GIK panels

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
GIK panels
« Reply #20 on: 23 May 2006, 02:58 am »
Nice to see you here, Glenn- it's cool to get info "from the horses mouth" so to speak.  At the risk of sounding cheap (although I am! :lol: ), especially given the already-low pricing of the GIK panels, have you ever considered creating a "room pack" type deal?  The volume might save a bit on shipping and sell more panels.

Glenn K

GIK panels
« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2006, 11:52 am »
We have thought about putting together a "room pack", but the big problem is no 2 rooms are the same. Yes there are the standard 8 GIK 244s and 6 GIK 242 purchases but not as much as one would think. Just about every large purchase I sit on the phone with the customer and work through the room. But what you said is well taken and will give it more thought.
Now with that said if you call me up and are looking to buy 15 or so total panels I try everything in my power to give you the best price I can. Mind you that we really do not have the profit in our product like other companies ( NOTE ** I am NOT talking about Real Traps  :nono: )

Glenn

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
GIK panels
« Reply #22 on: 23 May 2006, 12:22 pm »
Glen,

When I was shopping for room treatment, Ethan's 10% off for a "room" package of 10 or more played a role.  Instead of 7 I thought I have to have I  went for 10 because of the discount.  It's something to think about.

Glenn K

GIK panels
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2006, 02:18 pm »
Well with the new product we have hitting the market  :mrgreen: next week I am sure we will come up with something like that. opps did I almost let the cat out of the bag?  :P

mfsoa

GIK panels
« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2006, 03:27 pm »
Glenn,
Is there any benefit to offsetting your panels from the wall, or do you consider them offset already due to the framing?
Specifically, I have some 2" GIKs that I could see "breathing" better if there was a small air gap between frame and wall.

Thanks for your opinion! (BTW I am very pleased with the price/performance ratio of the GIKs that I have)

Glenn K

GIK panels
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2006, 04:07 pm »
It will help spacing if off the wall. Not only a little more low end but sound can come in from the sides, hit the wall then the panel.
space them 2" if you can.

Thanks for the kind words, it really makes cleaning the toilette at the office worth it!!! :mrgreen: The fun things of owning a small business.

Starting a company $50,000
Forgetting about 10 things another $25,000
Cleaning the toilette at the office PRICELESS!!  :mrgreen:

Glenn

fajimr

GIK panels
« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2006, 04:36 pm »
Quote from: Glenn K
opps did I almost let the cat out of the bag?  :P

actually you just showed us the bag.... can you open it up and let us see what's inside??? :lol:

tdangelo

GIK panels
« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2006, 04:59 pm »
Glenn,  are you going to make triangle corner panels like the Echobuster panels?  I have to say the 10 panels I have from you made a huge sound quality improvment in my small room ;)  

Tony D.

Glenn K

GIK panels
« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2006, 05:52 pm »
Quote from: tdangelo
Glenn,  are you going to make triangle corner panels like the Echobuster panels?  I have to say the 10 panels I have from you made a huge sound quality improvment in my small room ;)  

Tony D.

shhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone.  :mrgreen:

http://www.cogburns.com/tritrap1.jpg
http://www.cogburns.com/tritrap2.jpg
http://www.cogburns.com/tritrap3.jpg

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
GIK panels
« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2006, 06:17 pm »
Cool! :)   Looks like a great time to be looking for affordable room treatments. 8)

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
GIK panels
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2006, 06:50 pm »
Nice teaser Glenn.

Glenn K

GIK panels
« Reply #31 on: 24 May 2006, 03:44 pm »
Thanks bpape, but I would call it more bragging. :mrgreen: I am pretty proud of all the people here at GIK for really thinking this thing through. We got to one point where I was ready to give up and the employees would not let me.

Glenn

brj

GIK panels
« Reply #32 on: 24 May 2006, 04:27 pm »
Quote from: Glenn K
shhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone.  :mrgreen:

http://www.cogburns.com/tritrap1.jpg
http://www.cogburns.com/tritrap2.jpg
http://www.cogburns.com/tritrap3.jpg

Those look pretty good, Glenn!

