Exodus RFI/DC Filter- implentation??

fajimr

« on: 31 May 2006, 05:25 pm »
Hi kevin et al.

I am wondering how people are using the Exodus RFI/DC Filter board that you have on your site??  Is it soley for use as part of an amp or component set-up or could it be used as an external power conditioning set-up?

I was thinking of incorporating it into one of the create your own RG power station choke applications (i.e. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=10310).  Anyone have any experience doing something like this...

FYI- I am pretty new at this stuff, having just completed my first DIY amp (and AKSA)- I am slowly beginning to understand the technical stuff... did I mention slowly.... :banghead:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2006, 06:11 pm »
It is just a simple inductor capacitor network and it can be used either on individual components or as a RFI filter for a power strip.   It just goes in series with the AC mains.    The DC filter is an option.... you can either populate it or not.   It is really only useful when your using a toroid and you have mechanical humming that is being caused by DC on the AC line.

fajimr

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2006, 06:27 pm »
thanks kevin- that is useful

MarkM

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2006, 07:13 pm »
Quote from: Kevin Haskins
 It is really only useful when your using a toroid and you have mechanical humming that is being caused by DC on the AC line.

I installed one of Kevins filters in my amp about a month or so ago.  Very easy to install, good instructions.  (Fortunate I had room in the chassis) I have .2-.65 vdc on my ac line.  Toroid is now dead quiet. :D

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2006, 07:57 pm »
Quote from: MarkM
Quote from: Kevin Haskins
 It is really only useful when your using a toroid and you have mechanical humming that is being caused by DC on the AC line.

I installed one of Kevins filters in my amp about a month or so ago.  Very easy to install, good instructions.  (Fortunate I had room in the chassis) I have .2-.65 vdc on my ac line.  Toroid is now dead quiet. :D

It doesn't take much to cause problems.