when are the Dodd battery preamps landing????

S Clark

Re: when are the Dodd battery preamps landing????
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2006, 04:09 am »
Bad news for those waiting for the Dodd preamps.  I heard that experimenting with the darker wood and the engraving process may hold things up another week or so.  Oh well, I guess it is to be expected on the first run of a new product. 

Marbles

« Reply #21 on: 26 Aug 2006, 12:11 am »
I heard that experimenting with the darker wood...may hold things up another week or so.

That's a bunch of crap....the time for this kind of experimenting should have been done a long long time ago.

It's a shame that Gary has had such a hard time getting these to market.  As a friend of mine mentioned to me, Gary lost a lot of "momemtum" with the delays, and at least one sale.

I hope it's not too much longer, and I hope for Gary's sake the buzz when these do come out overcomes the negative delivery perceptions.... 

Best of luck with these Gary.

Curly, how are these coming? 

Just sign me:

"Anxious in Indiana"

or you can sign me "Disgusted with the endless delays"

Marbles

« Reply #22 on: 26 Aug 2006, 12:39 am »
Curly, this is what you said on July 2, 2006

All,

I am getting closer to getting the pre-amp sets completed.  The pieces are small, and it would seem that this would be the easy stage.    I have had to create jigs to provide repeatable processes for all of the pieces involved.  There are many steps to getting them ready for finishing. Any imperfections in the wood will show without a high degree of care at this stage.

I am also working on the balanaced power supply and power amplifier sets, along with other projects from other firms.  I hope to have them ready for finish by this weekend, if everything goes well.  If so it should not ne more than another week until they are returned to me.

It's been nearly two months and we are getting word that it will be longer..what is going on?

Do you have ANY update?
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2006, 12:57 am by Marbles »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #23 on: 26 Aug 2006, 02:21 am »
No disrespect to Gary Dodd, but you're paying for a lot of dealer mark-up in this preamp, Marbles - when there are other options out there to avoid it.

Why not look at Welborne Labs Ultrapathbp tube/battery linestage?...for hundreds less and with the pedigree, remarkable transformer technology and skills of Jack Elliano (http://www.electra-print.com/) behind it.

Unfortunately, it looks to now only be available in kit form, not assembled  :(

http://www.welbornelabs.com/ultra.htm

JoshK

« Reply #24 on: 26 Aug 2006, 02:26 am »
kit isn't a problem for Rob, as he's got me to build it.  :D

Marbles

« Reply #25 on: 26 Aug 2006, 02:37 am »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the suggestions and Josh, that is a very kind offer.

I'm sure once I get the Dodd pre all the birthing pains will disapear.

In two weeks it will be 10 months since I have ordered and paid for it...I'm sure it won't be more than another month or two before I get mine.

tvad4

« Reply #26 on: 26 Aug 2006, 02:39 am »
All you Dodd preamp buyers have extraordinary patience.

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #27 on: 26 Aug 2006, 03:34 am »
All you Dodd preamp buyers have extraordinary patience.
[/ quote]
You are so right! Dodd customers do have an extraordinary amount of patience. My patience ran out months ago on this particular project! :x At the very begining I had so many problems with getting chassis that would all fit together correctly. That company has been doing my work forever, and they just couldn't seem to get it right. I got samples 4 times before I accepted it. This is the simplest project I have done in a long time, and I just can't seem to get it to come together. This one has been devistating to DODD AUDIO and it is going to take me some time to recover from it. It has also hurt the DODD nameand reputation, however I stand behind everything I have always said and I WILL deliver these preamps. Mike at Curly Woods just bit off more than he could handle, especially with a full time job on top of Curly Woods. It just plain took way too long to get just this part of the process done, and it still isn't finished! He didn't actually finish his full part of the project because of time. He was supposed to supply the finisher (Pete) with the wood pieces fully sanded and ready to finish.There are 190 pieces all together. He gave the wood to the finisher unsanded. Pete hired a guy to help him with the sanding process ( which he wasn't supposed to do). That quickly logged 90+ hours  @ $45 hr, which I was not expecting. I have since then met Pete and have been to see him several times. Last Saturday I was over there and he had all of his tables covered with all of the dark woods. Come to find out that the dark woods are oily so they have to be sealed with an epoxy for this purpose. Thats a stage of work that I didn't know about. So far with the sanding and the epoxy finish this has extended the original time by 3 weeks. Pete called me wednesday and said that he had all of the dark wood sanded and ready for the first coat of laquer, but that he needed a sample from Bill, the laser engraver fellow. He need to know since he had never had to do this before if that laser was going to react to the epoxy. He said it could burn ,melt or bubble it up and he didn't want to laquer it all just to have it destroyed because of this unknown. He prepaired a sample to take to the engraver and when he got there he found out that Bill was in China untill the 3rd of Sept. Niether of us knew about this! More frustration now!! Can't do any thing until the 3rd! Mean while he is working on the finish process on the remotes. The remotes that i found out only 2 weeks ago that Mike did not find anyone to build them. I did all of them this past week and will be delivering them tomorrow to Pete. There is no way any of you can be nearly as fedup, confused and just plain pissed off! Any way to finish, when we get the sample from Bill, and hopefully all is ok, ( both Pete and I are pretty confident it will be fine) then Pete can spray the first coat of laquer. It isn't really laquer, it is the newest and best finish available at this time. Well it takes 3 days to fully cure then the first coat is sanded to 600 grit and then it is sprayed with the second and last coat. This takes another 3 days to cure and it is sanded out to 12-1500 grit, and finally it is hand polished to a glass like finish. I have seen his work and it is Beeeeaaaauuuutiful!!! At this point Pete is finished with his part and he passes it along to Bill, whom I have been told he is ready to go, programs ready to run product. I would expect a week from him. So that  is what is happening. I am very sorry that such a simple product has pretty much ruined anything that Dodd stands for and recovering from it will be a long process. I do know that it's like I have always said and practiced, until this project. If you want it done right do it yourself.. Next run I will be able to start shipping inside of 60 days, now that all of the problems have been ironed out, and I will be doing the wood myself from now on, until I connect with China or Columbia to do my chassis for me. As I always have said I really appreciate your patience, without you guys i would be nothing. I WILL DELIVER!! I always do :) I don't think I will be able to ship now until the 3rd week of Sept.. I was originally expecting to ship at the end of this month.
Gary

