Cartridge Alignment Protractor and Strobe Disc

enjoythemusic

« on: 19 Jun 2006, 05:48 pm »
It has been a while since i have posted and noted the incorrect link on the sticky as we update the URL fromt time to time.

The protractor tool is used for your vinyl turntable to insure proper alignment of the cartridge on your tonearm. The Adobe Acrobat PDF version for easy download, or we have a printed on a high quality cardboard sheet version that is 4 inches wide by 7 inches long (DL or a C5 envelope for my European and overseas friends). Downloading the PDF is of course free, while if you want the high quality printed version all i ask is that you send your request with a self addressed stamped envelope that will fit the protractor to the dude nearest to you. A listing of the locations where it is available for FREE and strobe disc information appears on my Web site at:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm

We also have free downloadable Excel spreadsheet version of you want to make your own protractor to custom specification.

Add to that, free downloadable strobe disc is available on the same web page to check the speed accuracy of your turntable. If anyone has any questions or problems, please let me know. Always glad to be of service. After all, what really matters to me is that you...

mfsoa

« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2006, 06:00 pm »
I want to make use of the strobe patterns - Is there a special light source required, or just any fluorescent?

How about a laptop PC who's video refresh is set to 60hz? Would that be reliable?

Thanks for the tips!

enjoythemusic

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2006, 07:15 pm »
Yes, all you need is a 60Hz 'flashing' source.

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2006, 09:54 pm »
uh-oh the Boss finally found me  :o  :mrgreen:

enjoythemusic

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2006, 01:07 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
uh-oh the Boss finally found me  :o  :mrgreen:

:nono:

(All said in good humor) LOL. Yup, you are cold busted! Now i will let you off with only a warning IF you can tell me what my avatar is.   :idea:

Wayner

Re: Cartridge Alignment Protractor and Strobe Disc
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2006, 04:29 pm »
The problem with the cartridge alignment tool from enjoythemusic is that it is designed around a theortical platter spindle to tonearm pivot distance with a fixed overhang and offset angle. There are a lot of turntables that were not designed around those perimeters and you could put your stylus into the wrong position for a particular model of turntable or tonearm. I know the geometry (using CAD) and can prove that one alignment tool does not fit all. Many of the current manufactures offer a 9" tonearm (228.6mm) with a .708 (18mm) overhang. They generally have around a 24 degree offset angle but this can vary with the different design perimeters. I give credit to enjoythemusic for making people aware of the stylus positioning problem, but the fix is not that simple. It is close for some models, but it is not exact, either. Check your turntable or tone arm specifications. The arm could be mounted in the wrong position too if installed by a non-machist type person! Older turntables such as the Empires or ARs have differect spindle center to tonearm center pivot distances. The Harmon Kardon has a 8.50" spindle to pivot distance! All of this cartridge alignment stuff can be a can of worms!

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2006, 05:13 pm »
The problem with the cartridge alignment tool from enjoythemusic is that it is designed around a theortical platter spindle to tonearm pivot distance with a fixed overhang and offset angle.
I also found it to be only reliable on a few tables and never as easy to use as others. Still, FREE is a good price! I also have made a more simple protractor that has been available for free for some time. The protractor on our site has been designed using Baerwald dimensions and includes instructions to site the overhang of the cartridge first. This is not really needed as the alignment will be correct when the stylus/cantilever is square with both null points, but I find that it speeds things up considerably and has helped more than one person get a proper alignment. It is accurate on any table. None of these protractors based on Baerwald's geometry are really unique other than some are easier to read than others. I found some others a pain and so made my own. Also I believe I was one of the first (as opposed to the very first like Al Gore) who had posted a free strobe disc and it is also available there and has all speeds on one disc.
perhaps most importantly, there are also free instructions on how to make very sturdy, modular, and affordable crates to store your Lp collection. This design allows easy transportation of collections, easy additions to accomodate a growing collection without investing in a huge system upfront, and the ability to finish in any style so that you will never find that your chosen product has been discontinued right after you inherit your rich uncle's classic jass Lp collection! You have kept in contact with your uncle, right? ,;-).
Here is the link to the free analog goodies:  http://www.uptownaudio.com/Hi-Fi/Tools/phono.htm

OTL

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2006, 10:39 pm »
Yup, all TT's and arms are different.  So's what's ya gotta do is null the offset at two different points.  Look down the list for the protractor:  [url}http://www.dbsystemsaudio.com/products/ [/url]

That'll do it!

Mike B.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2006, 02:02 am »
Perhaps many of you know of this resource....but there are lots of free goodies on www.vinylengine.com, as well, for you platterheads.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library.shtml

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2006, 02:08 pm »
Apparently, a lot of people don't understand geometry and that's O.K.. Unless your turntable is designed to Baerwald's perfect arm length/overhang/offset angle, the free protractor could put your stylus in the wrong position. The fact is, many turntables (with factory arms) can't swing the same radius because the tonearm pivot to spindle distance is different and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Changing the factory set overhang design will make the arm length longer (or shorter), thus changing the offset angle. Yes, in many newer turntables, the protractor will be close, but for older models, some tonearms simply can't get to the alignment points. I have drawn several case studies on CAD and have layered them with the turntable spindles as the reference point. The arcs clearly swing in a  different path. Are they far off? Some, no. Others, yes! One more point, does your printer print to scale to use the free protractor, after all we are splitting hairs.

W

enjoythemusic

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2006, 04:03 pm »
Hi everyone,

Excellent comments and agree not everything is perfectly equal. The PDF is a good basic 'known,' though there are other settings some people may benefit from. This is why we also have an Excel spreadsheet with different parameter settings for various setups... or make your own :)

In other words, the Excel file has 'known good' variants yet you can feel free to play with the setting in Excel and make a protractor to whatever tweak parameters you desire. Problem is not many people are super detail oriented and just want to print up a sheet so we have a basic 'known good' for many setups. Of course those into full tweaking may love the Excel version. Of course it is all free :)