Any way to pull only audio tracks off a DVD with a computer?

drphoto

I would love to pull the audio track off my Neil Finn "7 Worlds" DVD to stream through my SB. (the CD version doesn't have all the songs)

I use a Mac w/ iTunes for ripping. When the DVD is loaded there doesn't appear to be a way to access only the audio.

A friend of mine has a PC. Any of those ripper/extractor programs capable of this?

jakepunk

« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2006, 02:17 pm »

philipp

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2006, 02:51 pm »
I read the other thread and it answered the question but left the problem unsolved. You wouldn't want to rip DVD-A or DTS audio to a computer unless you: 1) had the software to decode it and 2) had a sound card or connection to a DAC that could convert it to analog.

Since drphoto wants to use iTunes to stream the music through his squeezebox, he'll need to convert the DVD audio to a WAV or AIFF file, at least. On a Mac, the best solution is Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack.  If he then wants to convert that file to an MP3, FLAC, or Apple Lossless, he can do that with iTunes or Max.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2006, 09:47 pm »
I'll give that a shot. Thanks Philip.

wshuff

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2006, 11:36 pm »
Drphoto,

I can't do much more than give you moral support because I'm not sure about the technical aspects of how I did what I did.  But I wondered the same thing about a year ago.  I started searching on the Internet and after 45 minutes or so found a website with several ripping programs.  I downloaded a few, and within no time I was able to rip my DVD of U2 Elevation, strip out the audio, and convert it to a .wav file.  I had to find another program that allowed me to divide the file into chapters for each song, and that took some time, but I ended up with a CD with all the songs from my DVD, ready to play in my car.  

I've since gone through the same process for a couple of other concert DVDs, and each time I have to re-learn how I did it.  Luckily it is pretty intuitive once I find the programs.

What all this means is simply this -- if I can do it, anybody can do it.

Good luck.

Tweaker

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2006, 12:52 am »
I have a sound card with a digital input. I hooked my DVD player up and recorded the Lord of the Rings end credits music off of all three movies using Audio Studio Deluxe which came with the soundcard and then used the Flac Frontend to convert the file.

LightFire

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2006, 03:22 am »
There is a software called DVD Audio Extractor. Search it on Google. You can download a 30 days free demo to check it out.