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #28 on: 26 Aug 2006, 05:09 am »
No disrespect to Gary Dodd, but you're paying for a lot of dealer mark-up in this preamp

What dealer mark-up? He's getting it from Gary direct.

Why not look at Welborne Labs Ultrapathbp tube/battery linestage?...for hundreds less and with the pedigree...

No disrespect to Welborne Labs, but it is not in the same league as this pre-amp. Gary's pre-amp is a strong contender for the best pre-amp ever made with cost no object. It really is that good.

S Clark

« Reply #29 on: 26 Aug 2006, 05:27 am »
Gary,
Delivery delays can irritate, but quality is what consumers measure by in the long run.  If it takes longer to get it right, then it just takes longer. I suspect that your reputation as an innovator of audio electronics in not in danger due to finishing delays.
Everybody take a deep breath.  They'll arrive finally and I suspect all will be more than pleased with the final product.  I know I will (but then I've heard it with my system in my room).

Scott

prokennex

« Reply #30 on: 26 Aug 2006, 02:19 pm »
Even though this has been a long wait, I think your patience will be rewarded. As you probably already read this new battery pre out performs the previous reference. What I don't think most people realize is the good cost value of this pre. Gary has also taken a hit and please correct me if I'm wrong Gary, from the increase in copper prices several months ago.

Ray

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #31 on: 26 Aug 2006, 02:27 pm »
Hard to feel sorry for a vendor that took money up front for orders and in some cases hasn't delivered that product in over 10 months.

I feel sorry for the people waiting!

Regardless of the quality of the final product, the lack of consistent communication and constantly missing promised delivery dates is not a way to run a successful business.

George

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 26 Aug 2006, 03:08 pm »
Fellows, I have been in this business since 95. Sometimes things happen that are beyond your control. I know how it feels. I have had I nine different custom woofers and one planar magnetic tweeter custom built to my specifications within the last year. Sometimes it goes well and my parameters are nailed easily and immediately. Sometimes it can take a while, especially when I make them tool up to do things that they have never done before or have to order a verity of raw materials that they have never had. Then they have to wait for the raw materials to arrive before they can make a first implementation that still misses the mark....

I have known Gary since about late 98 or 99 (several years). He is one of the most honest guys I have ever met in this industry. I have no doubt that all will be delivered as soon as possible. I know there have been delays. I have seen Gary's frustration with the delays all year. They are unfortunate. But I don't see these problems as being on going.

Right now the delay has been the finishing of the wood. But I think it will be well worth it. The high gloss lacquer type finish on all the exotic wood is going to make these things a show piece. It's going the extra mile to be better, to not just sound great, but look great too.

While an oil rubbed Bloodwood looks pretty good. A heavy mirror like clear coat will be incredible and go well with the chrome top plates.

Mine will be a Quilted Maple. I picked out the wood at Curliwoods myself. That heavy clear coat on it will look killer.

I have waited longer than anyone. I was one of the first if not thee first to order one after hearing the prototype. I think I may have been the first to hear the prototype, and I have had it at my house since the end of last year. It sounds incredible and the production units are even better.

I can wait three or four more weeks if I have too. No worries. It will be worth it.

