Question about Power....

WilliamL

Question about Power....
« on: 4 Jun 2003, 07:55 pm »
Guys/Wayne,

What would you recommend?:

I have a good headphone setup with CD player and separate headphone amp (Audience interconnect and HD600 phones.)

Problem is that I am not getting the clarity, 'omph', and definition that I want. I think a power product or tweak may help. Both components are plugged directly into the wall. The CD player has an old MIT Zcord for its power cord. Any suggestions on a cost effective way to improve performance via Boulder gear?

Thanks,
Bill

Wayne1

Question about Power....
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2003, 08:35 pm »
Bill,

I have a pair of HD-600s myself that I am using with a tubed Radii headphone amp.

There are a few things you can do for your headphone rig.

The first thing I would look at is your wall outlet. If you haven't changed it out, I would suggest the ACME 15 or 20 amp Cryo treated outlet. It takes about a month to fully break-in but it will give you better definition and more slam.

Nitro power cables for the amp and CD would also help. They are very open and have wonderful dynamics for the price. The Bybee Power Bar will help in lowering the noise floor and allow more of the subtlies of the music to come through with less glare.

Changing the stock cable on the HD-600s will also help. I do not make any cables for this but the Cardas headphone cable is supposed to be fantastic. I am a Cardas OEM and they were kind enough to let me order a cable for my own use. They are backordered at least 60 days, however.

Finally the biggest "tweak" would be to use a MENSA Plus modded DI/O between the CD player and the amp :D

I shipped Kris' (Obie) back to him on Monday. Maybe if you are real nice to him, he will let you borrow it when it is done with break-in.

Obie

got it
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2003, 08:48 pm »
Wayne-

Thanks for your work.  We just received the DAC in the mail.  I left the power supply at home, so its sitting next to me on my desk looking alluring.  I can't wait to go home and fire it up.  

Bill will probably have to be REALLY nice to get his hands on it. :wink:

Thanks again.

Kris

WilliamL

Question about Power....
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2003, 09:17 pm »
Wayne,

That Bybee power bar looks like it may be a winner.  I will email or call you about it soon. I would like more info about it...!!!

The ACME wall outlet is probably a good idea, but I rent my place and I also won't mess with electricity no matter what. Probably because I got shocked a couple times as a child.  :cry:

I am still on the fence about power cords. I really like what I heard with the Audience cables however, I noticed that yours are more reasonably priced FOR SURE! When my budget allows, I would really like to try out the Nitros.

Darn, Kris is in Nashville and I am in New York. But I am going to get down there hopefully next month!   :wink:  

Thanks,
Bill

JoshK

Question about Power....
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2003, 09:18 pm »
Bill,

If you want you can stop by my place and borrow my bybee power bar.  That way you can see for yourself.  I have been meaning to get in touch with you again but every weekend it seems like I got a million and one things to do.

WilliamL

Question about Power....
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2003, 09:22 pm »
Josh,

Yea. I know that feeling. Always busy. I never understand people who complain that they are bored. How can anybody be bored in this day and age?

Yea. Give me a shout.

Thanks,
Bill