What are the implications of an unshielded PC?

dogberry

« on: 4 Jun 2003, 07:08 pm »
So what does it mean that it's unshielded?  I try to keep my cabling clean, but I do have some cables that end up having to be next to one another.  If I were to get the Nitro PC, would this be a problem?  Will other cables pick up E/RFI from the PC?

What would the difference be between having Bybees in each PC (custom job?) vs getting the Bybee Power Bar?

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2003, 08:14 pm »
We have found that shielding power cords can be sonically detrimental. There is a common misconception that noise is something airborne, picked up by cables, which can therefore be cured with more cable shielding. In real-world AC-powered systems, small leakage or ground noise currents will always flow in any wire connecting two devices. This tiny voltage drop is actually what causes 99% of the noise in consumer audio and video systems. Shielding power cords will do little to help this situation. Ordinary cable shielding, whether copper braid or aluminum foil has virtually no effect on audio magnetic fields. Shields can also cause audible colorations due to raising the power cords impedance. Increasing the distance between signal cables and powerful magnetic fields is the best cure for either electric or magnetic field problems.

The above is a quote from Audience cables about their power cable.

I happen to feel the same way. The ONLY place you need to be careful in routing is with your signal cables from your TT. If you are using good cables, through the rest of your system, there will be no problem. Shielding power cables often causes more problems than it cures

The big difference in adding Bybees in each power cord and using the Power Bar is money and the space they take up. Everything is inside the Power Bar and the Bybee will improve the sound of everything plugged into them for a very reasonable sum.

By adding Bybees to each power cable you will have a fairly large lump in each cable which will weigh the cable down and put a lot of strain on the IEC connector.

When I came up with the idea for the power bar, I was working on power cables with Bybees in them. I did build a prototype. It was really awkard to work with. The Power Bar was my answer to the ergonomic problems and being able to get the benefit of the Bybees without having to spend a lot of money.