Estimated release for SB4?

dayneger

Estimated release for SB4?
« on: 28 Jun 2006, 12:33 am »
Hey guys,

I´ve been busy travelling for a while and am kind of out of date with the current SB situation.  Is there an SB4 release expected soon, or can I just relax and get one of the current model 3´s? :wink:

Can´t wait to put my 600 CD´s into storage. . .

Thanks!

Dayne

Charles Calkins

Re: Estimated release for SB4?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2006, 02:36 am »
Dayne:
 If you've got 600 CD's you want to put in storage make sure you have a hard drive with mucho storage capacity.

Cheers
                                    Charlie

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2006, 03:26 pm »
The unconfirmed rumour is the next SB will be an "Audiophile" version in a rack mount case. It will use the AK4396 DACs. It will be able to accept external inputs to the DAC. The working name for it is "The Transporter"

Estimated retail is $2,000.00

There is supposed to be one displayed at RMAF in October.

jermmd

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2006, 05:06 pm »
Dayne:
 If you've got 600 CD's you want to put in storage make sure you have a hard drive with mucho storage capacity.

Cheers
                                    Charlie

This was true a couple years ago but a 250gb hard drive is about average today and can routinely be had for less than $80.

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2006, 06:22 pm »
The unconfirmed rumour is the next SB will be an "Audiophile" version in a rack mount case. It will use the AK4396 DACs. It will be able to accept external inputs to the DAC. The working name for it is "The Transporter"

If this is true I would say it is super lame. They have a wonderful sounding unit for the masses and they are gonna increase the price by 600%? Hey at least people will be able to fit 2k in mods in it!  I am sure it won't sound good stock.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2006, 08:40 pm by sts9fan »

Thump553

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2006, 07:54 pm »
Personally I expect the prices for this sort of device to rapidly fall, especially if streaming video capabilities are included.  (Video matters a lot less to me, but more so to the general population, I bet).  I predict that the equivalent of the current SB3 will be selling for $50 in two or three years.  That said, I'm very glad I own my SB3 now-I use it extensively and when I get around to it will probably box up my CDs.

But I wouldn't dismiss the notion of a $2,000 SB4 completely.  Look at the vast number of extremely overpriced audiophile products that are out there.  But at $2,000 it would definately be a niche product.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2006, 07:56 pm »
I no longer use CDs other than to rip them using EAC into FLAC.  I can't stand not having instant access to every song in my collection.  The SB has totally changed the way I listen to music.  I can't go back.  I'm thinking of putting all my DVDs on a similar video-type system.

dayneger

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2006, 09:19 pm »
Wow, $2k is certainly not the price point I'm looking for.  Especially when it probably wouldn't sound better than your modded versions, Wayne!

Thanks for the heads-up about the hard drive size.  I'm planning on using a 500gb NAS with a cheap 500gb extern hard drive as a backup.  I figure this should handle my CDs and my digital photos for quite a while.  To avoid corrupting this thread, I'll ask for NAS recommendations in a separate thread.

If an audiophile SB is in the works, I doubt they'll be bringing an SB4 out any time soon.  Since the SB3 seems to be a great product, I guess I'll jump on it now!

:-) Dayne

Robert57

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2006, 09:51 pm »
Dayne,

I suggest you try to find a SB2 on the secondary so that there is more room under the hood for the best caps. Following this reasoning I recently bought an extra SB2 as a back-up (to my back-up) to give Wayne more room to work his magic. I'm sure Wayne and Vinnie agree that for SB mods sleeker is not better.

Good luck.

Rob

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2006, 01:47 am »

There is supposed to be one displayed at RMAF in October.

I'm taking bets that this thing will still have a switcher for a power supply  :roll: I might even give odds too.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2006, 01:54 am »
I'm sure Wayne and Vinnie agree that for SB mods sleeker is not better.

DAMN RIGHT!!!  :beer: