Why I love my Ortofon X5-MC

TheChairGuy

Re: Why I love my Ortofon X5-MC
« Reply #20 on: 9 Nov 2006, 09:15 pm »
The weight matters, but little doubt any arm can handle the small extra weight (so long as counterweight is large enough).  The benefits of enhanced tracking and resonance in the cartridge body (at interface at headshell joint) are probably worthwhile.

If you attach the Longhorn with something goopy (not glue or solder) first, you'll know without ruining anything permanently. Goopy as in Blu-Tak, Plast-i-Clay, clay caulk, etc.  Just something sticky will help adhere the horn and damp your cartridge body.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2006, 12:01 am »

Psychicanimal

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:50 pm »
Here we go again!

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/616261.html

The cantilever/stylus assembly weight is tha intentional problem... :nono:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2007, 08:34 pm »
Yeah, it could be the problem.  It really is a nice cartridge...tho at current $325 list there are a few hi-output Grado's, Benz's, Denon's (especially at $130 and $170 for their offerings) and Sumiko's that might make that 'value' tag wilt a bit.

The equivalent stylus tip mass of 0.75 mg is hideous...perhaps it was intentional.  $20 Audio Technica cartridges probably have less mass  :evil:

But, for the $100+ you paid for it on special, you done did well.  And, I'm not too unhappy having paid $200.00 for it...but I reach for my Longhorn Grado Green (with Plast-i-Lator) more often to play vinyl.

Ii know, I know...gotta' try that moca wood soon  :?

Psychicanimal

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2007, 10:49 pm »
I know, I know...gotta' try that moca wood soon  :?

The guy in Belgium sent me pictures of the cartridge bodies he made.  Unfortunately, he wrote me he busted a wire in his Denon 103 wile doing the surgery and will have to buy a new one.  The cartridge bodies came out really good.  :thumb:

The pictures reveal the Moca heartwood in all its beauty: reddish brown with big, open pores throughout its grain structure.  I guess that's a reason why its non-resonant.

Hey, send a couple pieces to professor Van Alstine, will you?

Psychicanimal

« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2007, 06:25 pm »
I have kept silent about reporting mistracking by my own X-5 for two reasons:

1) I do not recall hearing any.
2) It's been more than four years since I last had it in my system.

My X-5 replaced a Grado Prestige Blue I bought to get back into vinyl and it successfully played any record, as far as I could recall.  You name it--heavy metal, salsa, new wave, classical, techno--everything sounded right.  Yesterday I received the Audio Technica AT25 cartridge and finally decided to stow away the Sony WEGA, the DVD player and the modded belt drive transport & DAC.  By ten PM the vinyl rig was up and running for the first time since I moved back to the Caribbean.  Following TCG's 1 KOhm loading value suggestion I set up the X-5 and after a few hours it was absolutely beautiful.  I played vocals, reggae and other assorted music.  Then it was time to play a 45RPM German techno dance single.  Results? 

NO MISTRACKING WHATSOEVER.

My instruction manual states the X-1 and X-3 have effective stylus mass of 0.75 g while the X-5 of 0.40 g.  Seems my cartridge was from an older lot Juki got a hold of, when Ortofon had not degraded the X-5's original performance.  Once I play enough albums and totally dialed in speakers and other things I plan to play the Shure Era V test record and plot my X-5's trackability.

You guys know I'm NOT a moving coil groupie.  This particular cartridge is truly something and, in my book, one of the top dollar per dollar performers ever.  Guess Ortofon discovered that and took appropriate 'remedial' measures... :icon_twisted:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2007, 12:03 am »
You done did good. Me - I was snookered a bit :(

While investigating my first MC purchase, and finally settling on the X5-MC....I read the Needle Doctor's site for more information on it.   There, they had old literature of the X5-MC with a specification of .40g effective tip mass...
http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-X5-MC-High-Output-Moving-Coil-Cartridge?sc=2&category=378

I figured, Gyger stylus, 0.40g tip mass, high output moving coil...then I found it online for $199 delivered.  I thought, how could I go wrong  aa

Well, when I got it I saw that my brand spankin' new example has a 0.75 g tip mass...a PIG, basically :icon_lol:  Tho the cartridge is the clearest sounding cartridge I have ever heard for anywhere near the money (on that basis, folks would probably guess it costs $$thousands), but it tracks so-so and it is so lightweight sounding that I only can listen to it at low volumes, late at night (when folks are sleeping) and only with light classical, EZ listening or light jazz.  If it gets loud, or the passages difficult it exposes it's complete lack of bottom end grunt, weak dynamics and mistracking issues.

Even with that, it has it virtues - it actually makes my digital sound muddy and unclear in comparison....something no other cartridge I have has done and the imaging is astounding  :o

It is a worthy candidate for a re-tip one day, perhaps  :)

PA, you done did right loading it at 1K...that's about where all the 2mv high output cartridges should be.....only Benz properly recommends it at that level (the rest, I assume, are trying to sell as many as they can to MM phonostage owners without proper regard to good fidelity with rising treble issues)

Psychicanimal

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jun 2007, 05:36 pm »
Well, after receiving my NOS Recod Interface Clamp a few weeks ago things improved tremendously--a component upgrade it has been.  This and using the Canrong digital scale have enabled me to really dial in my cartridges regarding VTA and VTF.  The X-5 turns out to track best @  2.18 g and VTA is sensitive to w/in 1/10 of a millimeter ( the Technics 1200's on-the-fly VTA is super hady  ).  At any rate, I am amazed at the clarity and details and tracking this cartridge delivers (mine is the original, 0.40 g effective stylus tip mass).  I've always stood by my impression of the X-5, but this is really something:

This guy is selling his X-5 (0.40 g version)  in Audiogon because he bought a $4700 Benz Micro LP cartridge!!!

Please note the HRS record clamp employed in the rig...

The original X-5 is a killer cartridge.  Period.