Please give me some ideas how to sound-proof my windows!

95bcwh

All,
  Can anyone suggest some ideas what I can do to reduce noise coming through a big glass windows (5ft x 7ft) in my listening room? I'm staying in a rented property so I am looking for a non-permanent, non-destructive way, i.e. things that I can put up and take down without too much hussle.

One thing: Looks is NOT important to me at all!  :lol:

Thank you all.
  barry

95bcwh

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2006, 02:51 am »
Quote from: tvad4
Here's a start:

http://soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html

oh.. interesting.. never saw these before.. do you think 1/8" inch thickness is enough?

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2006, 03:03 am »
Quote from: tvad4
No. I use 1 1/2", and it could be thicker.

Wow... that's $25.95 per ft, I will need 10ft, that's $259.5+$135 shipping...

slightly over my budget..  :(

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2006, 10:41 am »
Build your own acoustical panels.  Search for the recipe at this circle using high density (6 pounds per cubic foot) foam in 4ft x 8 ft sheets with a small wood frame and cover with your favorite cloth.

If you scronge hard enough you should be able to come up with a quality product for under $100.  In smaller quantities you probably can't beat the GIK prices.

As mentioned above the thicker the foam the better.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2006, 11:01 am »
Carlman here recently made some panels using OC703, I believe.  Try searching for that.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2006, 08:26 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable
Carlman here recently made some panels using OC703, I believe.  Try searching for that.
....Carl's room........windows behind his audio rack....

Carlman

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2006, 01:03 pm »
I really need to update those photos...

What you need is a barrier that doesn't allow sound through but could also improve your room acoustics.  You will need 2 things; rigid fiberglass and thin plywood.

The plywood can be cut at the lumber yard to fit in your car. *or taxi*  You'll get 4 2x4 sheets from 1 4x8 at $10.  You'll then need 4 panels of rigid fiberglass.  This can be hard to find.  I think they come in packs of 6 around $30.  You'll then need some fabric to cover the panels and a staple gun to staple the fabric to the plywood.  You could probably also use a glue gun.... I'm not sure.  Do whatever you want on the fabric, just make sure it's somewhat breathable.  A lot of people like burlap but I can't hear any difference between that and more attractive fabrics.

But, for well under $100 you could make 4 nice panels that would provide a 2" soft wall with a 1/4" plywood sound barrier on the back.  

Good luck,
Carl

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2006, 02:33 pm »
If the window is recessed, you can actually make an insert similar to the panels described above.

Make it maybe 1/4" smaller than the opening and use foam weather stripping around the edges.  That way, you can slide it right into the opening and provide at least a minimal seal all around.  Not perfect but relatively effective.

If it's not recessed, then maybe consider a panel that can be velcro mounted over the top of the window - maybe even with velcro.  Leave it soft on both sides and have some sort of barrier in the middle.  This will be pretty effective as sounds from the outside (mids and highs) will get some absorbtion before hitting the barrier and also prevent any resonance from building up between the plywood and the glass in that cavity.

Bryan

95bcwh

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2006, 03:11 pm »
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I do agree that covering the windows up with acoustic panels is perhaps the way to go, but that will take some more time.. I have to start resourcing the raw materials from ground zero again.

So for the time being, I resort to quick and dirty methods for the time being: I cover up the windows with 3 pieces of thick quilts, I then place a thick curtain in front of them, it does reduce the noise significantly to a much more tolerable level.  :mrgreen: