNG that goes for $700 at SEARs I looked at today. Wish I could go for an LCD ,but they are to small for what I am looking for and to expensive for what I can afford. Prices will come down someday,but for now I have to go with a Tube.

My room is only 15X20 BTW. I once had a big house where I could fit anything ,but moved to a smaller house.where stuff like Magneplaners are out. I had to sell mine after holding them in  closet for 10yrs. Went with smaller 2-ways then was lucky enough to find small 3ways I liked.27" will not block my picture window and will be small enough to be flanked by my 3-ways.

Thanks again! :wink: