Just bought a PAS (My first Tube unit)

NJBOB

« on: 1 Jun 2006, 03:56 pm »
I wanted a Tube pre for my Odessey Mono amps and Magnepan speakers.
The Clean Dynaco PAS 3 was purchased for $107 and now I want to replace my BK preamp with tubes.

I'm looking at Franks PAS 3 kit and want some feedback. Will it work with a 10K input SS amp?

Will the cost 400 + my purhcase of 107 be worth it.

I can get some pretty good used preamps for $500 CJ, AR, Rogue, minmax bottle head, Grounded grid.

I already bought this and like messing around (Its the Impeadence issue that became the problem. I just wanted to play with tubes cheap) but the stock dynaco's 750K output wont work with my amp.

Thanks for reading my post, looking forward to your opinions

Russellcc

Re: Just bought a PAS (My first Tube unit)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2006, 03:43 am »
Quote from: NJBOB
I wanted a Tube pre for my Odessey Mono amps and Magnepan speakers.
The Clean Dynaco PAS 3 was purchased for $107 and now I want to replace my BK preamp with tubes.

I'm looking at Franks PAS 3 kit and want some feedback. Will it work with a 10K input SS amp?

Will the cost 400 + my purhcase of 107 be worth it.

I can get some pretty good used preamps for $500 CJ, AR, Rogue, minmax bottle head, Grounded grid.

I already bought this and like messing around (Its the Impeadence issue that became the ...

You will have to ask frank about its ability to drive 10k.  Back when I had a solid state amps I tried it with several, B&K st 140, SAE 31b, superphon 80b mono blocks, and it worked fine.  I no longr remember the input impedances of those amps, seems like the B&K was 25K?  It has been awhile.  But in terms of the Super Pas III kit, it is a winner.  I still own 2 of them, and anytime the current "expensive" preamp breaks down, out comes the Super Pas III!  Never fails, just keeps on ticking.  Plus, you get a really decent phono section as well.  bottlehead is well regarded, but is kind of funky looking.  The grounded grid is interesting to me, around 500, but like the bottlehead, the phono is another layout.  The Super Pass III is very nice, a compact package, SUPER reliable, and has a phono.  If you already have a pas, its a no brainer just to have around, and a very nice lesson in kit assembly.  The instructions are beyond excellent,  If you can solder and ID parts, it is a snap.

Russellc

Russellcc

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2006, 03:48 am »
By the way, it is extremely pleasant sounding as well.  In terms of cost, you would have 507 and your time, it is WELL worth that.  When I assembled mine in the mid 90s, a totally assembled one done by frank was over 600 back then.  Of the two I have, both work excellent, one I just installed the boards, and utilized Franks excellent instructions for using the existing RCAs and selector switch.  The other I opted for the replacement selector and the ground plain board with new RCAs.  Hope this helps.

Russellc

daveshel

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2006, 12:47 am »
I am quite pleased with my Super PAS 3. And if I recall correctly, it will work with a wide impedance range.