Olive Music Servers

Wayne1

Olive Music Servers
« on: 17 May 2006, 03:30 pm »
There has been a fair amount of talk about this product.

I have received enquiries if I planned to offer mods for them.

Mike at TweekGeek.com has just announced he will be selling the Olive line.

We have discussed the possibility of his selling fully BOLDER modded units, as well.

To make this happen we will need a guinea pig, er, I mean a beta tester for the mods.

Mike is willing to offer VERY good pricing for one or two folks who wish to buy an Olive Opus or Musica and have me do mods for them. Mods will be done at a deep discount for these couple of beta testers.

When the units have been modded, we can directly compare them to various modded SB here in Denver.

After the dust settles, TweekGeek.com will be able to sell you stock AND modded Olive music servers at VERY good pricing.

Please contact me and/or Mike at TweekGeek.com for more information.

Loftprojection

Olive Music Servers
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2006, 06:04 pm »
Not really interested Wayne but just for your info, tweekgeek is asking $500 more then what Olive posts on their site for the stock unit!!!  I'm not sure what value add they bring for the $500 but if they add even more for your modded versions they might have problems selling them...  By the way, its really an interesting product that will give the conventionnal CDP a big hit...

Wayne1

Olive Music Servers
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2006, 07:00 pm »
I am not sure why Mike has the unit priced at that number on his site.

I do know that he is offering the Opus at a SUBSTANTIAL discount for beta testers.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
Olive Music Servers
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2006, 09:02 pm »
Okay, I just got off the phone with Olive, and here is the deal.  What they are selling online at their store are the previous models with smaller hard drives.  The pricing I have on TweekGeek.com is for the newer models with larger hard drives.  HOWEVER, I can get the older Musicas for the beta testers at a way BETTER price than what is listed on Olive.us.  If you are interested, let me know immediately. I can give you pricing privately, then you can decide.

I will be placing my order with them tomorrow.

Sorry for the confusion.  I was a bit confused about it myself. :o

CornellAlum

Olive Music Servers
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2006, 10:04 pm »
Will these units play 24 bit raw pcm files by any chance?

cryotweaks

• TweekGeek.com
Olive Music Servers
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2006, 10:13 pm »
I see the following compatible formats on the spec sheet:

MP3 and MP3 VBR
MP3 streaming (multi-room)
RAW: AIFF, PCM, WAV
OGG/Vorbis
FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
AAC (MPEG4)

Jon L

Olive Music Servers
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2006, 04:08 pm »
Gawd, I'd love to beta-test the modded Olive against my full-on Audio PC with Lynx 2B (a la VRS), especially since Mike lives near me..

Damn, I just moved into a new house and things are reallyyy tight :(

Wayne1

Olive Music Servers
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2006, 04:39 pm »
Jon,

You may want to check that Mike living near you thing out.

Mike moved to Colorado a few months ago :D

There have been a fair amount of questions about mod pricing. I have yet to see any of the Olive Music Servers on my bench. It is very hard to give pricing figures for the mod.

I am willing to say, that for the Beta testers, the mod will NOT cost over $500.00. It may very well be less. I may also offer the testers some more expensive options. The mod will include power supply rebuild, analog input and output section rebuild. AC inlet replacement, RCA connector replacement. Probably running the analog output direct from the DAC chips. Just about all the things I do to the SB. There may be options for film coupling capacitors, Bybee Purifiers, wiring, etc.

Please check in with Mike at TweekGeek for pricing on the Olive Products.

This IS a limited time offer. I know Mike is anxious to place his order.

cryotweaks

• TweekGeek.com
Olive Music Servers
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2006, 04:48 pm »
I have enough buyers for the volume discount and will be placing my order this afternoon.  For those of you who asked for pricing, subtract another $50, and throw in shipping. Trust me when I say this is a HUGE deal.  

To put it in perspective, beta testers will receive a BOLDER modded Olive Musica for less than the retail price of the current (that is 250gb) stock Musica.

Cheers!

Mike

Jon L

Olive Music Servers
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2006, 06:39 pm »
coloRADO?  Mike, what happened??!!

cryotweaks

• TweekGeek.com
Olive Music Servers
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2006, 07:01 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
coloRADO?  Mike, what happened??!!

A drastic lifestyle change, that's what! :D   The day job, commute and crowds in LA were just too much after 15 years.  So in November, we packed up, and headed west...

The quality of life for us is much better here.  More mountains, less freeway.

I do miss the So Cal gang though.  :cry:

WilliamL

Olive Music Servers
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2006, 01:21 am »
headed west...

Um...You mean East, right? 8)

cryotweaks

• TweekGeek.com
Olive Music Servers
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2006, 01:29 am »
Uh, yes... :oops:

mgalusha

Olive Music Servers
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2006, 01:53 am »
Quote from: cryotweaks
Uh, yes... :oops:

The thin air has caused some problems.  :lol:

cryotweaks

• TweekGeek.com
Olive Music Servers
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2006, 03:16 pm »
It looks like we have out beta testers.  Thanks everyone!

It also looks like Olive is running out of the 160 GB Musica Music servers, and soon only the 250 GB model will be available .

Good news is the Symphny is identical to the Musica electronically and cosmetically, with the exception of storage space.  The Symphony provides 80 GB of built-in disk space.  It shouldn't pose a problem however, since one can attach and external hard disk through one of the two USB ports on the Symphony. at $899, this seems to be the best bargain now.

Cheers!

Mike