Which DAC do you use?

warnerwh

Which DAC do you use?
« on: 30 May 2006, 06:11 am »
I ask this here as with Vmps speakers being so transparent I figure I can get a more accurate idea of what to get.

I'm presently using a Bel Canto DAC 1.1. It's very good but I think for little more money I could make a significant improvement. I want to keep this under 1k new or used.

The two dacs I'm considering are the Channel Island VDA 2 and the Benchmark DAC 1. Not much user feedback yet on the CIA dac but I talked to Dusty about it last December and it may be a great dac for a great price.  The Benchmark has alot of good user reviews as well as pro reviews.

Please let me know what else you've used too please.  Thanks

arthurs

Which DAC do you use?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2006, 01:32 pm »
Take a look at the modded DAC60 from Danny over at GR Research.  Throw in some NOS tubes and it's pretty darn good, and under your price point.  A search here should turn up several threads about it.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Which DAC do you use?
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2006, 02:29 pm »
Warner,

I would give Benchmark a serious consideration.  I recently got my Northstar 192 DAC back from Steve Nugent at Empirical.  I had the DAC modded as well as getting fitted for I2S connection.  What used to be marginally better than my Squeezebox analog out clearly beats it now after the mod.  And this is just connected to Squeezebox via SPDIF connection.  You may ask what  this has to do with Benchmark.  This is why -- Steve claims that Benchmark sounds better than Northstar due to the DAC unit used.  If Benchmark is better that what I hear on my DAC, it has to be exceptional.  Getting a used unit and having it modded (EA or others) could be a rewarding experience.

meilankev

Which DAC do you use?
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2006, 02:34 pm »
Warner,

I've only tried two DACs in my system (extended auditions), but neither worked out.  I actually somewhat liked some of the things that a Scott Nixon tubed DAC did for my system, but it was inpractical for me to use.  I also tried the Benchmark DAC-1, but it provided no benefit at all.  So, I remain DAC-less.

Kevin

denjo

Which DAC do you use?
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2006, 02:49 pm »
Auditioned Benchmark and CIAudio's VDA-2 but chose battery powered Altmann Attraction DAC!

Levi

Which DAC do you use?
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2006, 03:04 pm »
Reimyo K2 DAC should be pretty awesome.  It is probably as close to getting an XRCD sonics from regular CDs.  This is if you like XRCDs.

Levi

Which DAC do you use?
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2006, 03:22 pm »
Your next choice may be the Audio Logic's 24 MXL DAC.

G.Michael

Which DAC do you use?
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2006, 04:47 pm »
I started with a Scott Nixon Tube DAC with a few Black Gates, but mostly stock.  I wasn't real impressed with the sound, so I had a friend of mine modify it... larger chassis; toroidal transformer on-board power supply; cap upgrades all around (including several Black Gates and Nichicon, most of larger than original value), and large-value foil & film coupling caps.  Also, a good 75-Ohm input connector.  Tube is an Amperex 7308.  Much better with the mods, as good as anything I've heard.  It leads me to consider that there are many good DACs around, but that most might benefit a lot with some very component upgrades.  (Note, however, that the Nixon Tube DAC contains no surface mount devices, so upgrades are relatively simple.)

Soundbitten

Which DAC do you use?
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2006, 06:53 pm »
Scott  Nixon Tube Dac . This was my first dac and was duly impressed  . However I haven't tried anything else to compare it with .

mikey300

Which DAC do you use?
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2006, 07:07 pm »
LavryBlack DA10 - from Lavry Engineering is worthy of consideration IMHO.  The DA10 price is ~$950 and seems to be an excellent performer in its stock form.  audioasylum.com has a number of reviews / comparisons on the DA10.  

The company website is:  http://lavryengineering.com/

There are a lot of good stand alone DACs out there under $1,000.  As usual for all audio components, there are widely varying opinions, so it would be best to try to audition a few for synergy with the rest of your system components if they offer 30 day return policies.  Good luck with your search :-)

tanchiro58

Good DAC
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2006, 09:38 pm »
I have used Metronome Signature, Assemblage 3.0, Ack DAC 1.2 and now Conrad Johnson DA1. I like the most the Metronome (2x7308 tubes) and CJ DA1 (SS bit stream), which are very musical and more gain. But it depends on your transport especially modded one like Sony DVP-S9000ES modded with the superclock 3 and power supply for the transport. It makes a lot of differences and I can compare them to one box or combination in the price range of $2000 to $3000. I will try again to mod the power supply of the CJ DA1 and let see if it worth for the money.   :P