What Cables do you like for your Odyssey gear?

Larkston Zinaspic

« on: 30 May 2006, 05:36 pm »
I'm just curious to see what everyone is using or what the preferences are. Is anyone using balanced XLR interconnects? I was going to go that route between my line stage and my Dual Mono, but someone here said that the XLR input is not "truly" balanced. Can anyone verify this?

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2006, 05:39 pm »
For the basic Stratos, I like the Groneberg.

For the amps above that level, I like Greg Straley's Reality cables for both speaker and IC's.

mikey300

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2006, 05:57 pm »
Correct while the Stratos has XLR inputs, it isn't a balanced amp per se.  The two inputs - XLR and RCAs internally are wired together.  While the Stratos isn't a balanced amp, I don't believe that you will notice any system degradation by utilizing the Stratos XLR inputs.

I am definitely NO expert on the subject but from what I have read on various audio forums, the "supposed" benefits of balanced inputs are of questionable value anyway. I believe there are noticable benefits when using ICs of considerable length but it is typically best to keep ICs short anyway.  Also I believe there are no standards on how the balanced inputs are wired so it can be problematic to get stuff wired together correctly.   Did I already mention that I am not an expert on this subject :-) Therefore, I would recommend that you research this topic if you clarification on this subject.  

Hope this helps

There are a post or two on the Odyssey AC forum where Klaus himself weighs in on the balanced amp question.  A quick search on audiocircle / Odyssey forum should help answer your questions.

Soundbitten

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2006, 06:48 pm »
MITs

Boogaloo

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2006, 08:28 pm »
Groneberg Premium

bunky

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2006, 10:21 pm »
I use Groneberg TS Premium for the ic and speaker cables. at my request Klaus also wired my "special order" mono extreme SEs internaly with the TS premium Cable. its really an Outstanding cable. thanks....WCW III

lazydays

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2006, 05:13 pm »
Quote from: bunky
I use Groneberg TS Premium for the ic and speaker cables. at my request Klaus also wired my "special order" mono extreme SEs internaly with the TS premium Cable. its really an Outstanding cable. thanks....WCW III

well at the moment I'm kinda hung up on Cardas speaker cables, as in my tube systems they are just slick sounding. But for interconnects I like Synergistics better than most anything I've ever used. For digital stuff I've grown fond of ZU cables, and their tone arm cable as well. I do have a pair of Gronenburg speaker cables that Klaus is going to seriously shorten, and make a pair of interconnects for that new preamp when it arrives. I'll probably go with WBT spades in a bi-wire set up, and the best RCA connetors we can lay our hands on for the ICs.
Nothing like a new adventure!!
gary

mtodde

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2006, 05:09 am »
Zu Gede

BobC

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2006, 01:12 pm »
Is it true that you shouldn't mix Groneberg Quatro and Groneberg TS premium?  I read somewhere that you should use either / or but not both in the same system.  This leads me to the question...does this mean that if I want to use the Premiums then I need to upgrade the internal wiring in the Stratos?

Back to the original question....I currently use Straightwire cables with acceptable results.  Will likely upgrade in the future.  To what?  Well the above question will have some influence.

Thanks!

Anton

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2006, 10:34 pm »
Hi. Although I started with Groneberg TS-Premium, and then XLO Signature, I have switched to JPS Superconductor 2 NC as interconnects, digital, speaker cable and power cords. There is an excellent sinergy between the Stratos and the JPS cables. The JPS are expensive but worth the money.

Happy listening!

djbnh

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2006, 11:15 pm »
Quote from: BobC
Is it true that you shouldn't mix Groneberg Quatro and Groneberg TS premium?  I read somewhere that you should use either / or but not both in the same system.  This leads me to the question...does this mean that if I want to use the Premiums then I need to upgrade the internal wiring in the Stratos?
I haven't had a problem - I use the TS premium between Ex. Monos and Tempest, and Quattros between cdp and Tempest.

BikeWNC

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2006, 11:56 pm »
I'm using VH Audio Pulsars (nextgen version) from cdp to pre (SL Die Erleuchtung) same ICs from pre to Extreme Monos and then Zu Cable Ibis from amps to speakers (GR Research Diluceos).

Andy