And if you ask me, he's selling them way below market value. These could easily bring a lot more. These pre-amps represent the highest level of performance, beauty, and value. It's a no brainer, must have.

JDUBS

« Reply #33 on: 26 Aug 2006, 03:46 pm »
No disrespect to Welborne Labs, but it is not in the same league as this pre-amp. Gary's pre-amp is a strong contender for the best pre-amp ever made with cost no object. It really is that good.

It sounds like a comparison was done.  Can you point me to it (if it was posted)?

Thanks
Jim

Gooch

« Reply #34 on: 26 Aug 2006, 04:43 pm »

[/quote]

Well first the best pre ever would have Balance inputs and outputs as well as single end. Or maybe you mean it’s the best single end pre ever. Also lets be real here this isn't some new tube circuit that know one has ever done before all tube circuits come from the 30's,40, and 50's know matter who’s name is on it we just have better made parts now a day's. And if cost was no object then post a picture with the top open I want to see all the Caddock and Vishay $6.00 resistors and the finest Capacitors ever made for audio. All the pre’s come with matched Amperex White Label 6922’s right?
You know a lot of this could have been solved by not offering so different options on face plates just having three of four probably would have been fine. Also sound like there where too many hand in the pot and some fell short of what they committed too or didn’t realize what they were getting to. Also if cost was no object China wouldn’t be involved.
Look I and not attacking Gary I know what is to wait no one of his products over 6 months for an amp. I think it’s just a shame the you shell out 3K for something and wait this long and the only thing you ever is every three weeks or more I feel your pain.

Dave

texasphile

« Reply #35 on: 26 Aug 2006, 05:09 pm »
Gary might be the person to better to respond to this, but if I remember correctly, the first run of Gary's new preamp is made in USA, not China.

Chris

JoshK

« Reply #36 on: 26 Aug 2006, 05:17 pm »
Gooch,

IIRC, the thing that sets Gary's desing apart from the standard issue grounded cathode amp is that he set his own operating points (his B+ is far from typical of a 6922), not the operating points referenced in the tube data sheets.  This requires doing a bit more engineering and measurements.  Its not rocket science but its the standard circuit every other guy uses either.  Roger M also does this in his 45 amps. 

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 26 Aug 2006, 05:27 pm »
Well first the best pre ever would have Balance inputs and outputs as well as single end.

I have found that if you have no noise in the system and you are using high quality RCA's then there is little to zero gain from running balanced outputs.

Also lets be real here this isn't some new tube circuit that know one has ever done before all tube circuits come from the 30's,40, and 50's know matter who’s name is on it...

I am pretty certain that this circuit typology has never been used. Gary did not copy some old design.

All the pre’s come with matched Amperex White Label 6922’s right?

I am not sure, but I think they are going to come with matched 7308's.

then post a picture with the top open I want to see all the Caddock and Vishay $6.00 resistors and the finest Capacitors ever made for audio.

Gary is using a new type of resistor, possibly better than either of those. I know that switching to it made a very large improvement over what he was using before.

It does use the very best caps ever made for Audio. It uses Sonicap Platinum's. They are coupled with a standard Sonicap in the output coupling position and they are the only caps in the signal path.

You know a lot of this could have been solved by not offering so different options on face plates just having three of four probably would have been fine.

That would make no difference at all.

[Also sound like there where too many hand in the pot and some fell short of what they committed too or didn’t realize what they were getting to.

Venders used for providing parts or services (wood work) do not have their hands in the pot.

Also if cost was no object China wouldn’t be involved.

It is not. Everything about these pre-amps are all made in the USA. There are future plans that may involve getting the chassis and wood work made in Colombia (Mark Schifter's new factory).

Gooch

« Reply #38 on: 26 Aug 2006, 06:07 pm »
I don't see why someone here couldn't make the chassis instead of outsource them that was the point I was trying.
I know you guy's their in Texas love Sonicaps but I have tried them and don't feel the same way you do about  them.I upgreaded to them in a pair of P3's andit was jaw meet floor. They might voice well with your new drivers which is fine. We experimented with different caps this summer and felt that the Mundorf silver & oil were the best sounding over all.
Also if there is a new super secret resistor out there please tell us what it is I am sure the diy community would love to try them. :D

Regards,
Dave

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #39 on: 26 Aug 2006, 06:25 pm »

Well first the best pre ever would have Balance inputs and outputs as well as single end. Or maybe you mean it’s the best single end pre ever.
Dave

Since a properly implemented balanced preamp would have to have double the devices (one set for each leg) in the signal path, I have never bought the idea.

In my mind the *only* advantage of balanced is potential removal of hum or buzz from the signal. If this is not a problem, as it never has been for me, why send your signal through double the number of devices???

Makes no sense that I can see.