Frank - Any Audible Advantage to Bi-Wiring Speakers?

TomW16

avahifi wrote:

"I want to try bi-wiring my Salk HT-3s because there may be good technical reasons for doing this. Of course I could bi-amp too, but one thing as a time.

Frank"

Hi Frank,

Just wondering whether the bi-wiring made any audible difference compared to a single speaker cable run of adequate gauge?  I am interested to hear your thoughts and experience with this.  

Thanks.

Tom[/quote]

avahifi

Frank - Any Audible Advantage to Bi-Wiring Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2006, 06:22 pm »
I have not tried this yet with anything bigger than an Ultimate 70 and a couple sets of really old 18 guage speaker wires that were already there for a different application (pair of Biro L/1 speakers and an old B&W passive Acoustitue subwoofer) all terminated in banana plugs.  Works fine, but I cannot comment on any better or worse performance than not bi-wired.

I did get a set of special made bi-wire speaker wires from Mr. Speltz, but these are solid wires, very very very stiff, and I am really in doubt about trying them because I think they are so stiff that the banana plugs could pop out of the terminials on the speakers and the amplifier and cause problems.  I will try them when I have some free time and can arrange them for safe operation.

Frank Van Alstine

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
Re: Frank - Any Audible Advantage to Bi-Wiring Speakers?
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2006, 12:47 pm »
Frank, you owe it to yourself to give the magnet wire a try. I've done a lot of reading about wires, cables, etc. & magnet wire always seemed to get very high praise for it's performance. I decided to give it a try, so I went the DIY route. I picked up some 12ga solid core OF magnet wire w/ the red varnish coating, more than likely the same wire you have. I made a bi-wire run using GLS locking bananas that work beautifully. No problems at all at either the amp or speaker terminals. Let me tell you I was simply amazed at the way they perform. Before I was using Canare 4S11 star quad bi-wire cables. The canare's were very good but the magnet wire simply out performed them on all aspects of carrying the music signal from your spectacular OmegaStar 440EX amp to my AAD 2001 monitiors. The difference was very immediate & a real ear opener. I think their claim to fame is their insulation or lack of it really. In laymans terms I assume that the signal has a very direct path & is not fighting against layer upon layer of insulation, woven jackets, etc. Kind of the way you design your gear, no bells & whistles just superb performance. As a side note if anyone is interested in trying this DIY project, I have access to this wire & I can sell it for $.35 ft. & a flat fee of $3.00 to cover shipping & gas to go to the post office. At this price it's worth a shot, you won't be disappointed.