Universal Remote Recommendations

john1970

« on: 3 Jun 2006, 01:56 am »
To all,

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread about universal remotes.  With the ever expanding equipment rack I was up to six separate remotes...    

I managed to pickup a Logitech Harmony 550 remote today.  I must say that it has met most of my expectations.  

What I liked:

1) Easy to setup with internet connection

2) Controls all six audio/video devices along with the climate control system (nice feature).  A true universal remote

3) Fits easily into a person's hand.  Glad Logitech is moving away from the curved remotes to a normal remote

What I disliked (i.e., could use some improvements)

1) Some of the features listed on the LCD menu are not supported by the equipment.  For example, when setting device to TV a button is given the name PIP.  However the TV does not have PIP.  

2) Have as an option a rechargeable station (similar to 880).  I will be purchasing 4 AAA NiMH batteries so I don't go thru batteries.  

3) Software used to program had some bugs, but none prevented me from fully programming the remote.

Overall I would give it 8 out of 10 stars.  For $150 list it is a very good to excellent universal remote.  

Cheers,

John

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2006, 08:25 am »
I have the 659 Harmony.  It ain't perfect, but neither is my wallet.  My next choice would have sailed me well past $250.  These are going for about $80, now.  For the money I spent, a tad over $100.  It was a no-brainer, now you just gotta be kidding me!!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2006, 04:10 pm »
Remotecentral.com

That's all they do. Well actually there is one other cool thing they've got, there is a forum that people post the "cool scenes" in movies. It's a good referance for which movie (and WHERE on the disc) is an exceptional dolby track, or surround effect, or a subsonic LFE sequence.
Pretty cool.

Bob

ss397

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2006, 05:57 pm »
i have the harmony 880. i programmed it in about 20 minutes and it controls the whole ht set up. my wife loves it. controls all the gear including most functions of the cable box( guide, info, etc.). i thought it was a good investment of $150.00. even guests can watch movies, tv, or listen to music with ease.

jermmd

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2006, 06:43 pm »
Check THIS out! Harmony 880 for $110. It's usually $250.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2006, 11:55 pm »
How's Crestron? Ultra high end only?

samplesj

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2006, 01:33 am »
I'll throw in a mention of Universal Remote Control.  Their Home Theater Master series can be programmed via computer with a drag and drop tool and import capability.  They also have RF models so no more line of sight worries.  I have an RF computer learnable 850 in the HT room and a non computer programmable IR unit for the den

They have a best of both worlds feature.  You get an LCD with hard buttons to the sides.  The LCD lets you give the buttons your own name, but the hard buttons can easily be felt in the dark vs the old style LCD where you had to turn on the backlight to tell what you were pressing.

One of the real "tricks" to programming these remotes is to step away from viewing it as replacement remote.  You don't just make a screen for each remote in your system.  You can make the top level menu be "activities".  Now more having to explain what to turn on in what order, just string them together into a macro behind one of the LCD hard buttons with the name of that activity.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2006, 12:04 am »
http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/

What's the deal on this one?

ton1313

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2006, 12:08 am »
A friend of mine just had his theater professionally installed, with a Harmony 890 remote. He had problems with the remote losing the ability to communicate with the receiving unit. The installer replaced the remote, and the problems continued. He has since returned it, and is using the OEM remotes that came with his gear.

jermmd

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2006, 12:29 am »
Quote from: Q-BanditZ

I have an MX500 and I really like it. It's definitely full featured, relatively easy to program and comfortable. It's only weakness is it has a pretty short battery life.

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2006, 01:21 am »
Quote from: jermmd
Quote from: Q-BanditZ

I have an MX500 and I really like it. It's definitely full featured, relatively easy to program and comfortable. It's only weakness is it has a pretty short battery life.

Best remote bargain on the planet.  Better than the Harmonies, IMO, except that you can't connect it to the internet, but that's really not a big deal when you can program it in the basics in 10 minutes and a full, button for button custom job in an hour (if you're meticulous).  

But what's with the short battery life?  Most of my customers get a year or more from the batteries!   I am a power user with the DVR skip buttons and I get 6 months from mine.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2006, 01:49 am »
Quote from: John Ashman
Best remote bargain on the planet.  Better than the Harmonies, IMO, except that you can't connect it to the internet, but that's really not a big deal when you can program it in the basics in 10 minutes and a full, button for button custom job in an hour (if you're meticulous).  

But what's with the short battery life?  Most of my customers get a year or more from the batteries!   I am a power user with the DVR skip buttons and I get 6 months from mine.

Do they have a higher end model to that remote that has those features?

samplesj

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2006, 02:05 am »
The MX500 you pointed out last page is actually the cheaper IR non computer based Home Theater Master remote in Universal Remote Controls product line.

Yes and no.  Yes they have higher end models that can be programmed by computer and you can download commands that way, but no they aren't exactly like a harmony where you just say what you have.  Its more work, but I think you have more control.

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2006, 02:46 am »
I think the MX950 is the best unit in their lineup over all and the MX500/600 are the best values, even without the internet connection (something I find HIGHLY overrated after owning these).  I own an MX600 (radio frequency)and wouldn't give it up for anything.

bubba966

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2006, 04:56 am »
I've got an MX650 w/RF capabilities (or maybe it's an MX600. The manual says it's a 650, but the back of the remote says it's a 600 :scratch: ) that's been sitting around here doing nothing.

I got it in a trade and haven't used it yet. Might not use it as I don't need it for my main setup, and it's waaay too much remote for the setup in the living room.

It's brand new as far as I know & can tell. Not sure what exactly I'd use the RF capabilities for as IR is plenty good for me. If someone here wants it I'd give 'em a good deal on it...

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2006, 08:47 pm »
Quote from: bubba966

It's brand new as far as I know & can tell. Not sure what exactly I'd use the RF capabilities for as IR is plenty good for me. If someone here wants it I'd give 'em a good deal on it...

PM me and let me know what your deal is. I'm just kind of starting to sniff this out and that's a nice remote to consider...

jermmd

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2006, 10:38 pm »
Quote from: John Ashman

I use the remote at night usually and use the light a lot. Maybe that uses up battery excessively? I don't get 6 months out of it.

Bizarroterl

Re: Universal Remote Recommendations
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jul 2006, 07:04 pm »
ProntoPro NG TSU7000
Weaknesses - Expensive, you have to program it.
Strengths - Sexy, extremely flexible, can be programmed to do just about anything, oh- and did I say sexy?   :thumb:

rblnr

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jul 2006, 04:00 pm »
I have an MX500, it's better than any other remote I've used and I've owned a few.  Decide whether or not you're a fan of hard buttons as I am. 

Got a Harmony 880 thinking my wife might like it, but can't get it to work w/my components.  The internet setup doesn't work for my setup.

welwynnick

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jul 2006, 12:28 pm »
I've used lots of different universal remotes, and now have an MX-650.  It's utterly brilliant: powerful, flexible, light, easy to programme and use.  It's difficult to see how it could be improved as long as your not sold on the Harmoney concept, which i don't think is flexible enough.  The MX-500 may be the best value in the range, though.

nick