Just got my OmegaStar 440EX!!!

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« on: 23 May 2006, 11:03 pm »
All I can say is that it was well worth the long wait. Nothing fancy about the look but very good looking none the less. Exotic looks of other amps don't always equate to quality sound as far as I'm concerned. I have a pair of AAD 2001 monitors that are extremely revealing & can really dig deep in the bass notes. I just never heard them sound so good. I actually had to get up & double check that my sub wasn't running because the bass was outright incredible. Low volumn listening is extremely pleasing for the first time. This amp is just so dynamic, quick & musical. I couldn't be happier with my new amp. I've already tossed Freak an e-mail w/ questions about his pre-amps & DAC's. Any recommendations from those of you that already have one?
Thanks

Tweaker

« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2006, 12:30 am »
You might want to do a quick spell check on your post! :lol:
(Welcome to the AudioCircle, by the way!)

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2006, 01:13 am »
Yo Freak, ah I mean Frank. Sorry about that. Not to bad for my first post!!! LOL

Zheeeem

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2006, 10:51 pm »
Uh.  By all means one of Frank's preamps and one of his DACs would be a worthwhile investment.

I have somehow managed to compile two entirely separate complete AVA systems - an older ss setup is used for my HT, and his hybrid tube stuff drives my main system.  I have used AVA preamps as long as I've been into audio, with a FET-5 Mark 2 driving my first "real" system (Thorens TT, BGW 250B amp and some maggie MG-2 speakers).  I have upgraded that preamp several times in the past 30+ years.  (IIRC it was the first Van Alstine product ever reviewed in TAS, and Harry Pearson gave it a rave.)

The biggest change any AVA product ever made in my system was the DAC.  I started with an Omega and now have an Ultra.

My recommendation is to buy both an AVA DAC and preamp, and to buy the best of those you feel comfortable affording.  Of course, I'm biased.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2006, 02:27 am »
Zheeeem, that's good to hear you say that about the DAC. I can't wait to pick up an Ultra DAC, myself!

1PsychProf

DAC - Big Difference
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2006, 08:20 pm »
I have been using the AVA T7ECR pre-amp for about two years or more, and it is a wonderful piece.  I have been thinking about both a DAC and an amp from AVA for some time.

I am powering a pair of the VMPS RM40's.  I have tried a number of amps including the Cary V12R monoblocks.  Nice midrange and treble, but I just didnt feel they controlled the bass very well.  I think that the big 40's need SS power.  I have been using a Sunfire Symphonic Ref 250 for about a year, to fill in the gap until I find something else.  The Sunfire is not a bad unit for what I paid ($900 brand new).  But, I just have the feeling that I can get more out of the VMPS speaker.  Some, including Brian from VMPS recomend the Ampzilla's, but they are hard to find and I dont want to buy some refurbished unit that's 10+ years old.  Some people speak highly of the Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monoblocks.  But, I have enjoyed my AVA preamp so much, I am thinking one of their amps (550EX?) would fit the bill.  I am a bit worried that they might not put out enough power for my speakers.  Does anyone haveany ideas?

Also, I have used and played around with a lot of CDP's over the last few years including units from SimAudio, AudioMecca and Musical Fidelity.  Its my opinion that they all sound pretty much the same, although each unit does have small strengths and weaknesses compared to other ones.  Right now, I am sticking with the Musical Fidelity A308cr, which seems to me to be one of the better at <$2500 new.  I know there is an awful lot of talk about DAC's, but I have never used one.  Does a DAC really make much of a difference?  How do people feel about Frank's DAC compared to some of the others you commonly read about?

Just curious, thanks.  

Dave

warnerwh

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2006, 04:14 am »
Dave: I'm running the AVA 550 on the mid/treble of my Vmps RM 40's and a Rotel SS amp on bottom.  I've not even tried the AVA full range as I feel that at least for technical reasons biamping like this offers the most benefit.

The AVA amp is outstanding on the RM 40's.  You can also adjust the sound a bit with a tube swap. These AVA hybrid amps are not real tubey sounding. In my opinion it's a perfect blend of SS and tubes.  You really lose nothing to either camp that I can tell.

At minimum you should try the 550 on your speakers. I'm sure this amp has the capability to handle our speakers without any problem. The power supply is very stout.  

You have nothing to lose by trying the 550 amplifier as you can give it back if you don't like it. My bet is that you will love it especially since neither a pure tube or pure ss amp has cut it for you.  

If you really want I could hook up the AVA to my RM 40's full range and tell you how good the bass is. I know Tyson who also has RM 40's said the bass was excellent.  This is an area I'm very finicky in.  The little Rotel 991 has excellent bass so I'll leave it alone. I went through a number of amps this past several months and will stay right here as I know that it isn't going to get any better for all intents and purposes.