X-Men 3: The Last Stand

PhilNYC

« on: 30 May 2006, 02:57 pm »
Saw this last night.  Certainly it was entertaining, and the special effects were spectacular.  As a long-time X-Men fan, I'm not crazy about some of the liberties they took with the story, and the setup for a next film will be pretty hard to explain, but if you ignore that, it's pretty good.  Certainly the most "super hero-oriented action" of the 3 films.  I particularly liked the battle between Juggernaught and Kitty Pride...and thought the battle between Ice Man and Pyro was lame.

Worth seeing.... :thumb:

ps. if you're really into it, there's a 20 second scene that takes place after all of the final credits, so stick around... :D

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2006, 03:08 pm »
I'll have to check this out.  Unless a comic book movie is truly terrible, I will usually go see them.

BobC

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2006, 04:05 pm »
I saw it too, and agree with your assessment.  Was particularly disappointed with their explaination of the Phoenix.  As I remember the Phoenix was some kind of cosmic being the possess Jean Grey, correct?  Not an alternate personality, correct?

Also, think they made Wolverine into a sniffling cry baby.

Juggernaut was cool.

Effects were awsome.

Prison scene with Rebecca Romijn was worth the price of admission alone!  :o

gitarretyp

Re: X-Men 3: The Last Stand
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2006, 04:53 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Saw this last night.  Certainly it was entertaining, and the special effects were spectacular.  As a long-time X-Men fan, I'm not crazy about some of the liberties they took with the story, and the setup for a next film will be pretty hard to explain, but if you ignore that, it's pretty good.  Certainly the most "super hero-oriented action" of the 3 films.  I particularly liked the battle between Juggernaught and Kitty Pride...and thought the battle between Ice Man and Pyro was lame.

Worth seeing.... :th ...

I also thought it was enjoyable and agree that they took a lot of liberties with the characters. As for the setup for another film, it's my understanding that this is the last "x-men" movie of this set they intend to make (hard to imagine with the amount of money these bring in). Spin-offs are already in the works for wolverine and magneto/professor x, however.

gitarretyp

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2006, 04:56 pm »
Quote from: BobC
I saw it too, and agree with your assessment.  Was particularly disappointed with their explaination of the Phoenix.  As I remember the Phoenix was some kind of cosmic being the possess Jean Grey, correct?  Not an alternate personality, correct?

Also, think they made Wolverine into a sniffling cry baby.

Juggernaut was cool.

Effects were awsome.

Prison scene with Rebecca Romijn was worth the price of admission alone!  :o

The phoenix is a cosmic being in the books but is also part of jean.

****possible spoiler ahead****
I was overall happy with juggernaut but was hoping for a colossus juggernaut battle.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2006, 05:56 pm »
I am just going to come out and say it.... I pretty much have a man crush on Vinnie Jones so I loved the Juggernaut.

I loved his lines. It was also awsome when he rushed the building and people tried to stop him.

The "Battle" with the girl.... His line is good, but you have to watch this to understand why he said it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3934651591022114445&q=juggernaut

BobC

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2006, 06:39 pm »
Got a kick out of the Juggernaut.  So who is Vinnie Jones?  What else was he in / known for?

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2006, 06:52 pm »
Quote from: BobC
Got a kick out of the Juggernaut.

I thought the bowling pin noises when he ran through people were particularly humorous... :lol:

Persiflage

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2006, 08:29 pm »
Regarding the Juggernaut:

### Spoilers ####

I honestly thought that when he got near the kid and subsequently lost his powers, that his neck would be snapped by the weight of his huge metal helmet.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2006, 01:19 am »
Quote from: Persiflage
Regarding the Juggernaut:

### Spoilers ####

I honestly thought that when he got near the kid and subsequently lost his powers, that his neck would be snapped by the weight of his huge metal helmet.

The funny part is he is not actually a mutant....

Vinnie Jones plays Big Chris in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Bullet Tooth Tony in Snatch. He was in a movie called Mean Machine which is a soccer remake of The Longest Yard. I prefer that version of The Longest Yard. He has been in multiple movies like Gone in 60 Seconds (big silent dude), Eurotrip (leader of soccer fan Brit people), Swordfish (bad guy), and quiet a few others!

Oh yeah he also played professional football (soccer)

BobC

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2006, 01:23 am »
Boy, he must have really hit the gym hard for X-Men!   :weights:

I'm sure there were no special effects involved :wink:

mcrespo71

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2006, 04:04 am »
I just saw it tonight.  Very, very entertaining.  The final fight was pretty great and I agree with Phil that the Kitty/Juggernaut fight was excellent.