Are they meant to be mounted flush against the wall, or are there standoffs?

Is there a mechanism to mount them along a wall/ceiling joint?

Thanks!

Glenn K

GIK panels
« Reply #33 on: 24 May 2006, 05:40 pm »
They are made to slide right in the corner, no gap needed. You can lay them down floor to wall, but we have not come up with an "easy" way to put them in ceiling to wall corners. They weigh about 20 pounds, so maybe a good bit of Velcro would work, but have not had a change to try it.

Glenn

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
GIK panels
« Reply #34 on: 25 May 2006, 05:03 pm »
I just received six GIK 244 panels earlier this week and am playing around with locations (this is MY room, so anything goes).  Prior, the front of the room was bare painted dryall walls/ceiling with carpet/pad on concrete floor.  So far:

Don't notice much difference between any of the various corner mountings (wall to wall, front wall to floor, or side wall to floor) or a couple of different side wall first reflection mountings (vertical resting on the floor, horizontal resting on small tables, or horizontal resting on a floor to side wall panel).  Using all six in corners provides slightly better bass, but prefer using two at the side wall locations for the improved imaging.

All frequencies have benefitted, but most obvious is midrange.  Sounds are more focused (gone from being larger but fuzzier blobs to smaller and more discrete).  Some recordings benefit more than others.  Imaging on some recordings (with the side wall first reflection mountings) has expanded beyond the width of the speakers.  Nothing sounds worst (which can happen on overly revealing equipment).  

Glenn, is there a preferred corner arrangement for bass reproduction?  What do you recommend for side wall reflections?

Glenn K

GIK panels
« Reply #35 on: 25 May 2006, 07:27 pm »
Quote from: JLM
I just received six GIK 244 panels earlier this week and am playing around with locations (this is MY room, so anything goes).  Prior, the front of the room was bare painted dryall walls/ceiling with carpet/pad on concrete floor.  So far:

Don't notice mush difference between any of the various corner mountings (wall to wall, front wall to floor, or side wall to floor) or a couple of different side wall first reflection mountings (vertical resting on the floor, horizontal resting on small tables, or horiz ...

If you would give me a call and lets go over your room. Most of the time I recommend floor to ceiling in the front corners, but lets talk about it on the phone to figure it out.

Glenn

Mike82

GIK panels
« Reply #36 on: 29 May 2006, 01:42 pm »
Last Friday I visited Glann at his new facility. His new digs will really help with production efficiency. I purchased three 242 panels to augment my existing room treatment which consists of a couple DIY panels which I intended for higher frequencies and eight stacked Auralex MegaLENRDs in the front corners for bass absorption. While my existing treatment was OK, I really knew it could be improved.

I replaced the DIY panels with two 242 on the front wall ond one on the side wall.  I heard a significant difference. The soundstage was much larger and the overall sound was more natural. Like the term, "noise floor" this concept is hard to explain and it really has to be heard to be appreciated. I think I'm going to buy a few more.

The prices on these panels are a steal when compared to comparable products.

BTW, I saw the Tri-traps and the data. Quite impressive. The Tri-traps fit nicely into corners and are very unobtrusive.  I expect the WAF to be very high. I can see these coming to my place soon, too.

Nice work, Glenn.

Mike Masztal

Glenn K

GIK panels
« Reply #37 on: 29 May 2006, 03:29 pm »
Hey Mike,

thank you for stopping by, it was great to meet you. Anytime you just want to come by and hang out feel free.

Glenn

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
GIK panels
« Reply #38 on: 29 May 2006, 07:41 pm »
When are the TriTraps going to be available, and do you have any pricing info?

Glenn K

GIK panels
« Reply #39 on: 30 May 2006, 12:59 pm »
We made a few last week just to work out a couple more production details, but should be up and going by next week (hope I did not just jinxes myself  :mrgreen: ). As far as price point we are trying to keep it around $129.00 each.

Glenn