Ultraviolet

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Ultraviolet
« on: 28 Jun 2006, 06:16 am »
Well, this proves it once again- dress Milla in skin tight spandex and put an automatic weapon in her hands and I'm a happy camper! :lol:  The effects occasionally go awry, and the plot is perfunctory at best, but I have to say I liked it pretty well.  Mind you, this is a "review proof" movie.  If you liked the RE films you'll probably like this one, too.  If not you may as well not bother. :)

Folsom

Re: Ultraviolet
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2006, 07:47 am »
Resident Evil films I enjoyed for the most part.

The previews for this movie looked..... Cheesy at best. The sets, the coloring, the perfect look of everything, looked awful. I was disappointed with the overall look, it really bothers me. I doubt I will see this movie. I also am not into glorifying warriors, especially women, just to please some Sci-Fi geeks. If a good movie calls for it sure, like the Underworlds are not bad, but this just looks terrible. 

I am more interested in Cars.

drcruz

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2006, 10:17 pm »
I saw the movie, I didn't like it. I didn't get it either. Milla was HOT though.  :wink:

Bad effects usually don't bother, but the story was horrible.

**SPOILERS**

Where the Vampire types really Vampires? No blood sucking, moving around in daylight.

Also, If the Clone Kid was a Vampire type (they usually kick butt), why did he need Milla's tear drop (DNA?) to heal?

I didn't get it. :confused:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2006, 11:36 pm »
Yeah, it definately had some problems.  The "plot" was nonexistant, mostly just an excuse for the action.  While the FX were uneven, I sorta liked the visual style to some degree, although it was a bit jumbled.  Mostly I thought the world the film created was interesting and a bit different than anything I've seen in a movie before.

Primarily it was an excuse to get Milla into spandex and put a gun in her hand. :lol:  And to a degree that will always be enough for me. 8)

I wouldn't really recommend the film to anyone except the hardcore Sci-Fi and Milla J. fan.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2006, 02:46 am »
Rob did you like Bloodrayne?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2006, 02:50 am »
You know, I bought the DVD but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. :oops:  I just moved in to my present house about two months ago, just set the TV up a few weeks ago.  I have a PJ on the way- once it's set up it'll be time to catch up on my movies again. 8)

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2006, 03:22 am »
Rob did you like Bloodrayne?

Well I know he's quite find of Kristanna, so I'm not going to be surprised if he likes it.

As far as Ultraviolet goes, the Unrated DVD is WAAAAAAY different than the theatrical release. Not sure yet what I think of the unrated cut.

I was a bit disappointed with Ultraviolet as Wimmer's follow up to Equilibrium. Equilibrium was great, and Ultraviolet was only occasionally good.

gitarretyp

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2006, 04:11 am »

As far as Ultraviolet goes, the Unrated DVD is WAAAAAAY different than the theatrical release. Not sure yet what I think of the unrated cut.

I was a bit disappointed with Ultraviolet as Wimmer's follow up to Equilibrium. Equilibrium was great, and Ultraviolet was only occasionally good.

I too was very disappointed with ultraviolet as i thought equilibrium was a well made film. I may have to check-out the unrated cut, but i can't imagine it could improve ultraviolet enough to be watchable again (even the sound was bad in the theatrical release).

gitarretyp

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2006, 04:23 am »
Since you mentioned this being way better, i did a bit of looking around on the web. Based on a substantially large number of concurring rumors, the original cut of the movie was ~2 hours (88 minute theatrical and 94 minute extended dvd), had a different score and sound effects, and considerably more violence. If this is true (and i'm given to believe it is based on the quality of equilibrium), it explains a lot of the problems i saw with the film.

bubba966

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2006, 04:36 am »
I never said the unrated cut was way better, I said it's way different.

I don't know what to think of the unrated cut yet...

gitarretyp

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2006, 04:44 am »
Oops :oops:...I'm still curious enough to see it, though.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2006, 04:24 am »
Sorry but... even buying Bloodrayne means I no longer can take any serious consideration as to what you say about movie, ever.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2006, 06:54 am »
Sorry but... even buying Bloodrayne means I no longer can take any serious consideration as to what you say about movie, ever.

Why did you ever listen to me to start with? :lol:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jul 2006, 08:09 am »
I rented this movie and was going to watch it tonight,but after reading the thread  I decided to watch "America Has Talent" with my wife instead.  Now that show/episode was bad, guess I should've watched the movie just to get it out of the house.

I thought the movie wouldn't be that good but I rented it mostly because I thought it might look good and have nice sound.

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 2006, 02:48 pm »
BLOODRAYNE ruled!

for about ... 45 seconds in the middle of the movie somewhere.

lol hawt!  Good enough reason to buy that movie.

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2006, 08:30 pm »
I know what few seconds you refer too... Worth money? No. It is the only part of the movie with any value. That is plain sad.... I am someone who considers most of those scenes to be cheesy or thrown in, so they look awful, and there for usually do not care for... If they are put in well, and fit, then I am cool with it. A hot babe is not enough for me to buy a movie or even go google over. Girls cover the planet, not just the screen. Fake sex scenes usually suck etc.... Yeah anyhow you get the point, the only good part of the whole movie was a lame sex scene. You know what you get out of that scene? A boob.

mjosef

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2006, 11:08 pm »
I saw UV over the weekend, it had a good premise, but the execution was kinda spotty. Way too much emphasis on the special effects at the expense of the storyline. Its plausible that in the distant future we humans will be genetically enhanced, in fact to some extent we already are.
Overall, it was a good enough action flick to see once, wouldn't care to buy it though.
Now I await the release of V for vendetta(?).

launche

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2006, 11:16 pm »
Finally watched the movie on Saturday with my family, who were almost disgusted with the movie's lack of substance and thin plot line.  All and all it's one I could have waited to see on cable a few months done the road.  I don't now why Milla keeps doing these movies, they just keep getting worse and worse.  She should have stopped after the Fifth Element.  Thus I will never pay to see another movie she's in again, same ol' story, same bad movie.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 2006, 06:01 am »
Finally watched the movie on Saturday with my family, who were almost disgusted with the movie's lack of substance and thin plot line.  All and all it's one I could have waited to see on cable a few months done the road.  I don't now why Milla keeps doing these movies, they just keep getting worse and worse.  She should have stopped after the Fifth Element.  Thus I will never pay to see another movie she's in again, same ol' story, same bad movie.

It's easy to see why she does em- guys like me keep buying them!  I loved the RE films, they're among my very favorites.  I'd say she knows her "core" audience and plays to them.  Besides, she does other things, from quirky westerns like The Claim to romantic comedies.  It just so happens she sells more tickets to guys that like to watch her kick ass. :inlove: :whip: :guns: :inlove:

launche

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2006, 03:44 am »
How many of you can there be out there  :)

Well I guess I can understand your point of view.  I found my way to see most Jennifer Lopez movies somehow. While playing basketball this weekend a friend asked me if it was worth it to go see "The BreakUp" to see Anniston's tush and I kindly said no. While I can appreciate Anniston as a whole her tush just does not do it for me (nor does Milla's btw) now Lopez...I may consider camping out like a Star Wars fan to see her tush fully exposed. Even though it's nothing I haven't seen before, but when has a man turned down a chance to see a beautiful woman half naked.

The crazy way a man's mind work...so complex and so simple
depending on which head is getting the most bloodflow  :green:

So I assume you own Aeon Flux too?  I enjoyed that one more and that's not saying much but it was an upgrade all the way around.