Holy Jeepers Batman! $35 Inteconnects!

Kevin Haskins

« on: 16 Jun 2006, 06:58 pm »
Ok... I've been working on cable kits of all things.   I started this business doing cable kits and over the years I've gotten away from offering them.   Taking what we have learned over the years I'm creating a new line of kits and options for finished product.    

Our new cable kits utilize parts I've learned to trust.   The products are top-notch in construction and quality and the results you get from following our instructions match up well against products at multiples of their price.    We have done enough blind A/B comparisons with these cables that they have proven extremely capable performers at any price let alone at the killer deal the kits represent.   Don't feel like building them?   There are options available for the guy not interested in slinging solder.   :-)

Canare L-2T2S Cable Kit

http://www.diycable.com/main/images/product_giant/609/Canare2.jpg">

klh

« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2006, 07:25 pm »
Kevin... nice deal. I'm sure plenty of cost consious people will give 'em a shot.

RAW

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2006, 07:54 pm »

What a deal. :drums:
Kevin has come up with a very good cable for those who have not tried them.

At the price these cables are well worth over $250.00  we tried a few others at CES.

We were in a room with Dan from Adire and beside Kevins HT room , and yes the walls were moving :dance:

At the show we had 4 other brands of interconnects as well as speaker wires to use, and I will say a single set we had to use if we wanted was very costly, worth more than the price of the UCD180 complete Amp plus the cables complete from Kevin.

And you can see in all our pictures as well as any others you may see of our room at CES , DIY Cable cables as well as the little UCD180 amp from Kevin.

This amp was a spare Kevin brought along for doing measurments if needed and thanks to Kevin again as the other amps we had ,stayed under a table after we tried Kevins UCD180 Amp.

The cables are well worth ever penny and more.

Do not loose out on this deal as they will shock even the critics out there.

modwright

• Industry Contributor
    • ModWright Instruments
My experience with these cables...
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2006, 11:57 pm »
I can attest to the great sound of these cables also.  We did some after-hours listening comparison at last year's Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, comparing Kevin's cables to others that were much more costly.  They held their own quite well and get my hearty recommendation.  At this price for the kit they are a steal.  Even pre-terminated and ready to plug-in, they are a fantastic buy.

Dan W.

Fife12

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2006, 01:02 am »
Any comparisions with Canare L5-CFB?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2006, 02:44 am »
How much for a 14' pr?

That would be fully assembled, not too fussy about connectors…

Email me... I'm not at the office right now and I don't have all my figures in front of me.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2006, 03:31 am »
Oooohhh I like.  :D

I've been toying the with the idea of getting some silver double shielded coax off ebay and the silver Cardas connectors and making my own interconnects. But this kit would come close to how much it would cost me to build them, so this is tempting.

Go Kevin!

wendell

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2006, 08:54 am »
Kevin, is the price for 1m pair?  I wish I knew you were coming out with kits again,  I e-mailed you a few weeks ago about your superlatives and got the impression you were done with DIY cable kits.  

I just spent $200 on some cable kits 2 days ago, I might still try this kit.  How do they compare to the superlatives?

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2006, 01:05 pm »
Which connectors are used?

kfr01

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2006, 04:08 am »
Kevin:

They look great!  Any thoughts on an XLR version?

Karl

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2006, 02:26 pm »
Quote from: Fife12
Any comparisions with Canare L5-CFB?

No... the V5-CFB is a coax.... more suited to video transmission.   I have some that I've used for component video.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2006, 02:38 pm »
Quote from: wendell
Kevin, is the price for 1m pair?  I wish I knew you were coming out with kits again,  I e-mailed you a few weeks ago about your superlatives and got the impression you were done with DIY cable kits.  

I just spent $200 on some cable kits 2 days ago, I might still try this kit.  How do they compare to the superlatives?

I'm sorry... the Superlative is not coming back.   It was too much labor and people couldn't understand why I wouldn't terminate them.  ;-)   All the new stuff will be easy to terminate and build.   The better designs are all from the Cardas line-up that offer many of the benefits of the Superlative with less labor (but higher cost).

How they compare?   I'll leave my comments to the technical.   The Superlative was a twisted pair design with the Vampire solid CCC wire.  Almost all of the designs I like are simple twisted pairs or star-quad configurations.    Why?   They are very difficult to improve upon from a technical standpoint.   Most other exotic designs are just an effort to make something different and unique in a crowded market.    

The Canare & Cardas finished cables have the advantage of being machine wound.    It is impossible to repeat the accuraccy in twisting, tension and dimensions winding cable by hand.   It would be like comparing a manual cut part to something cut by a CNC machine.    The CNC cut part will be spot-on in all dimensions (assuming it was programmed right) and every part it spits out will be the same.   A hand-built part is not as accurate and each part varies.    

For those reasons and for practicality of ease of termination I've stuck with cable designs based upon products that are machine wound rather than hand-built.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2006, 02:43 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Which connectors are used?

I only use Cardas parts for termination.   That might change as I'm sampling some RCAs for an Exodus RCA.   The Cardas parts will probably still end up being the bulk of my use.   They have proven to be great parts that last for years of use.    I'm not fond of plastic connectors despite their popularity and their claims of better performance.    The so-called better performance is at the price of durability and ease of termination.   I also don't find a couple pF of capacitance to make any real differernce.     :roll:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2006, 02:48 pm »
Quote from: kfr01
Kevin:

They look great!  Any thoughts on an XLR version?

Karl

Sure... it is an option at the bottom of the page.   We would send the Exodus XLRs.   This picture is of the Neutrik part but I've migrated over to the Exodus parts now that I have them in stock.   They are almost an exact copy of  the excellent Neutrik XLRs.

I'm also going to have instructions that are Hypex specific for building the adaptor cables per Bruno' recommendations.    All of our cables are not suitable for either balanced or single ended applications.

kfr01

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2006, 04:46 pm »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins
Sure... it is an option at the bottom of the page.

Kevin:

Looks great, but I don't see the option at the bottom of the page.  Perhaps I need to refresh my cache...

Cheers,

Karl

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2006, 04:54 pm »
Quote from: kfr01
Quote from: Kevin Haskins
Sure... it is an option at the bottom of the page.

Kevin:

Looks great, but I don't see the option at the bottom of the page.  Perhaps I need to refresh my cache...

Cheers,

Karl

Your right... I didn't get it updated before I left the office on Friday.   Just put a note in the text box at checkout.   The price is the same in either configuration.   I'll fix my oversight on Monday!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2006, 09:20 pm »
Ok... some updated termination directions are now online.    These are a big file due to pictures.   If anyone wants to take a look and give me some feedback it would be appriciated.

Cable Kit Instructions

klh

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2006, 09:31 pm »
Kevin... have you thought of doing HDMI and/or DVI cables?

DeadFish

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jun 2006, 09:34 pm »
Kevin, your instructions made pretty good sense, with good illustrations to me, and I have a tendency towards 'thick-headed'.  :wink:
Good enough job to get me tempted....

Regards,
DeadFish

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jun 2006, 10:49 pm »
Quote from: klh
Kevin... have you thought of doing HDMI and/or DVI cables?

Nope... they require special tooling that is beyond my humble means.  ;-)