Inexpensive Media Projector

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 19 Jun 2006, 11:19 pm »
Hi everyone, I am looking at some <$1.5k projectors for the showroom. I am not looking to become a dealer for any type of projector or really looking for super high quality. I only need something to project a "decent" image when customers come in to audition electronics that they may use in a home theater application which is not very often.
 I am  sure my little ones will want to come down and hook up their X-Box while I am working as well.
 Need nothing fancy. Just an image. Will only be used with DVD and possibly the gaming system for the little ones.

Here is one I was considering. Your thoughts are appreciated.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/146755/originURLEncoded/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.circuitcity.com%252Fccd%252FSearch.do%253Fc%253D1%2526context%253D%2526keyword%253D739%2526searchSection%253DAll%2526N%253D0%2526Ntt%253D739%2526Ntk%253DAll/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#tabs

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2006, 11:26 pm »
Bill,

After rebate you can get the excellent Panny AE-900 for about $100 more.

If you want to go cheaper, maybe consider some of the under $1000 pj's that don't do hi-def and have a native resolution that is suited for 480P.

George

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2006, 11:31 pm »
I'd recommend the Panasonic also.   Don't underestimate how useful it is to have flexible placement due to the zoom.   I sold my Optoma simply because it was extremely difficult to move it room-to-room for different demo purposes.    I'll replace it with the Panasonic.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2006, 11:35 pm »
I just checked out the Panny. Appears to be a nice unit for the money. I wouldn't mind going up a few bucks but do not want anything less.
 Thanks for the referral Zybar and Kevin, the Panny is now at the top of my list of candidates.
 Any other suggestions.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Inexpensive Media Projector
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2006, 02:44 am »
Well, I decided that for now I am going with a big screen CRT. I now have a 51" Hitachi and very pleased with the results. I didn't want to spend a ton of money as I still plan on installing a projector (going with 110" screen). When I get the projector I want, the Hitachi will go into my home HT system.
 The Hitachi is nestled between the Usher D2 speakers which actually makes the screen look quite small.
 The Manley Labs gear will be here Friday and I will rearrange the system when it all arrives. Right now, a Luminance KST-150 with Usher P-307 preamp are controlling the show.
 We're getting there.