Pink Floyd - DSOTM on SACD?

JoshK

« on: 3 Jan 2003, 04:07 pm »
Got an email from AudioRevolution.com (horrible source!) this morning about this.  Of course they also said it was going to be released on DVD-A  :?

Anyone know if this has been confirmed by any reliable source?  That would be stellar!!!!

U4EA

« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2003, 06:42 pm »
I have heard rumors of this release on Steve Hoffman's site.  It would be great if done right.  If they start moving stuff all over the place though it could ruin it.  I was not really impressed with the DTS release.  But that is just me.......

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2003, 06:59 pm »
Well the benefit (imo) of releasing it on SACD is that in addition to maybe a MC layer there is always a hi-rez 2 channel layer that I am mostly interested in.

bob82274

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2003, 10:58 pm »
I will say that often times on my MC music i will turn it over to stereo.  The only one that I don't is for Kind Of Blue as that was done well.  Pink Floyd though could be intresting.  I like DSOTM but my favorite was Wish You Were Here.  Ya just don't get those 9 min intros any more  :(

U4EA

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2003, 11:08 pm »
I also heard a rumor...I think this was on Hoffman's site too, that Alan Parsons will not be involved.  THis I think is a real shame. :nono:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2003, 03:29 am »
OH-MY-GOD!  YESSS!  I hope it's true, either format, hell, both!  It would be a shame if Parsons isn't involved, and I hope they don't butcher it.  I'd really love "Wish You Were Here", too, it's one of my favorites.

I'd love to hear a multichannel mix, but a lot of folks that know me would be surprised to know that I'm more interested in a HiRez stereo version.  I love MC, but if the original artists aren't involved, then any changes can only be construed as tampering.  I've heard some good post facto mixes, notably "Foreigner 4", which sounds better ( :!: ) than the original, but mostly I don't approve of stuff being redone w/o the artists.  (If I recall from the liner notes, the original team worked on the MC version of 4).

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2003, 03:50 am »
I heard it was DVD-A and around March of 03.  This is the main reason I am considering a universal palyer.  If DSOTM comes out then I'm sure the others will follow.  This is one catalogue I would buy all over (for the third time).  I wish they would start with any title other than DSOTM.

I'd like to see Alan Parsons Project stuff too.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2003, 06:38 am »
I'm on my fourth copy of DSotM...damn thing has a way of "walking away", been stolen repeatedly in my younger, house party days.

U4EA

PeteG

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2003, 04:48 am »
Great News!
It's a shame about Parsons, it would be nice to have
the original quadraphonic version from him.

PeteG

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2003, 07:17 am »
It's official, DSOTM on SACD. Release date is March 3.
Also coming out on SACD is Police, Peter Gabriel & Bob Dylan.

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2003, 01:38 am »
Ok, who knows which pressing was bad. Is it the one with the outline on the sticker on the cover, or the one without it?

I read which was which at some point but forgot which was bad, and also forgot where I read it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2003, 05:19 am »
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?gmusi&1057367855&read&keyw&zzpink+floyd+sacd ...You have to make sure its pressed in Japan.Its on the back of jewel case.I've forgotten which sticker - just buy made in Japan-- NOT USA. :)

bubba966

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2003, 05:53 am »
After a bit of diggin I found the answer.

The label with the blue is the bad one. And apparently the label w/out the blue could possibly be bad as well. You have to check the pressings. Apparently the Japanese & European pressings are fine. The US pressings also apparently have a US at the end of the catalog number like the one on the right in the photo below.