Elpac Power Supply mods

Wayne1

Elpac Power Supply mods
« on: 13 Jun 2006, 09:26 pm »
I am now offering mods to the ELPAC WM075-1950-760 power supply for use with the SqueezeBox.

The mods consist of replacing the diodes with HexFreds, upgrading the smoothing cap and replacing the resevoir cap with low ESR panasonics. I also use a Black Gate NX series as a bypass cap on the regulator's output terminals. The cost for this mod is $85.00 (including return shipping). If you have the PS with a DIN connection, I will replace the connector with a 2.5 mm DC connector for the same price.

I have heard the stock ELPAC in a couple of systems and I am fairly impressed with it. I did feel it could be made to sound better. I arranged to purchase one, used. It had some problems, but I was able to repair it. While I was at it, I also changed some parts. The difference between the stock ELPAC and the modded was quite obvious and far more enjoyable.

The bass extended deeper and was tighter than stock. The highs were not quite as harsh and the dynamics increased.

You would need to own an ELPAC PS or purchase one from Allied Electronics. You can then place an order for mods here

I should be able to have a fairly quick turn around on these mods.

If any of you have any of the open frame power supplies that were being suggested for use with the SB, I would also be willing to update the parts in those for a modest fee :wink:  The power supply would have to be in a case.

Charles Calkins

Re: Elpac Power Supply mods
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2006, 12:38 am »
Got my Elpac back from Wayne yesterday. It only has about 12hrs. break in time on it right now and Wayne says it will get better after a couple of hundred hours.
 My first impression is that it is far better than the stock switcher power supply. Everything sounds more alive with much better detail.
 I'm impressed! Yo Wayne!!! You done good!!! :D :D :D

Cheers
                                               Charlie

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2006, 04:27 pm »
Thanks for the comments, Charlie.

The modded ELPAC is the best bang-for-the buck PS I know of for the SB.

I can usually turn them around in less than a week.

lcrim

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2006, 05:13 pm »
My Bolder modded Elpac PS has finally passed the 500 hour mark and the Blackgates capacitors have , I think, stopped changing. 
The sound did go through some stages but has reached a plateau for a few days.  The system is in a smallish room (11'X14"X8') and is driven by a low powered SET amp and also has a 6SN7 preamp so the intent was for image density and warmth.  The modded Elpac PS on the SB has dramatically reduced the harshness in the treble that I didn't notice until it was gone.  The result is the ability to discern the dynamics in the music w/o the need for cranking the gain.  You can hear the inner details more readily, a very good thing.  The cost is also a considerable factor in this, the improvement is really tangible for less than $135 all up. 
Very often, I put the SB on random play and hear music I had forgotten about and its nice to be reminded of, sort of like old friends. 
BTW, I recently flashed the firmware on my Linksys WiFi base unit, and even occassional hiccups have cleared up.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2006, 10:08 pm »
The ELPAC Power Supply WM075-1950-760 appears to no longer be available from Allied Electronics.

The WM075-1950-D5 is available from Allied. Digi-Key has it as well under the part number EPS143-ND

This is the same power supply but it has a 5 pin DIN connector on it.

I am willing to mod the ELPAC and change the connector out to the correct one to fit the SqueezeBox for the same price.

ELPAC has discontinued this design of power supply in favor of a switcher. I suggest you buy these while you can still get them.

There are about 40 of them in stock at Digi-Key. Allied has about the same amount.
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2006, 03:07 am by Wayne1 »

AphileEarlyAdopter

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2006, 02:12 am »
Hi Wayne,
I am ready to order this
http://rocky.digikey.com/scripts/ProductInfo.dll?Site=US&V=166&M=WM075-1950-D5

Is this the right one to mod ? can I ship this direct to you ? (to the address listed on your website).
(BTW, does the power supply make a difference even when with digital output, I guess it does. Since you are using the SB as a transport to your Panny. Just wanted to confirm. I will take your word for it :-)).

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2006, 03:09 am »
That is the correct item.

You can enter the address from the web as the ship to.

It makes a VERY big difference on digital out.

Many folks have had the ELPAC modded who use it only as digital out. All have noted a big change in the sound of their system.

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2006, 08:19 pm »
The ELPAC power supplies are just about gone at both Allied and Digi-key.

If you are thinking of getting one as a replacement PS for your SqueezeBox, you had better act quickly.

Allied has them here

Digi-key has about 10 of them left. Search for part number EPS143-ND

You can have them shipped direct to me for mods, if you wish.

Please place an order through the Bolder Cable website for the mods here

Jeff G

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2006, 01:48 am »
Wayne,
I have seen a few Elpac WM220 1A PS (specs below) for sale as of late. I am guessing this is a linear power supply? Any thoughts for use with a SB? Do you do mods on these? Do you think the price is consistent with the other Elpac?

