GK-1 Still Under Construction - Volume Control Question

mhr

Hi Hugh,

Hope you are well.  Long time since we last spoke.

I almost completed my GK-1 but a move interrupted progress.  Now ready to reconvene where I left off.

My question - would implementing one of the TVCs on the GK-1 be beneficial?  My thinking is that since the volume control is in between the SS and tube sections this might work out well.

Any thoughts?

mhr
Formerly Dallas, TX
Now Syracuse, NY

AKSA

• http://www.aksaonline.com
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2006, 09:27 am »
Hi Mark!

Nice to hear from you, Syracuse, huh?  That's from the bottom to the top of the country - must be a VERY good reason!

Yes, a different sort of volume control for the GK1 is fine and will work well.  However, potentiometers really have problems when not mounted in the ideal environment;  zero source impedance, infinite target impedance.  In the GK1, this environment is approached, so the benefits, though possibly audible, will be small.

How's the piano coming along?  You must be up to Franz Liszt by now!

Cheers,

Hugh

mhr

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2006, 12:06 am »
Hi Hugh,

It's good to correspond again.

After five years of unemployment,  a new job finally came through.  It has kept me very busy for the last year.  

The old audio bug never withers and I am anxious to get the GK-1 finished.

Might you remind me of the design specs for the SS section output impedance and the tube input impedance.  These are nice numbers to have when setting up the TVCs.

On the piano, steady improvement but no Liszt.

Take care,

mhr