invitation

Lensman

invitation
« on: 27 May 2006, 04:49 pm »
For all of the NC Audiophiles...
If anybody is interested in listening to some Fostex-based single-driver speakers driven by a heavily modded tube amp....

Come on over!

I'm getting  to the point with this system that it's pretty much tweaked out.  I'd like to add an outboard DAC, but that's gonna have to wait.  The speakers are home-designed mass-loaded transmission line enclosures with Fostex FE167e drivers.  The amp is a low-cost Cayin that's been very heavily modded: Line stage removed (now passive input), new capacitors, new bridge rectifier built from IXYS discrete diodes, NFB removed, EL34 tubes wired in triode , etc, etc.
Did I mention the Peter Belt Green Morphic Creme and Sol-Electret??
I live in Cary and would be happy to host anyone who is interested.

Lensman

BrunoB

Re: invitation
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2006, 03:07 pm »
Quote from: Lensman
For all of the NC Audiophiles...
If anybody is interested in listening to some Fostex-based single-driver speakers driven by a heavily modded tube amp....

Come on over!

I'm getting  to the point with this system that it's pretty much tweaked out.  I'd like to add an outboard DAC, but that's gonna have to wait.  The speakers are home-designed mass-loaded transmission line enclosures with Fostex FE167e drivers.  The amp is a low-cost Cayin that's been very heavily modded: Line stage removed (now passiv ...

Hi Rob,

congrats on finalizing your system. I liked your speakers. I would come over for a second listen  if I could.

Bruno

Lensman

invitation
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2006, 09:56 pm »
hey Bruno

Nice to hear from you again. Since you were here, I've continued changing the amp.  I removed the input selector switch and the entire line stage. I recently installed Eichmann binding posts and so forth.  I also heard significant improvement when I installed Goertz speaker cable.  

Do you have your audio system set up there in Germany?  Did you add any new equipment or make any changes?

Lensman

BrunoB

invitation
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2006, 06:21 pm »
Quote from: Lensman

Do you have your audio system set up there in Germany?  Did you add any new equipment or make any changes?

Lensman

I moved to a new appartment and rebuilt a sound coccon. Unfortunately, it does not sound as good as the one I had in Durham. Seems that moving from a wooden house to a brick one was not a good deal. Especially in the bass department. But I am working on it.
So, nothing new, except that I have a measurement system.

Bruno

BrunoB

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2007, 11:57 am »

Rob,

here is , I think, a good suggestion to further improve your speakers:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37020.0

Bruno

Lensman

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2007, 02:10 am »
hey Bruno,

Thanks for the link.
I have some extra AudioCap Theta 0,22 uF caps here. I'll experiment with them.

Hope you're doing well.

Lensman