Thanks,
Jeff

More info:
http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/Datasheets/BM/ELPAC/Elpac_Power-Products_8790135.pdf

Manufacturer:
Elpac Power Systems

Description:
Power Supply; 5 V, 12 V, -12 V; 2 A @ 5 V, 0.5 A @ 12 V, 0.5 A @ -12 V; 2.6 in.

Low ripple⁄noise
Fully enclosed plastic case
Fully regulated output

The input frequency range of the power supply is 47 to 63 Hz. 
0-1A on line.

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2006, 02:25 am »
That PS with 2 A at 5 VDC looks interesting. I have not looked at that one before.

If someone wants to send me one, I would be happy to see what I can do with it.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2006, 02:35 am »
I just ordered the other one you have been modding, what do you suspect might the differences be between the two?

Cheers

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2006, 04:04 pm »
The current is a bit more at 5 volts that the "standard" ELPAC I have been working on. It does have other voltages so there are more parts inside. I would guess that I would have to remove the other parts and concentrate on the 5 volt 2 amp circuit.

The ELPAC WM075-1950 is a known entity.

The multi-volt is totally unknown. The WM075 would be a sure thing. The multi-volt is a long shot  :wink:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2006, 05:24 pm »
Wayne,

Check your PM. I have an Elpac WM075-1950-D5 on it's way to you.

Cheers

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2006, 12:51 am »
Wayne,

Just got your PM. Wow, that was fast.

Thanks for the quick turnaround on my Elpac PS. :thumb:

Cheers

Brad

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2006, 02:51 pm »
I have to agree on the blazing fast turnaround on the ELPAC.
Wayne must have had it disassembled within 5 minutes of UPS finally delivering mine to him. :o

It came yesterday while I was home with a sinus infection.
My head is completely stuffed - so it will probably be this weekend before I can fire it up for a good listen. :evil:

Thanks Wayne - great service!!!!!! :thumb:

Jeff G

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:24 am »
Mine came back in a flash as well! I punted the idea of the 2amp PS and went with the "known entity." I had read a  couple of email voicing concerns (and iassues such as dimmed displays) when using th 1.5 amp Elpac with the SB3. I have not had any issues such as this. Works great.

As per the sound. Mine has been burning in for about 2-3 weeks. I also built three powercords (basic Marinco/Wattgate and DH Labs Power plus cable). These replaced my run of the mill "computer grade" IEC cords. I changed everything out at once. So it's not possible to dicern what effected any change. The changes really sounded awful at first.  :(  I was concerned I had introduced some RF issues with the cords. I also thought I was having hearing problems. The highs were shrill and a major drag to listen to. I was aware of the burn in issues but had no idea it was this so clearly audible (and unpleasant).

After 3 weeks, the sound is great. I haven't (and don't plan on) trading back the cords and then the PS to try and quantify the changes. I may drop the stock PS back in at some point. To my ears, the break in was much more audible than the difference in the stock and modded Elpac. I may change that tune after listening a bit more.

I'm very happy with the change.

I'm using a stock SB3 into a MHDT Constantine. I bleieve the Constantine was an improvement over the stock SB3 (no Elpac). I am curious about how a basic modded analog SB3 would compare to the MHDT (both with the Bolder Elpac). Anyone been down that road?

Jeff

tvyankee

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2006, 10:36 pm »
Hey,

Thanks for the great work on the Elpac and the fast turn around.The ps sounds great and the one thing that stands out is the detail i am getting, very good detail and depth.I am sure after a little while of break in it will get even better.

Thanks

Wayne1

« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2006, 10:53 pm »
Brad, Jeff, tvyankee,

You are all welcome. Thank all of you and many others for ordering the ELPAC PS mods. Break-in will take around 400-600 hours of constant use. During that time bass will come and go. At the end of that time everything should stabilize and be clean and clear with deep, tight bass.

If anyone is still interested in the getting the ELPAC modded, it looks like Digi-Key just received some more. Right now they show 83 in stock.

I have plenty of parts on hand for the mod. I am getting a bit backlogged on SB mods and Ultimate Power Supply builds. I will still try to turn the ELPAC mod around as fast as I can, but it may be more like 72 hours rather than 48.

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2006, 11:08 pm »
I love mine.  It's a great upgrade for the price.  It gave me a more natural sound with better timbre and instrument separation and stronger bass.

My source setup: Ack! dAck! 2.0 battery-powered DAC ---> SB3 digital out (power --->) Bolder-modded Elpac PSU ---> Powervar 4 amp isolation transformer ---> Powervar 11 amp isolation transformer ---> wall outlet.

Tip: Have the Elpac supplier ship to your name c/o Bolder Cable at the Bolder Cable address.  If using DigiKey, at the shipping screen select Jefferson County for Bolder Cable's county (it asked me which county it was shipping to).