Shunyata Hydra

John Casler

Shunyata Hydra
« on: 5 Jun 2003, 04:58 pm »
A couple weeks ago several of us (Mad Dog, Sa-Dono, Shokunin, etc) got together to listen to the VMPS 626R/FST and the Onix Reference ONE.

I think our listening experience has been pretty well posted relating to the speakers and what we heard, but we also switched out a couple other components in the chain that offered some quite astonishing changes in the sound.

The first significant change was adding in the "Shunyata Hydra"
http://www.powersnakes.com/secthydraelectric/hydram8/hydram8.html

into the mix.

Now in general I really don't subscribe to significant sonic improvement to a system by simply adding a power cord or conditioner, but in this case all four of us noticed the improvent within seconds of repeating the track we were listening to.

The bass of the 626, which we had all been listening to intently since we were interested in seeing the differences in the two speakers, was now "definately" deeper and more full.

The same carried over to the Ref Ones.  Now I must say that in the previous listening of the two we did not notice any deficiency, but this single addition certainly yielded a discernable difference.

The bass was now deeper, more defined, tighter and fuller.   :D

It was not fatter, rubbery, bloated or boomy.

The improvement was so startling that I immediatly contacted Shunyata the following day to see about becoming a dealer.

In order to ascertain if that improvement would also be noticed in "my" system, Shokunin brought his equipment over to my house to try it in my system.

Now in my system, the difference was not quite as dramatic, but it was evident and "measurable".

In the original session, we immediatly added in other components (BottleHead tube pre-amp, Sony SACD player) which also changed the sound.  (actually making the highs rather strident on the 626Rs which must have been the Sony, since in my system when we added the Bottle head the sound did not become strident, but more silky with more inner detail)

When we added the Hydra into my system we could also hear an improved bass and cleaner mids and highs.  The "blackness" between sounds got blacker and depth seemed to get thicker.

The primary cut used was Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Tin Pan Alley" which has all these qualities in the first place.

Shokunin and I both agreed that the difference was less striking than at Mad Dog's place with his system, but it still was present.

In order to "prove" to ourselves that the differences we were hearing (especially in the bass) were real, we pulled out the old Digital SPL Meter and ran some Bass Test tones, with and without the Shunyata.

From 100Hz down to 20Hz the readings were exactly 1db higher with the Shunyata in the system.  While that doesn't sound like much, it is distinguishable and it is caused by the Power Conditioning that the Shunyata does.

I would guess the difference at Mad Dog's was easily 2-3db.

We also surmised that the difference between the two diferences (does that make sense) was that the power in my building is better and cleaner to start with, thus the improvement was slightly less.

In any event, if you have an urge to extract the absolute maximum your system can deliver, I think this is an area, that could provide a large step.

Mad Dog was so impressed, that he said he "thought" he was done upgrading for a while and silently "cursed"  :evil: Shokunin for causing him "knowledge" of this improvement. :mrgreen:

While the exact Hydra Model that we used has been discontinued, Shunyata has introduced an "improved" AND "less expensive" Hydra Model 8 which replaces it.

To say I was impressed is an understatement.  To hear that much difference with out changing the "major" components is remarkable.  

In visiting the website, you see that they are well regarded by the "Audiophilia" and several prestigious manufacturers use their "power snake" power cords as standard equipment.

It was very interesting :)

Horsehead

Shunyata Hydra
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2003, 08:26 pm »
Hi John,

Great info...thanks.  Just wondering if you have ever used any PS Audio Regenerators such as the P300 or P600?  Also, what about the Audio Magic Stealth power conditioner?  Didn't Brian use one of these at CES and absolutely love it?  Just wondering if you had the opportunity to compare any of these to the Hydra. Did you become a Shunyata dealer?

TheeeChosenOne

Shunyata Hydra
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2003, 08:48 pm »
Power cords do seem to work.

A pair of VH Audio power cords brought the bass down in my speakers as well.

The amp is also slightly warmer to the touch after the new cords.

This isn't an imagined difference, but real and discernable.  No doubt about it.  PC's have made a larger difference than IC or speaker cables in my system by a significant margin!

John Casler

Shunyata Hydra
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2003, 11:59 pm »
Quote from: Horsehead
Hi John,

Great info...thanks.  Just wondering if you have ever used any PS Audio Regenerators such as the P300 or P600?  Also, what about the Audio Magic Stealth power conditioner?  Didn't Brian use one of these at CES and absolutely love it?  Just wondering if you had the opportunity to compare any of these to the Hydra. Did you become a Shunyata dealer?

Hey Horsehead (funny I feel like I'm insulting you), :?

No I haven't made the comparison, nor heard Brian's prefernce if any.

But I do know that this one offers an interesting improvment.

And yes I am now a dealer.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Shunyata Hydra
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2003, 12:12 am »
Um, so what's the price range on these things?

theborg

Shunyata Hydra
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2003, 12:22 am »
Since John sells this product, this thread qualifies as a commercial posting.

John Casler

Shunyata Hydra
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2003, 12:37 am »
Quote from: theborg
Since John sells this product, this thread qualifies as a commercial posting.

Does that mean we move to another forum, or PM, or cease and desist :?:

theborg

Shunyata Hydra
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2003, 12:44 am »
Sorry for not being clearer :oops: I already moved it to Market Square. We don't want to stop anyone talking about anything audio, far from it! But we have the Market Square for commercial postings.

Thanks, and please carry on :)

John Casler

Shunyata Hydra
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2003, 12:50 am »
Thanks,

Didn't want to break any rules :nono:

John Casler

Shunyata Hydra
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2003, 12:54 am »
I am cutting and pasting the infor here:

Hydra and Guardian series Power Distribution

Guardian 4 HT    $395  New Product!
•   Four outlet Hubbel center
•   High-current 20 amp service
•   6500 amps surge protection per mode
•   Shunyata designed passive filter
•   Gold plated Diamondback power cord
•   Solid steel chassis with surge status LED

Guardian 8 HT   $895  (Available June)
•   8 outlet dual Quad outlet center
•   High-current and digital sections separated
•   6500 amps surge protection per mode
•   Shunyata designed passive filter
•   IEC jack for custom power cord
•   Carling electromagnetic breaker
•   Gold and silver plated DiamondBack power cord
•   Solid Steel chassis with surge status LED

Hydra- 8   $1995   (Available May-June)
Product Of The Year Award HiFi+
•   8 Hubbel grade outlets
•   Separate high current and digital sections
•   Star-grounded
•   Shunyata designed passive filter network
•   Shunyata’s patented FeSi 1000 passive compounds
•   Carling Electro-magnetic switch
•   Massive 60,000 amp surge protection
•   Elegant machined aluminum chassis with brushed, etched aluminum face.

Of course all AudioCircle members get big discounts that I can only disclose in private e-mail