Saw a good plasma for two grand!

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« on: 13 Jun 2006, 09:12 pm »
The Hewlett Packard 42 PL4260N.

It's not for me, but a friend of mine in the market. We were really pleasantly surprised at this little gem, especially at its price point.

He's pretty much ready to pull the trigger on it, since this is about the most he's willing to spend and he doesn't want a bulky tube nor is he pleased with LCD's at this price point whatsoever.

Any reasons why he shouldn't do it?

82 views in less than 2 days and nothing, huh?   :lol:

How's this thing compare against the

Panasonic 42" Plasma HDTV
Model: TH-42PX60U?

I'm told that the HP is good but the Pannys are more reliable and arguably the better buy, in general.

Levi

« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2006, 06:26 pm »
That's great price for 42" Plasma.  Make sure your friend gets a protection plan.  I saw a couple of 42 incher at costco at extremely competetive pricing.  Goodluck.

windwaves

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2006, 07:56 pm »
man !  "protection plan" you mean the so called "screw you plan" are the biggest well known scam in the industry !!!

You'll be much better off getting a good plasma (with its own good warranties) and forget about wasting money on those meaningless plans.

gio

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2006, 08:10 pm »
I agree it is an added expense.  What happens after 1yr?  2yrs down the line?  I hope you have a small boat so you can use it as a boat anchor.  He he and Ha.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2006, 09:05 pm »
Quote from: windwaves
man !  "protection plan" you mean the so called "screw you plan" are the biggest well known scam in the industry !!!

You'll be much better off getting a good plasma (with its own good warranties) and forget about wasting money on those meaningless plans.

gio

It depends on where you shop, what the condition are, percentage of cost, etc.

Certainly one needs to be VERY careful and discerning on this just like the rest of the purchase.

For two grand, I feel like my friend could do a heck of a lot worse than what we saw with this HP. We'll see what happens. :)

markC

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2006, 09:16 pm »
Protection plans can be a good investment if your savvy about obtaining one. When I bought my 42" plasma Samsung, it was on sale for Ca$ 3400. regular $3895. The sales guy kept pestering me about extended warranty and I kept saying no, no ,NO! He wanted an additional $800 for a four year in home warranty and if it can't be fixed for any reason a new latest model would replace it. Anyway, after sales dude "going to his supervisor", 3 times he finally offered me the tv and the extended warranty for $3700. I took it. So, I don't think I did too bad in the long run and now I know that I'm covered for a year past the "No payments, No interest for 3 years" deal :D

windwaves

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2006, 03:35 pm »
dudes. Save you money and buy a better plasma.  Good plasmas usually means good warranty where the extra is really not needed.
Fuji, Panny, Nec to mention a few.

Certainly if you go down to second tier or worse brands, you want and will likely need the extra insurance.  All I am saying is that it is a very non intelligent way to shop.  That's my opinion.

ww

windwaves

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2006, 03:47 pm »
Quote from: Levi
I agree it is an added expense.  What happens after 1yr?  2yrs down the line?  I hope you have a small boat so you can use it as a boat anchor.  He he and Ha.

Well, what happens is that, like everything, it may break after 1yr, 2 yr.

IF you buy a CRAPPY plasma, just like a dishwasher, refrigerator or whatever, chances are just greater that it will break sooner rather than later.  And quite a few plasmas have 3 yr warranties of some kind (of course, the good ones do), so ....

If you think your way you'll have to sell your house to support extension warranties on everything you buy.  And for poor reason.

What is so different about plasmas ?  They have been out for a while, did you notice ?  ehhehe

Carlman

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2006, 09:03 pm »
Well, what happens is that, like everything, it may break after 1yr, 2 yr.

IF you buy a CRAPPY plasma, just like a dishwasher, refrigerator or whatever, chances are just greater that it will break sooner rather than later.  And quite a few plasmas have 3 yr warranties of some kind (of course, the good ones do), so ....

If you think your way you'll have to sell your house to support extension warranties on everything you buy.  And for poor reason.

What is so different about plasmas ?  They have been out for a while, did you notice ?  ehhehe

<sarcasm>
Please let us know which brands are not crappy so we can all benefit from your breakage-free world.   Based on your 'argument' Maytag's never break...  :lol:   Is Kenmore a crappy brand?  What about Troy-bilt?  How do you know what's under the covers anymore?  Who really makes what?  It will change tomorrow.  Where do you get your special information that brand x will not need warranty service?
</sarcasm>

Most people here are pretty rational and don't need too much help figuring out whether they need a warranty or not.  This thread was asking about a Plasma TV, not a warranty.

kfr01

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2006, 09:08 pm »
I've heard nothing but good things about HP's line of home video equipment.

windwaves

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2006, 09:48 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
<sarcasm>
Please let us know which brands are not crappy so we can all benefit from your breakage-free world.   Based on your 'argument' Maytag's never break...  :lol:   Is Kenmore a crappy brand?  What about Troy-bilt?  How do you know what's under the covers anymore?  Who really makes what?  It will change tomorrow.  Where do you get your special information that brand x will not need warranty service?
</sarcasm>

I have very clearly expressed my opinion so, a couple of possibilities and permutations thereof:
(a) you either get it or don't get it or don't want to get it
(b) once you get it, then you may or may not agree. I don't really care.

And whether people are rational or not that is not for me (or you) to say, no relevant, but everyone has his own head and makes his own decisions.  It is their money !

I was giving my advice, you mind ?

mca

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2006, 10:15 pm »
Someone is on dope  :lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2006, 10:38 pm »
I bought the service plan for my daughter's Nano and glad I did.  The screen failed within a couple of months.  With her birthday in September this ended up being a combined birthday/x-mas present, so it ended up failing before x-mas.  

Service plans really sour most any deal for me, but the sales guy's tone of voice and realizing it was a present with no strap (the Nano was so new at the time) that I went for it.

Carlman

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2006, 12:08 am »
I have very clearly expressed my opinion so, a couple of possibilities and permutations thereof:
(a) you either get it or don't get it or don't want to get it
(b) once you get it, then you may or may not agree. I don't really care.

And whether people are rational or not that is not for me (or you) to say, no relevant, but everyone has his own head and makes his own decisions. It is their money !

Doood... lay off the pipe...
I do know that people around here are mostly rational.  I've met many of them in person and have chatted online with folks at AC for the past couple of years.  So, I can indeed say they are rational... And I enjoy being around folks like myself. ;)

My point was that you are sticking out as someone that likes to post without rational thought... and clearly (a) don't get it and don't want to get it...  . :lol:

So, no, I don't mind you giving advice, as long you don't mind being called out for talking out of your arse.

windwaves

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2006, 04:22 am »
Quote from: Carlman
Doood... lay off the pipe...
I do know that people around here are mostly rational.  I've met many of them in person and have chatted online with folks at AC for the past couple of years.  So, I can indeed say they are rational... And I enjoy being around folks like myself. ;)

My point was that you are sticking out as someone that likes to post without rational thought... and clearly (a) don't get it and don't want to get it...  . :lol:

So, no, I don't mind you giving advice, as long you don't mind being called out for talking out of your arse.

I am glad to hear that you've known and talked to people around here for 2 days and a half, not sure how important.  On that basis however I've got to let you know that I am surprised you still don't get it since the only language those like you would understand is what indeed comes from arses and I was giving it my best effort !!!

Anyhow, while I find this entertaining it's now become a distraction and I am sure a disturbance to the forum so, I hope you don't mind ... I am done here.