Resonance coupling and the SqueezeBox

Wayne1

« on: 22 May 2006, 04:52 pm »
I have posted before about the difference in sound I have heard with the SB and Ebony Pucks here

I also mentioned I would post some photos of what I found to be the best way to use the pucks with the SB. Well, here you go

Each use of the SB will be a bit different. I have found with a SB siting directly on a shelf, the sound is improved with two pucks under it. With the SB2 sitting on a "flexy" style rack, it is a large improvement, to my ears. Sitting on the pucks, the SB2 bass tightens up consiedrably. The highs are a bit more smooth.

I recently went over to mgalusha's again for more listening to the difference the pucks make with his rack and system. We tried them under his highly modded SB2 with the same results as before.

We also tried them under his phono preamp and main preamp. He uses those just for listening to his Teres TT. He was using Herbie's footers under each. When the pucks were put in, the sound improved to us. The bass was somewhat muddy and bloated with the Herbies. It changed to be VERY tight. Imaging resolved to be pinpoint.

At least with Mike's system and rack, coupling with the ebony pucks sounded better than isolation with the Herbie's footers.

At $30.00 each, the pucks are not real cheap, but they are also not very expensive for the improvement they can bring.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2006, 05:14 pm »
Wayne,

Have you tried these pucks under the upgraded power supplies?

George

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2006, 05:31 pm »
George,

I do not have any of the good, better, or best supplies on hand, broken in.

My supply and Mike's supply uses a different case.

Jerry has a couple of the pucks that he likes under the SB. He has a very similar case to the new PS. I do not know if he has tried them with the PS, yet.

We did try the pucks under my supply and it did improve things on Mike's shelf. I also tried one of the large pucks in the middle of the top of the case and sonics improved.

Each system and rack AND component will be a bit different. So far I like what I am hearing with coupling vs. isolation.