Zu Druid impedance - change of specsheet?

kck

« on: 20 May 2006, 02:04 pm »
Posting this here rather than AA or Ag as I don't want it to turn into a slugfest with eventual thread deletion.  I noticed that the spec sheet on the Zu website lists the speaker as having 8 ohms impedance, (with parens to show 8 minimum and 12 nominal). That first part is something I don't remember, but it could just be a boomer moment (this is replacing 'senior moment').  I have owned these fine speakers for a few months now so I suppose the argument could go, well if you like them what does a spec sheet matter, but I really am curious as to whether this was a recent change or not. I seem to recall something similar happening with the Tones a couple of months ago.
http://www.zucable.com/druid/specifications.html

ton1313

« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2006, 08:01 pm »
I have had mine for years, and always remember them as being 12 ohms. A quick phone call or email should clear this up.

ton1313

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2006, 02:51 am »
I emailed Sean at Zu, and this is his reply.

The short of it is: they are 8 Ohm minimum at 20 Hz. They rise to a 12 Ohm impedance rather quickly, being nominally 12 Ohm through their bandwidth -- always have been. They rise to a bit over 20 Ohms in the upper band too, and how that all relates to people depends entirely on the amplification they hong on the Druids. No dyanamic loudspeaker has a flat impedance curve, the Druid is flatter than most. It is a 12 Ohm loudspeaker.

So, unlike most 4 Ohm rated speakers that are nominally 4 Ohms, but really more like 3 Ohms or 2.5 even, dipping below 2 Ohms usually at the port tuning; the thing people should try to related to is the percentage spreads, the relationship of 8/12 is not nearly as dramatic as 4/2!

Sean

Hope this clears it up
Todd

Frihed91

In other words
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2006, 07:07 pm »
Very easy load.