Looks like Response Audio will have to close for a while

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
 Mother nature is taking a toll on us up here in the North East. Just today, the roads around my store turned into raging rivers. I thought I was safe but as I walk into the store late this evening to check on things, I find stuff floating in the basement. I was not too concerned as I am quite a bit higher than the creeks and rivers that run by but now the water is coming up from beneath the foundation and rising steadily. I am told that if it gets any higher that I will loose my electric service.

With no end in sight, it appears I will have to close for a few days till things calm down. Between trying to find a way to pump out water from my store as well as my home, I am going to be busy.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Looks like Response Audio will have to close for a while
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2006, 02:53 am »
Been a lot of rain lately....here and up by you Bill. In fact, looks like another day's worth tomorrow... :icon_twisted:
Good luck...hope its not too bad.
Chris

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2006, 03:16 am »
Be safe Bill and hopefully the damage will not be too bad.

We are also getting pounded by the rain up in Mass. (that still sounds weird...) and there is flodding as well.

I read in the paper the other day that it has rained 23" in May/June.  This is the highest total in the last 130+ years!!

George

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2006, 03:28 am »
I'm sorry to hear that, Bill, but at least you and the family are safe.  Business is business, but family is everything.

-Jim

PS – Just to provide a bit of contrast, it's so dry down here that I can't run my mower over my yard without crushing the dry, brittle grass beneath.  We’ve had no rain of consequence in weeks, and my front yard has brown vertical and horizontal tracks where my mower’s been.

earlmarc

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2006, 03:40 am »
Sorry, the weather has got you down, Bill.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2006, 03:57 am »
i'll store a pair of usher 20 Be's or even 10 Be's for you.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2006, 04:05 am »
i'll store a pair of usher 20 Be's or even 10 Be's for you.

Sorry, all I have is Usher D2's and you would have to come pick them up as their boxes and packaging material is floating around downstairs.

Business is business, but family is everything.

That's right, as I watch families only 50 feet behind my store leaving their homes in row boats, I guess I have a lot to be thankful of.

My wife is a nurse in a nursing home and she was just called into work as they are evacuating several nursing homes in the area and all the patients are being admitted in the home she works at.

I'll be here all night trying to salvage as much as I can.

We have the Susquehanna river that runs through our town and once in a while, she like to get out and meet all the town folk.

I'll have some pictures tomorrow.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2006, 04:15 am »
wow, this is crummy...all around us here just north of San Francisco we had record rains in late December - so the memories are fresh, Bill.  Here's hoping it ends soon for you.

Just so your misery can commisurate a bit.....I'm trying to sell outdoor portable chairs in this weather  :o  Ya' think anybody wants to buy 25,000 chairs in BJ's Wholesale when the last sunny weekend was in February in the Northeast?

Good luck to you, Bill - all joking aside.

John/TCG 

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2006, 04:37 am »
Ya' think anybody wants to buy 25,000 chairs in BJ's Wholesale when the last sunny weekend was in February in the Northeast?

Hey, if you were selling sump pumps, you be a rich man $$$. You cannot find a sump pump anywhere on the East Coast right now.

It will take me weeks to clean up everything down there. There is a LOT of cardboard that will have to go to the trash. Not to mention drying it out so we don't end up with a mold situation.
 Geezzzzz, I never realized how many styrofoam peanuts I had down ther :lol:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2006, 06:35 am »
 Well, it's about 2:30AM now and the TV just broke in to say that the "worst of the worst is going to be hitting us between now and noon tomorrow".

I posted a few pictures and some delays in custom work on my website.

Here is the link:
 http://www.responseaudio.com/flood2006.htm

rosconey

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2006, 09:22 am »
bitch bitch bitch-you sound like a woman-

you get a indoor pool installed at work and you bitch bitch bitch-

all the streets are being washed and you bitch bitch bitch-

the pleasure of being up at 2:30am to watch tv -and you bitch bitch bitch

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry couldnt resist-

lots of rain in syracue also-but being central new yorkers we are better mentaly equiped to handle  it unlike others who will remain nameless

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2006, 12:07 pm »
Sorry about your basement Bill,

It's been a mess down here around DC area as well.  A lot of federal agencies and museums closed due to flood.  Tonight and tomorrow will be high tide and waterfront shops in Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria are bracing for the worst.  I am lucky to be dry as two of my neighbors are pumping water out of their basements.  Wish you a quick recovery.  Once the water goes away, just turn all the Hurricanes and Monsoons on :rotflmao: and you will be dry in no time! :lol: :lol:

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2006, 03:40 pm »
send us some of that rain in texas.

Levi

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2006, 04:11 pm »
Sorry to hear about the flooding.  I guess you can consider your self lucky in some ways.  If the water did not sweep in from the foundation, it could have pushed the foundation and you know that's even more expense.  Hopefully, all you have to do is to use dry vac for now.
Mother nature is taking a toll on us up here in the North East. Just today, the roads around my store turned into raging rivers. I thought I was safe but as I walk into the store late this evening to check on things, I find stuff floating in the basement. I was not too concerned as I am quite a bit higher than the creeks and rivers that run by but now the water is coming up from beneath the foundation and rising steadily. I am told that if it gets any higher that I will loose my electric service.

With no end in sight, it appears I will have to close for a few days till things calm down. Between trying to find a way to pump out water from my store as well as my home, I am going to be busy.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2006, 05:01 pm »
 Things are getting much worse now. it's 1PM Wednesday and we are in a lot of trouble. The river is going to top it's flood walls at 4PM which will put 90% of this town under water. I have a large creek within 50 yards of my store that flows into the river. Once the river crest, the creek will stop flowing and back up even more than it is now. Just waiting things out.

I am sitiing in the front parking lot now watching the water come across my road and we are still 3 hours from the worst of things.

There is a house buring up the road right now that started from an electrical fire (I think).

My parents had to evacuate and my uncle lost his house this morning where the water is above the front door.

My main concern now if the welfare of those around me.

We lost two people already that got swept away by flash flooding.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2006, 05:41 pm »
That's bad Bill.  Forget the boxes.  Just keep your family safe.  The weather guys are saying this kind of weather happens once every 200 years and we are in the middle of it. Take care.

arthurs

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2006, 05:46 pm »
second Woodsyi's comments.  Stuff is just stuff, keep everyone safe.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2006, 05:47 pm »
That's bad Bill.  Forget the boxes.  Just keep your family safe.

The first thing we did was make sure the families were safe. They are at the house, about 3 blocs away in a "safe zone" as it is up hill from the store.
 I am at the store where the problems are getting worse. I am going through and backing up all my files and getting all the gear up off the floor just in case. (The boxes are toast).

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2006, 05:49 pm »
bitch bitch bitch-you sound like a woman-

you get a indoor pool installed at work and you bitch bitch bitch-

all the streets are being washed and you bitch bitch bitch-

the pleasure of being up at 2:30am to watch tv -and you bitch bitch bitch

sorry couldnt resist-

Beleive it or not, I needed that. It put a smile on my face. :D

mgalusha

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jun 2006, 05:52 pm »
Best of luck to you and the families Bill. Good to know they are in a safe location.