Exodus Expanding Banana Sale

Kevin Haskins

« on: 7 Jun 2006, 07:25 pm »
I know it sounds funny to have a sale on a banana but I ordered way more of these things than I should have.    My loss your gain.... these are a good part.    $4.48 for the matching pair

Exodus Expanding Banana

ooheadsoo

« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2006, 08:41 am »
Nice parts.  Haven't used the starquad cables I made out of them, yet, but they look sturdy.  BTW, you description says that they're single set screws, but your features box says double, like it should be.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2006, 01:19 pm »
They are double set-screws.   Thanks for pointing that out.   I'll correct it.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2006, 03:32 am »
I have a question. Does the speaker wire go in the end, or in perpendicularly like some bananas sold out there?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2006, 07:08 am »
In the end, although I imagine you could put them in through the side if you really wanted to.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2006, 02:14 pm »
Quote from: Voodoo Rufus
I have a question. Does the speaker wire go in the end, or in perpendicularly like some bananas sold out there?

No... these go in from the back side.   WBT has something like that and the Chinese have copied it.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2006, 03:29 pm »
Thanks, Kevin.

I always thought the perpendicular ones were kind of weird looking.

John Casler

Look like they might be great for VMPS binding posts
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2006, 05:43 pm »
Hi Kevin,

If these have a good "expansion" I would like to suggest them to all VMPS users.

Brian uses a solid post 3 way Binding Post set, so the banana shaft does not "set deep" and some of the barrel type bananas are too soft and flimsy.

If this product has good expansion, I heartily recommend it. :wink:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2006, 07:45 pm »
John,

It should work... our less expensive bananas that are not expanding work pretty good with most post also.    I'll send you a couple to test if you want.   Just drop me a PM with an address.

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2006, 08:42 pm »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins
John,

It should work... our less expensive bananas that are not expanding work pretty good with most post also.    I'll send you a couple to test if you want.   Just drop me a PM with an address.

Hi Kevin,

That would be great since VMPS owners who like to use bananas do have trouble with some of the "bottle nose" type bananas losing their "spring".

PM on its way.

John Casler

Re: Exodus Expanding Banana Sale
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2006, 11:19 pm »
John,

Kevin,

Thanks!!!!

These are AWSOME :o :o

And to all VMPS owners looking for a Banana that will fit securely, this one is a winner  :wink:

Also, even Kevin's regular Bananas fit the VMPS binding post channel securely too.

Hmmmmm... Kevin do you take Paypal?  I have a little balance in there that would allow me to get a few more of these babies.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2006, 05:13 pm »
John,

Sure... glad they work for you.

PayPal Payment email:

order@diycable.com   

I actually prefer the non-expanding bananas but they don't hold-up as well to abuse.   A dab of Locktite on the barrels keeps them from coming off over time (on the non-expanding part).   If you want to solder them, back out the screws and use the threaded hole to feed solder into the part.   

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2006, 10:06 pm »
John,

Sure... glad they work for you.

PayPal Payment email:

order@diycable.com   

I actually prefer the non-expanding bananas but they don't hold-up as well to abuse.   A dab of Locktite on the barrels keeps them from coming off over time (on the non-expanding part).   If you want to solder them, back out the screws and use the threaded hole to feed solder into the part.   

Pay Pal is on the way for 7 more pair :thumb:

mca

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2006, 10:20 pm »
Can I use these bananas with these spade ends?

Well, I cant seem to get the image to post, but it's the same spade shown on the Zu Wax cable. The spade is small enough that it won't fit on some of my binding posts.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2006, 11:51 pm »
Can I use these bananas with these spade ends?

Well, I cant seem to get the image to post, but it's the same spade shown on the Zu Wax cable. The spade is small enough that it won't fit on some of my binding posts.

No... these are not spade to banana adaptors.   None of those types of contraptions ever seem to work very well.   The Cardas CABD is one that I've used for that application but it is expensive and I've been telling Colleen for years that I don't like it.   Cardas makes great stuff but the CABD isn't one of them in my opinion.

I recommend retermination.   It doesn't take much to wack off the spade and terminate the cable with a banana.    Typically all it takes is a little heatshrink, soldering iron and a couple hand tools.   I don't know anything about the Zu cable but it is probably a fairly straight forward termination.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2006, 02:28 pm »
Can you explain expanding versus non-expanding bananas?

Are there any differences between these and the other silver-bodied bananas you sell? It appears as if the contact area is different, and they have a single set screw. Or is the difference mainly cosmetic with the same overall functionality?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2006, 04:12 pm »
The expanding bananas.... expand when you turn the barrel.    That way they lock into the speaker post.    The non-expanding bananas just slip-in and the spring tension of the part holds them in place.   

The contact area is probably greater on the expanding part.   It is hard to measure how much of the connector actually comes into contact with the speaker post.    The non-expanding part fits snug enough that I've never had any concern.   

Both have dual set-screws as an option for termination.   I like to solder them as you get an air tight solid connection that last for years.

TomW16

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2006, 06:31 pm »
I took the plunge and purchased the expanding banana plugs and they look and work great with set screws that don't require soldering.  (You can solder though if preferred by removing the set screw and using the hole).

Thanks Kevin for a good product at a good price!

Tom

kfr01

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2006, 06:54 pm »
Somewhat off topic, but I finally just used the Exodus Econo-Spades I ordered from Kevin some time back to build some speaker cables.  Very solid product.  It appears that the entire Exodus line of connectors is top-notch.

dhiebert

• http://darrenhiebert.com
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2006, 07:47 pm »
They are double set-screws.   Thanks for pointing that out.   I'll correct it.

Apparently, this error never got corrected.