AV123 Focus LS6 v. GR LS6

wshuff

« on: 1 Jun 2006, 03:04 pm »
Danny,

Will the AV123 finished models of your LS speakers be using the same x-over parts used in your kits (I'm assuming Goertz inductors, Sonicaps, and Mills resistors)?

Also, did you have to pad down either of the new models in order to level match the two driver sections?

Just curious while I wait to get a pair into my new house.  I may start taking bets on which is finished first, the speakers or the house.

MarkR7

« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2006, 07:10 pm »
And to add another question.....

What will be done to ensure that all the drivers in both arrays are matched and running the same phase?

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2006, 07:15 pm »
Quote from: MarkR7

What will be done to ensure that all the drivers in both arrays are matched and running the same phase?

Having the phase matching in drivers is something that must be done with any speaker, so every speaker builder already deals with that in their processes.

MarkR7

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2006, 07:37 pm »
That's true BradJudy...I am just concerned with the amount of drivers, will there be QC in place to make sure that they are all correct.

What about the matching of drivers?  Are there any parameters in each driver that can vary from driver to driver where matching will benefit the speaker system as a whole??

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2006, 10:38 pm »
Will the AV123 finished models of your LS speakers be using the same x-over parts used in your kits (I'm assuming Goertz inductors, Sonicaps, and Mills resistors)?

Foil inductors from Alpha Core (Goertz) is not happening, but not a significant performance drop either. High quality non-inductive resistors will be used but not Mills. I will however insist on the use of Sonicaps and Sonicap by-pass caps in te circuit where necessary.  

Also, did you have to pad down either of the new models in order to level match the two driver sections?

Right now I am still waiting on drivers to get here for that stage of testing. However, there will be no resistors in line with the drivers. They will match in sensitivity.

That's true BradJudy...I am just concerned with the amount of drivers, will there be QC in place to make sure that they are all correct.

Actually the series parallel grouping of drivers is easier to wire than you think. All is color coded too.

What about the matching of drivers? Are there any parameters in each driver that can vary from driver to driver where matching will benefit the speaker system as a whole??

For one, consistency with this type of drivers has been vary consistent in the past. I don't see consistency as an issue. Plus this type of speaker is less sensitive to driver matching than any other. What you wind up with is an average of all the drivers.