Musicality of the Stratos

byteme

« on: 30 May 2003, 03:07 pm »
I've got a Stereo Stratos on order from Klaus.  I've been reading some reviews and searching around and such and have a question.

Does it do a good job of conveying emotion? Musicality? I've been searching/reading and some people I've talked to or read have said that the Stratos can be analytical, linear, etc. almost to the point of not being musical... in some words "not tube like".  My goal with putting together our 2 channel setup is that "You are there" experience - is the Stratos the animal for that?

Thanks.

W.C.

« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2003, 05:13 pm »
Does it do a good job of conveying emotion? You better believe it. It really draws you into the music. Very smooth and musical. I've never heard anyone that I would have any confidence in say it sounded analytical. It's musicality is one of it's strong points. Keep in mind it will sound only as good as the rest of the system.

subhuman

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2003, 05:30 pm »
Agree with WC.  Where did you read it sounded analytical?  Most reviews seem to say its neutral leaning perhaps slightly to the warm side.  I'd have to agree.  The music flows effortlessly w/ Stratos, never forced or etched.  The soundstage is much bigger than I'm used to, and the high frequencies are just smooth.  Adding Tempest enhances both effects further.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2003, 05:58 pm »
Hello,even IAR review or another one states that Odyssey brings in certain ways the best of tubes and solid state...

Beyond that, musicality is what best describes for me how Odyssey performs...

The slogan says it all...

byteme

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2003, 06:22 pm »
OK!  Thanks!  I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers here!   :mrgreen:

I think part of my curiosity and questioning is simply the wait getting to me.  I ordered on 4/18, but changed the order last Saturday to an Extreme Stereo so it will be a bit longer.  However, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

tswinter

[b]Stratos Xtremes versus Dual Monos' Questions[/b]
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2003, 07:43 pm »
Once the 2nd power supply (two upgraded new ones actually)is added with the Xtreme upgrade to the Stratos, what is the significant electrical circuit architectural difference between the Stratos Xtremes and the Dual Monos?  How do the Stratos Xtremes compare sonically to the Dual Monos?  What is the current cost of the Stratos Extreme upgrade? :?:

byteme

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2003, 07:54 pm »
One last question - to what point does the Stratos operate in Class "A" and does the Extreme upgrade change this at all??

mgalusha

Re: [b]Stratos Xtremes versus Dual Monos' Questions[/b]
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2003, 12:48 am »
Quote from: tswinter
Once the 2nd power supply (two upgraded new ones actually)is added with the Xtreme upgrade to the Stratos, what is the significant electrical circuit architectural difference between the Stratos Xtremes and the Dual Monos?  How do the Stratos Xtremes compare sonically to the Dual Monos?  What is the current cost of the Stratos Extreme upgrade? :?:

tswinter,

I'm not Klaus and can't answer all your questions. Some of these have been answered here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=2646.msg21821#21821&highlight=#21821

Quote from: byteme
One last question - to what point does the Stratos operate in Class "A" and does the Extreme upgrade change this at all??

As far as I know, the Xtreme upgrade does not change the bias point. I have discussed biasing with Klaus and he told me where the amps sound best bias wise. Since all of the Stratos models (including the Xtreme's) use the same PCB, it's very likely he doesn't change the bias settings. That said, the Xtreme mono's run quite a bit warmer at idle than my stereo unit did. Of course it was about 1 1/2 years old when I sent it in for the upgrade. I suspect the bias was off and is now correct.

Mike

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2003, 12:56 am »
:o lovume :o

markC

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2003, 03:53 am »
That said, the Xtreme mono's run quite a bit warmer at idle than my stereo unit did. Of course it was about 1 1/2 years old when I sent it in for the upgrade. I suspect the bias was off and is now correct.

The dual mono also runs hotter than my old stereo version did. I hope, (and believe), it's not a matter of bias setting drifting after just 1 1/2 yrs. of use, but rather the fact that you now have twice as many transistors using the same heat sinks.

tswinter

Again, Stratos Xtreme versus dual Mono Questions
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2003, 05:36 pm »
I appreciate mgalusha's response, however none of the questions were answered in the link.  I may be calling Klaus soon.

"Once the 2nd power supply (two upgraded new ones actually)is added with the Xtreme upgrade to the Stratos, what is the significant electrical circuit architectural difference between the Stratos Xtremes and the Dual Monos? How do the Stratos Xtremes compare sonically to the Dual Monos? What is the current cost of the Stratos Extreme upgrade? " :)

mgalusha

Re: Again, Stratos Xtreme versus dual Mono Questions
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2003, 07:11 pm »
I appreciate mgalusha's response, however none of the questions were answered in the link.  I may be calling Klaus soon.

"Once the 2nd power supply (two upgraded new ones actually)is added with the Xtreme upgrade to the Stratos, what is the significant electrical circuit architectural difference between the Stratos Xtremes and the Dual Monos?

I believe this question was answerd. Both amps use the same circuit board. Both run the same board as the Stereo Stratos but in bridged mode. With the dual mono there are simply two boards in one case, this is not possible with the Xtreme mono's because of the physical space restrictions.

Mike

tswinter

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2003, 08:36 pm »
The answer was not clearly stated.  But with your posts and Pirates photo, concluding that the Stratos Xtreme would differ from the Dual Monos in basic architectural by the Stratos Xteme would have one 2 channel board and the Dual Monos would have two 2 channel boards running bridged.  Of course, they would each have 2 power supplies. What is the net performance difference? Would the Dual Monos still allow for more current draw?

rosconey

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2003, 09:17 pm »
klaus is the best one to ask,spend a buck and talk to him for 20 minutes-lol

Pirate

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2003, 11:01 pm »
The answer was not clearly stated.  But with your posts and Pirates photo, concluding that the Stratos Xtreme would differ from the Dual Monos in basic architectural by the Stratos Xteme would have one 2 channel board and the Dual Monos would have two 2 channel boards running bridged.  Of course, they would each have 2 power supplies. What is the net performance difference? Would the Dual Monos still allow for more current draw?

I agree CALL KLAUS !   After talking to him he said the upgrade is worth it. So I did! He loves to talk about his Stratos and would be more than happy to answer your questions. Believe me from experiance  :lol: He'll be able to give you the answers your looking for and I'm sure you'll be impressed. :thumb: 317-299-5578