I can't get enough volume with my Modwright/D-200 combo

pugs

I received my D200's a couple of days ago and just had a chance to crank them up.  One problem, they don't get very loud.  I have my Modwright SWL 9.0SE at full blast and I am only getting a max of 90 SPL's according to my Radio Shack meter.  I am playing Dave Mathews which is a pretty good recording.  Speakers are Salk HT3.  Source is Vinnie modded SB3 with new analog mods.  Volume adjust and preamp volume control on the Slim Server are off.  Do I need the higher gain D-200's or is something not right?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: I can't get enough volume with my Modwright/D-200 combo
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2006, 06:52 pm »
Something isn't right...

I have the same speakers and amp and I have absolutely no problem with getting it very, very loud (peaks over 100db measured at the listening position - no I don't listen at that volume, just was trying to see how loud things could go).  The TacT 2.2x preamp/dac I use doesn't add any gain, where the Modwright does.  The only difference is that my D-200's are balanced where as yours are single ended.

Which DMB disc are you playing?

George

pugs

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2006, 07:02 pm »
Something isn't right...

I have the same speakers and amp and I have absolutely no problem with getting it very, very loud (peaks over 100db measured at the listening position - no I don't listen at that volume, just was trying to see how loud things could go).  The TacT 2.2x preamp/dac I use doesn't add any gain, where the Modwright does.  The only difference is that my D-200's are balanced where as yours are single ended.

Which DMB disc are you playing?

George

I'm playing Under the Table and Dreaming.  I don't like listening to levels much over 90db, but sometimes I need to crank it louder when I'm doing things around the house.  to clarify, I measured from my normal listening position which is about 10' away from the speakers.

pugs

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2006, 07:10 pm »
I received my D200's a couple of days ago and just had a chance to crank them up.  One problem, they don't get very loud.  I have my Modwright SWL 9.0SE at full blast and I am only getting a max of 90 SPL's according to my Radio Shack meter.  I am playing Dave Mathews which is a pretty good recording.  Speakers are Salk HT3.  Source is Vinnie modded SB3 with new analog mods.  Volume adjust and preamp volume control on the Slim Server are off.  Do I need the higher gain D-200's or is something not right?

I ran this combo, and my SWL9.0SE had custom reduced gain to about 15db, which yours presumably does not have, and I had no problem cranking to 100+db with the SWL9.0SE volume control at 2:00 on the dial (26db D200).

It seems to me something is wrong. Perhaps you might try another source to rule out that variable. Also, try different inputs on the SWL9.0SE to rule out the inputs you are presently using.

Also, check that the SWL9.0SE tubes are securely installed.

Thanks.  It will be a few days before I can try all of that.

pugs

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2006, 07:29 pm »
The D200's run a lot hotter than I thought they would if that means anything.  I can touch the back, but they are pretty hot - a lot hotter than the Odyssey Mono Extremes.

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2006, 07:48 pm »
Doesn't the Vinnie Modded SP3 only output 1V?  If that is the case, than that is most likely the culprit.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2006, 08:10 pm »
The D200's run a lot hotter than I thought they would if that means anything.  I can touch the back, but they are pretty hot - a lot hotter than the Odyssey Mono Extremes.

Mine did not get hot like you are describing.

Something really doesn't sound right.

George

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2006, 08:48 pm »

There is definitely a problem somewhere...if you give us a call monday, we can help you trouble-shoot it.

-Dusty-

pugs

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2006, 06:18 pm »
Doesn't the Vinnie Modded SP3 only output 1V?  If that is the case, than that is most likely the culprit.

I have the new analog mods which preserves the original output voltage.

mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2006, 07:00 pm »
Pugs,
For what its worth, I just pulled out my RatShack meter.

Using the CD with the lowest recording level I can think of (Fagan's "Kamakiriad"),
a Rotel 971 CDP (I'm guessing a standard 2V output), a no-gain Superphon Revelation III preamp, CI D-200s (26db) with VSR VR4JRs (89 db sensitivity per mfg), I can get to 90-92 db at full volume (c weighting, slow response, at listening position 9' from spkrs). I don't need it any louder than that.

Using my daughters new Red Hot Chili Peppers "Stadium Arcadium" which seems to be recorded louder than anything in my collection, 90 db comes at volume setting of "15 clicks" out of a total of 23, so this disc will go much louder.

Something does seem fishy with your set-up. Please keep us informed.

Good luck!