Who's catching Superman tomorrow (6/27)?

bubba966

Who's catching Superman tomorrow (6/27)?
« on: 26 Jun 2006, 11:53 pm »
I picked up tickets to Superman at the IMAX tomorrow night 2 weeks ago. And picked up tickets for the weekend earlier than that.

Anyone else plan on catching it tomorrow? If so, are you seeing it in IMAX?

mcrespo71

Re: Who's catching Superman tomorrow (6/27)?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2006, 12:00 am »
I'll catch it sometime.  Not sure about Imax- maybe.

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2006, 02:33 am »
Whatdaya mean "not sure about IMAX"?

IMAX will be the only way to get parts of it in 3-D. And 3-D IMAX is pretty damn cool.

Hell, IMAX is awesome on it's own. It's the only way to see a movie if you can see it that way. Soooo much better picture & sound than regular theaters...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2006, 03:43 am »
Frankly I doesn't really look very interesting to me.  Superman is one of the lamest comic book characters in existance IMOHO, and aside from Kate Bosworth being pretty foxy I haven't seen much that makes me wanna buy a ticket.

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2006, 04:38 am »
Whatdaya mean "not sure about IMAX"?

IMAX will be the only way to get parts of it in 3-D. And 3-D IMAX is pretty damn cool.

Hell, IMAX is awesome on it's own. It's the only way to see a movie if you can see it that way. Soooo much better picture & sound than regular theaters...

Well, it means that I have to go much further to see the movie and I'm kinda lazy.   :lol:

LordCloud

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2006, 07:41 pm »
IMAX 3-D!!!!!! on Saturday at 2:30. I even got the two leather seats!!!

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2006, 08:23 am »
Yup, it was a rather good movie. Looking forward to Saturday when I'm going to see it twice that day in IMAX with different friends.

No, I'm not really a Superman fan (or any DC character for that matter).

IMAX kicks ass.

And the 3-D worked very well for me. Though 3 out of 6 of us had some problems with the 3-D. But they've said they've had problems with 3-D before.

I was a little disappointed that the 3-D didn't use the LCD goggles like was used for Ghosts of the Abyss. But I suppose putting those on, and taking them off 4 times during the movie would've kinda sucked. And it would've sucked to have them sitting in your lap during the non-3D scenes.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2006, 07:40 pm »
Hmmm....Ebert basically said it sucked.  Did you like the 70's Christopher Reeves movies?  I thought they sucked, too, but the reviews were good.  Maybe I'll catch the new one when it hits the cheap theater.  Although I haven't even gotten around to seeing the last X Men film yet. :oops:

LordCloud

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2006, 05:34 pm »
Although I haven't even gotten around to seeing the last X Men film yet. :oops:

Skip it! Just re-watch the first and second one.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2006, 05:59 pm »
Dreadful, absolutely dreadful...

And to think they some how managed to spend 1/4 billion dollars on this abortion of a film.

Last night it was retards night out at the movies.  After the show you could clearly see the disappointment on their faces.  There just isn't anything for anyone here.

mcrespo71

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2006, 01:40 pm »
I just saw this.  I liked it.  IMO it was better than Xmen 3.

Al Garay

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2006, 03:41 pm »
My girls and I enjoyed it as well. It prompted us to go buy the original Superman I and II on DVDs. Boy, have things changed in 30 years... and I used to think Margo Kidder was a babe. My taste has changed.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2006, 06:25 pm »
I saw the movie last weekend and enjoyed it.  It was as a whole one of the better comic book movies and enjoyable for the whole family.  One problem with doing these movies is so many people are entrentched in the original comic book, movie or T.V. versions that it's hard to please them.  And their memories are bound to be better than these current releases.  I mean as a kid you had you "imagination" and a sense of wonderment.  But as an adult the magic is lost for most.  So It's not fair to be overly critical of these movies especially not in comparision to the sources but with respect to any other movie being made at this time, many of these comic remakes hold their own IMO.

Now I'm waiting for the "Six Million Dollar Man" to start production and my wife asked me about "Wonder Woman."

PhilNYC

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2006, 01:34 pm »
I saw this last night.  Very hit-and-miss for me.  The action sequences were unbelieveably cool...and the moments where Kevin Spacey gets to let it all hangout were great.  But I thought Kate Bosworth played Lois Lane with too much surfer-girl angst, and Brandon Routh looked like he had way too much makup on (or plastic surgery) and seemed too much like he was doing a Christopher Reeve impression of Clark Kent, rather than just playing Clark Kent.  In addition, Frank Langella played Perry White like Dracula, and the kid who played Jimmy Olson was more annoying than Jar Jar Binks (well..at least close).  James Madsen was pretty good (better here than he was as Cyclops in the X-Men movies).

I did like the fact that they treated this very much like a sequel to the first Superman movie, and did a lot to tie things back to that film (when I was 14, my parents bought a VCR...one of those heavy top-loading ones back in the 70s).  One week, I was sick, and they bought me a copy of the first Superman movie, and I watched it over and over and over again...so I have very strong memories of that first movie.  This new one had some nice ideas, but overall it fell short for me...

mcrespo71

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2006, 02:00 pm »
I saw this last night.  Very hit-and-miss for me.  The action sequences were unbelieveably cool...and the moments where Kevin Spacey gets to let it all hangout were great.  But I thought Kate Bosworth played Lois Lane with too much surfer-girl angst, and Brandon Routh looked like he had way too much makup on (or plastic surgery) and seemed too much like he was doing a Christopher Reeve impression of Clark Kent, rather than just playing Clark Kent.  In addition, Frank Langella played Perry White like Dracula, and the kid who played Jimmy Olson was more annoying than Jar Jar Binks (well..at least close).  James Madsen was pretty good (better here than he was as Cyclops in the X-Men movies).

I did like the fact that they treated this very much like a sequel to the first Superman movie, and did a lot to tie things back to that film (when I was 14, my parents bought a VCR...one of those heavy top-loading ones back in the 70s).  One week, I was sick, and they bought me a copy of the first Superman movie, and I watched it over and over and over again...so I have very strong memories of that first movie.  This new one had some nice ideas, but overall it fell short for me...

I'd agree with your assessment overall, Phil.  I had a chance to see it again IMAX 3-D last night, so I went.  I liked it even better this way, though I wished even more of the movie was in 3-D.  Still, I think it was one of the better superhero movies in awhile because, as you mention, it really pays respect to the original 2 Superman movies.

Michael