Best Buy Insignia upgrade completed

Danny Richie

« on: 16 Jun 2006, 10:28 pm »
I have completed the upgrade on the Insignia speakers being sold through Best Buy. I am pretty pleased with the result. It was a fun project too.

See upgrade kit here: http://www.gr-research.com/insignia.htm

Let me know if there are any glitches in the page. I hate building web pages. Building speakers are way more fun, and I am a lot better at it too.

audiojerry

« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2006, 11:28 pm »
Wonderfully presented, Danny.

It's a great way for a newcomer or anyone on a budget to launch into the high end with a really fun looking project.

You are a true asset to the AC community.

Congratulations!  :beer:

clarke68

• http://www.robinsononline.com/clarke
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2006, 01:33 am »
Completely freaking cool, Danny, way to go!

From a newbie-learning/sound quality per dollar perspective, how would you say the Insignia/GR kit package stacks up to the Dayton BR-1?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2006, 09:09 pm »
From a newbie-learning/sound quality per dollar perspective, how would you say the Insignia/GR kit package stacks up to the Dayton BR-1?

I'll let some one else A/B them.

If I had the BR-1's I'd likely have to make some of the same mods to them to bring them up to their potential as well.

The enclosure definitely needs some bracing and No Rez treatment. Cap quality could come up too.

Decent drivers though.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2006, 10:29 pm »
Nice work, Danny!  I'll recommend to any newbies that want an easy, inexpensive entre into DIY.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2006, 06:54 pm »
Due to the number of orders for these, regular orders for A/V-1 kits, and the delay in my last order from Alpha Core (they are three weeks behind), I am now out of 2.0 mH inductors that are used in this upgrade. I should have more here on Monday (the 26th) and will begin shipping these kits again at that time.

Sorry for the delay.

ZooDog

Re: Best Buy Insignia upgrade completed
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2006, 06:13 pm »
Danny,

Would this project be a good project for a novice?  I'm referring to the soldering and deciphering of the wiring diagram.  The water putty part looks pretty simple.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2006, 07:27 pm »
Would this project be a good project for a novice?

Yea, I'd say it was a novice level upgrade.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2006, 07:14 pm »
I sold a lot of these upgrades, but it has been mostly to non-forum members.

Hopefully we will hear some feedback on those soon.

face

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2009, 10:21 pm »
A friend of mine gave me a pair of his Insignias that were no longer in use. 

I hooked them up in my rig and didn't think they sounded bad for their retail cost.  Imaging was pretty impressive.  Female vocals sounded pretty good, but just about any other kind of music highlighted their flaws, especially the woofer's breakup.

Since my brother has been asking for a pair of decent speakers, and it will be a little while before I can start building anything else, I decided to hot rod these and give them to him for Christmas. 

About 8am I got to work, breaking down the speakers and started to apply putty the insides.  While the putty was drying, I stripped the crossovers and got to work on the new boards with GR's Insignia upgrade kit.  Including a few breaks, some internet browsing, it took a few hours to complete them. 

I only have a few hours on them, but will say they're much more pleasant to listen to.  The woofer's breakup is no longer noticeable and the speaker is much more coherent.  If I had a small room or a nearfield setup, I'd be tempted to pick up a pair for myself and upgrade them.