Michael

LordCloud

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2006, 03:57 pm »
Saw it last night. I have to say I was pretty disssapointed in the the way the movie diverged so much from the comic books. It was as bad as Queen of the Damned in my opinion. Main characters dying? Jean actually being the Phoenix, it was all just a little too much for this former comic book collector to handle. As a movie, aside from the comic book connection, I didn't think it was all that great either. Characters were unintersting, the story didn't move me, dialogue wasn't that great, and I didn't think the special effects were what they should have been. No Phoenix Flare?! I loved the second movie even though it too divered greatly from the comic book but I just couldn't get behind this one.

gprro

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2006, 06:30 am »
I agree with Lordcloud. It kinda sucked. But, welcome to Hollywood. I had the interesting experience of watching it at the Fox studio theater, and listen to the co-writers talk about it after the movie. Basicly the studio's main goal was to release before Superman at all costs. Initial directer was fired, and for a while multiple writers were hired. Ever wonder why some movies seem really disjointed? Sometimes 10 writers are hired to write dif. versions, then someone comes in and cuts and pastes a final version.

With the final version two initial writers were hired and given around a few weeks to finish a script, but they decided to end up writing togther to prevent one of them getting fired. It's amazing a decent movie can get done when you have dif. actors with tight schedules that dictate the story or filming sometimes. Cyclops was killed off because he had to start filming on superman. They said they didn't know about a sequel, but I'd bet on it.

Edit: As a movie it sucked, because Brett Ratner's a douchebag typical of Hollywood.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2006, 06:33 am by gprro »

gitarretyp

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2006, 07:19 am »
I agree with Lordcloud. It kinda sucked. But, welcome to Hollywood. I had the interesting experience of watching it at the Fox studio theater, and listen to the co-writers talk about it after the movie. Basicly the studio's main goal was to release before Superman at all costs. Initial directer was fired, and for a while multiple writers were hired. Ever wonder why some movies seem really disjointed? Sometimes 10 writers are hired to write dif. versions, then someone comes in and cuts and pastes a final version.

With the final version two initial writers were hired and given around a few weeks to finish a script, but they decided to end up writing togther to prevent one of them getting fired. It's amazing a decent movie can get done when you have dif. actors with tight schedules that dictate the story or filming sometimes. Cyclops was killed off because he had to start filming on superman. They said they didn't know about a sequel, but I'd bet on it.

Edit: As a movie it sucked, because Brett Ratner's a douchebag typical of Hollywood.

The original director, bryan singer, left to do superman willingly. As i've heard, this x-men series was meant to be a trilogy. I know spin-offs are in the works for wolverine and magneto/professor x. As for people dying, it's no biggie if they play the phoenix character as they did in the comics (besides, i was never a cyclops fan anyway).

Ears

« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2006, 01:10 pm »
Loved the first two, bought them on dvd, d-vhs, and will definitely buy them on Blu-ray....but this third movie is a turd IMO...not to mention  it has a really grainy looking PQ. :scratch:

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 9 Oct 2006, 12:47 am »
I just saw it the other night....I enjoyed the first one, liked the second one a little better, but was really disappointed with x3. I felt like they were trying to use special effects and cgi to cover up for a lack of plot. I love the superhero genre, but I found this film really lacking.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 9 Oct 2006, 07:16 am »
I find some of these comments puzzling.  I too have many crates of comic books in baggies w/acid free backing boards.  Sure, there is some divergence, to be sure.  But don't you guys understand how movies work?  In one sense, why on earth would anyone want to see all the exact same stories retold verbatim in a different format?  I myself would feel ripped off if all they did was translate a certain book to film with no creativity.  Especially since the original films didn't try to recreate a given storyline.

Jean was the Phoenix!  Okay, how far it went depends upon which Marvel source you use.  Marvel has gotten to be worse than daytime soaps as far as retconning goes.  I will say it was foolish to kill off so many main characters, even if you don't intend to do more sequels.  Still, a Wolvie/Weapon X movie seems like a can't miss.

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 9 Oct 2006, 08:47 am »
rob, you're just still cranky over the beat down that my Bills gave your Vikes last week  :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 9 Oct 2006, 08:55 am »
rob, you're just still cranky over the beat down that my Bills gave your Vikes last week  :thumb:

Naw.  The Mighty Vikes won today, and your Bills will be a week pulling the broken beer bottle out of their asses. :lol:  My God, they got beat by something like 40 points today, didn't they? :o  What a ghetto beating!