Best digital feed

Brucemck

Best digital feed
« on: 26 May 2006, 02:09 pm »
What would you consider the best two channel digital feed, assuming I do all available digital mods?

I'd like to get all my two channel music onto a hard drive lossless, replacing my transport.

Don't want to do D to A before the processor because the processor does all it's work in digital domain before finally passing to its analog output stage (it's a Meridian 861).

Choices would appear to be: modded SB, modded Olive, modded USB to SPDIF converter.  Latter appears to offer more options for "processing" signal on laptop prior to sending to processor's D input.  Former two appear to offer better form factor.  Any difference in digital output sound quality?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Best digital feed
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2006, 02:46 pm »
Where is your PC and/or storage?  Do you need wireless?  What lossless format are you using?  What digital input formats are available besides SPDIF?

Brucemck

Best digital feed
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2006, 03:31 pm »
Don't need wireless, but wouldn't mind it.

Have option to put storage adjacent to processor or upstairs.  Have ethernet cable if put upstairs.

"SPDIF" a placeholder for "coax".  Meridian has coax input and optical input available.

Primary criterion is best sound.  Leaning towards laptop based storage in room via USB to converter, as that would allow me to play with various upsampling and processing routines on the laptop upstream of the Meridian.

Brucemck

Best digital feed
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2006, 03:48 pm »
bump for Wayne!

If I want the absolute best digital feed, what would I buy?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Best digital feed
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2006, 05:47 pm »
Bruce,

You are putting Wayne on the spot and I am not sure he can answer that question "objectively" in his circle.  :| Perhaps you PM him or put the question on square circle.  As for my impression -- no expertise here -- I am not sure yet whether USB to SPDIF converters (Hag Tech and Emprical Audio come to mind) are better than SB or not.  Olive is probably not the best fit since you just want a "transport."  I will say that Bolder modded SB2 with silver Bybee on digital out into my DAC is very good.  A stand alone NAS unit with imbedded OS and Slimserver addon (I use 1 TB Infrant unit plugged into a wireless access point) allows you instant access to all your ripped music without your computer needing to be on.  I keep my NAS 2 floors away from my music room.

Wayne1

Best digital feed
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2006, 07:51 pm »
Quote from: Brucemck
bump for Wayne!

If I want the absolute best digital feed, what would I buy?

I do not know. I spend most of my time on my bench modding SB, building PS and cables. I do not get out all that much to hear many different choices.

I do not have or use a separate DAC. My systems use modded Panasonic digital receivers. I do feed them with a digital out from my SB. That is the best digital out that I have heard. A SB with a silver Bybee purifier in the line sounds best to me.

I have heard a stock olive through analog outs. I have never listened to one through the digital out.

The absolute best sound from a hard drive that I have heard is a modded SB2 analog out direct to an amplifier with no preamp or external DAC in the signal path.