2 channel with sub

brosephus

2 channel with sub
« on: 19 May 2006, 04:51 pm »
Ok, i've got full range mains and normally don't use a sub because I like the natural sound the mains give, but I want to hear what it sounds like with the sub for fun. I want to do this with just plain two-channel cd audio. The problem is I use analog outs on my receiver because it just plain sounds better. My receiver will not send the line level signal out to the sub when I am using the analog outs, only when im using optical. Well, optical just sounds aweful compared to the analog outs. Can anyone give me an idea of how to get my sub to function while using the analog outs.

p.s. my sub has rca in's and outs

MaxCast

2 channel with sub
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2006, 09:49 pm »
Your sub only has rca in/outs??
If it has speaker level in/outs try those.  

Does your receiver have a tape loop?  I think you can get line level out through those with the tape monitor engauged.

Levi

2 channel with sub
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2006, 10:02 pm »
I agree.

The best way to add a subwoofer into your current setup is to get a subwoofer that uses High Level speaker input.  You simply run a wire from the amp into the sub.

rockadanny

2 channel with sub
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2006, 09:13 pm »
Levi, why is that the best way, as opposed to line input?

Folsom

2 channel with sub
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2006, 01:39 am »
I disagree.... Most plate amplifiers have 12db octave rolloffs.... I prefer 24db octave crossovers in-signal-line. Well it depends how low your speakers play too. The only way to really have it work out GOOD is for the crossover point to be well below 80hz, which is hard on such a big octave, and considering most subwoofers play up to 80hz with no problem. Well that or your speakers die off where the sub does but in opposite frequency range, mostly naturally, and then set the crossover at that point.

12db octave subwoofer crossed at 80hz with speakers that play lower than 80hz will sound WRONG, trust me I just had to correct this at a local audio shop.

Here is a good question to ask.... how low do your speakers play? How low does your subwoofer play?

Levi

2 channel with sub
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2006, 03:49 am »
Let me clarify things.  You normally will not find a subwoofer output on most of the higher-end 2ch preamps.  Using high-level input would be the best way to add subwoofer in a preamp that does not have sub out.  It also helps if your subwoofer has excellent crossover like REL subs.  

Quote from: rockadanny
Levi, why is that the best way, as opposed to line input?