JA on the Squeezebox

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
JA on the Squeezebox
« on: 6 Jun 2006, 08:23 pm »
At the recent HE2006 show in Los Angeles, I had a hallway chat with Jon Atkinson, editor of Stereophile, about his recent experiences with the Squeezebox. First, he has not tried out any modifications or upgrades, keeping with his editorial preference of first sampling products as originally issued. He did note that the stock walwart switching power supply is undoubtedly limiting the performance of the Squeezebox (no surprise to we who have upgraded the PS).  It will be interesting to see his measurements on this aspect. I encouraged him to get ahold of modifications or improved power supplies, perhaps this may come in a follow up.

While the sound of the stock unit was quite good in his opinion, JA felt that the best way to use the squeezebox was via a separate stand alone DAC, in his case the Mark Levinson. While I will await his final review, he hinted that he was mightily impressed by the sound of a Squeezebox feeding the Levinson, but that it did not outclass the best of current high end digital.

He had tried several digital file formats but professed not to hear any differences between FLAC, WAV, Apple Lossless and AIFF. He mentioned that his Squeezebox review will be delayed until August.

While JA has his biases as we all do, I have consistently agreed with most of his reviews of gear over the years, and I find his measurements of gear absolutely essential to my own product purchases. This is not because I rely on measurements, but because I want to know objectively how certain gear will interact with mine, and in the case of digital gear, I do tend to lean towards digital gear that measures well, finding that such better measurements have a distinct correlation with better sound, something that cannot be said for, say, low powered SET amps. Finally, I have found JA in prior interactions over the past 15 years to be one of the most pleasant, approachable people in high end audio, and this time was no different.

I also spoke briefly with Robert Lee, founder of Acoustic Zen, which makes sublime sounding cables and interconnect. I use a 1m pair of MC2, which is a 110 ohm cable. Recent online gurus (Steve Nugent of Emperical Audio among them) have indicated that a 75 ohm cable at least 1.5m in length is always preferred when using the RCA outputs of the Squeezebox. Lee confirmed that the better AZ option is the less expensive Silver Byte, a 75 ohm cable that lists for $200.

Since I am waiting for my house to be finished and my music system is in hibernation, I'll be following up with a comparison.

crooner

JA on the Squeezebox
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2006, 11:14 pm »
Interesting observations. I am also looking forward to JA's formal review in August. While not comparable to $15K Levinsons, my SB3 plus Lite Audio DAC-60 smokes anything below $2K IMHO. My Denon DVD-2910's redbook performance is markedly inferior. And I thought it was pretty good before I got my SB3 setup.

Speaking of the SB3, I just got mine back from Slim Devices. It suffered a sudden death around 2 weeks ago. It had worked flawlessly since I first got it in January. I am hoping the repaired unit will last.

Once you go SB3 it's hard to go back to the old fashioned discs!

Charles Calkins

JA on the Squeezebox
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2006, 01:28 am »
crooner:
  The DAC-60 hooked up to a good transport is very hard to beat. I just about quit listening to my SB3 because I like what I'm hearing with a transport and DAC-60

Cheers
                                Charlie

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
JA on the Squeezebox
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2006, 07:35 am »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
crooner:
  The DAC-60 hooked up to a good transport is very hard to beat. I just about quit listening to my SB3 because I like what I'm hearing with a transport and DAC-60

Cheers
                                Charlie
Charlie....I'm surprised at that statement.... :o
    I thought you really liked the SB....what changed, what's different ? Thanks....[/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

Charles Calkins

JA on the Squeezebox
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2006, 01:19 pm »
Cgris:
 I was going through all the old audio gear I have in storage and ran across my old ULTECH UCD-100 CDplayer. I forgot how it sounded so I hooked it up. Didn't sound bad for an old player. Then I hooked it up to the DAC-60 and that made a huge improvement. IMPRESSIVE!!!. The DAC-60 helped the sound of the SB3 but not nearly like it did with the ULTECH.
 Maybe I just hit the right combination. Don't know. Both systems sound very good. Probably the SB3 DAC-60 is the better of the two. I have bought DAC's in the past and hooked them up to CDplayers with mixed results. This DAC-60 is the best DAC I've had.
 I get a kick out of playing a tune without the DAC hooked up to the CDplayer and then replaying the same tune with the DAC hooked up. IMPRESSIVE!!!
 I hooked the DAC up to a Pioneer DVD player and I couldn't hear it sounding much better. So maybe a real good transport has something to do with the sound. I'm sure the ULTECH has a better transport than the Pioneer DVD player. Interesting subject isn't it.

Cheers
                                      Charlie

Gordy

JA on the Squeezebox
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2006, 01:45 pm »
In the April or May edition of the Stereophile newsletter JA mentioned and linked both Vinnie/RWA and Wayne/Bolder Cable Co. as moders doing work on the SB units!  8)

Charlie, Is your DAC-60 stock or has Sonic Craft modified it?  Thanks!

Loftprojection

JA on the Squeezebox
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2006, 01:47 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
Cgris:
 I was going through all the old audio gear I have in storage and ran across my old ULTECH UCD-100 CDplayer. I forgot how it sounded so I hooked it up. Didn't sound bad for an old player. Then I hooked it up to the DAC-60 and that made a huge improvement. IMPRESSIVE!!!. The DAC-60 helped the sound of the SB3 but not nearly like it did with the ULTECH.
 Maybe I just hit the right combination. Don't know. Both systems sound very good. Probably the SB3 DAC-60 is the better of the two. I have bought DA ...

I have a MHDT Paradisea DAC which is probably similar in performance to the DAC-60 but a different sound signature.  I get the same as you do using my Arcam CD23T as transport into the DAC the using my computer and a digital out gyzmo.  I think good CDP as transport seem to still have a slight edge over computer setups.

crooner

JA on the Squeezebox
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2006, 04:52 pm »
Strange, since the SB3 supposedly has less jitter than standard transports. One the strongest selling points for me was the absense of transport related problems including inaccuracies in the clock.

Also, the SB3 spoils you for the convenience.  When mine was being repaired, I had to handle the discs again and it was cumbersome to say the least!

My DAC-60 has a simple coupling cap mod suggested by Danny of GR Research. The caps are Sonicaps. It also has early 1960's Amperex Bugle Boy tubes. I have several carefully transferred LP albums and they sound virtually identical digitized and streamed via the SB3 + DAC60!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
JA on the Squeezebox
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2006, 05:07 pm »
Quote from: Loftprojection
I think good CDP as transport seem to still have a slight edge over computer setups.

Try a Squeezebox with one of Wayne's (Bolder Cable) upgraded power supplies and see if you still think that way...I know that in my system I haven't heard better than Wayne's best PS + SB2.

George

Charles Calkins

JA on the Squeezebox
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2006, 06:01 pm »
Gordy:
 My DAC-60 has the Sonic Craft mods. I did replace the tubes with a pair of Amperex JAN-6922 tubes. Can't remember who told me about them. Some fellow audiocircle member. Damn tubes cost $200. each. "Buy high, sell low or give it away"

Cheers
                              Charlie